British Sitcoms of yesteryear Page 2

Errm 70s & 80s, 'Allo 'Allo! makes me laugh and I'm ashamed to admit that. :P
Dad's Army is excellent, Steptoe & Son and Fawlty Towers are both great.
Yes Minister is one I have never seen but always been intrigued by.

But which one is worth a trip to the amazon(.co.uk)?

I need another boxset to get through.

Yes Minister and Yes, Prime Minister are a MUST. There's a boxset of the complete both. Five series, combined.

Nothing wrong with loving 'Allo 'Allo!. :)

I'll also suggest Man About The House, George & Mildred (its superior spinoff), and Bless This House. Then there's the Doctor shows, Only When I Laugh, etc. I don't think that Open All Hours has been mentioned either.

Oh, and it's a bit further back (1966), but I really really can't recommend George & The Dragon enough. I love it.

I bought my father the recently released 'Til Death Us Do Part' series 4 and 5 box set (1974-75), which he's let me borrow, and I'm rather enjoying.

It's probably not for everyone. Many of the young fragile audiences of today will probably consider it too offensive and slow moving. Each episode is pretty much a 1/2 hour tirade yelled by Alf and I think it's wonderful.

I'll have to get a copy for myself.

The Young Ones.

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ October 30 2008, 1:02 AM BST

I bought my father the recently released 'Til Death Us Do Part' series 4 and 5 box set (1974-75)

Oh you lucky Region 4 folks.

Quote: chipolata @ October 29 2008, 2:33 PM BST

Ever Decreasing Circles if you want to see Richard Briers finest performance, and a much overlooked gem of a show.

I've just got the complete series boxed set. It's every bit as good as I remember it.

As for a recommendation, I would suggest Hi-De-Hi!. It ran for too long but when it was good, it was very good.

I would second The Young Ones

I would also add:

Shelley
Rising Damp
The Fall & Rise of Reginald Perrin
Keep it in the Family
To the Manor Born
Grace & Favour
Filthy, Rich & Catflap

Def.

Quote: Ian G @ November 6 2008, 10:07 PM GMT

As for a recommendation, I would suggest Hi-De-Hi!. It ran for too long but when it was good, it was very good.

Yes, it was good. I particularly remember the chad episode.

I've got to catch up on Shelley, I only remember seeing some of the later ones with the excellent David Ryall as the landlord.

The Brittas Empire.

:S

The Brittas Empire. Dire.

Steptoe And Son will always be my favourite, when you look at EVERYTHING else that was around in 1962 - 1970 NOTHING could touch it.

I think Fawlty Towers has to be the best comedy.
Dad's Army comes very close.
I also loved On The Buses, and that was the only comedy that I enjoyed that was on ITV.
The best comedies were no doubt, from the 1970s, and I doubt if there will ever be anything else that could match them.
The last decent modern comedy series I liked was Goodnight Sweetheart, and that was from the 1990s.

If you want a boxset, then may I suggest the complete On The Buses boxset, which is due out at the end of the month.
I loved every episode from all 7 series of the show, and even the 3 films they made.
Very sad to hear this week of the death of Reg Varney aged 92.

I want the original On The Buses box set! :(

I'll throw in The Goodies, Ronnie Barker's Clarence and The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin. Clarence is a bit of a forgotten classic, I think!

I'm really not sure what to make of Clarence. I want to like it. It's got quite a nice atmosphere/feeling to it. But it's missing something. I can't work out what though.