Status report Page 5,640

Bill, aren't you exempt when you hit 70? That's the rule here. One of the perks I look forward to.

Apparently you can opt out after 71.

Just wear an I voted UKIP tshirt.

You'll be to mad and racist to be a juror apparently.

Will cam is on a virgin train(1st class of course) on route to the good old north from the stinky south.

Quote: Ben @ 24th May 2014, 4:09 PM BST

Surely it's a massive bore what with being cooped up in a courtroom?

:O

Not with me it isn't. Trials with me are a roller coaster ride of craziness. :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 24th May 2014, 4:14 PM BST

Being involved in an actual case was always interesting, and the debating afterwards. Plus half the time you might not be on a case, so you're not in court, you just hang out for a couple of hours, take a couple of books and your MP3 player, have a bit of a chat, watch telly. If it gets to about one and you're not on a case yet, you can go home!

That's one of the things you don't realise about Jury service, you might not always even be on a case. You're in a big room full of people and names are called out randomly each time a new case is about to start. Some people never actually get put on a case.

Nice that you had such a positive experience - I know a lot of people don't expect to be waiting around a lot and find it very frustrating. Even if you are on a case, there is often a lot of waiting, as barristers and judge sort out legal stuff in court. We are working, even if you are waiting! I think a lot of jurors have the perception that we've all gone down the pub for an hour.

Quote: billwill @ 24th May 2014, 3:27 PM BST

Oh Ferk.... I've been called for Jury service !!

I imagine you are going to either H or WG - in which case, I have a couple of trials there starting soon. Would be funny if I was the barrister on one of your cases!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaS2sy2rXes&feature=kp

don't you mean Alan Bennett class.

Ben's just remembered he needs to go outside and get something from the car. Time to get vaguely dressed.

Quote: Ben @ 24th May 2014, 11:16 PM BST

Ben's just remembered he needs to go outside and get something from the car. Time to get vaguely dressed.

I'll let someone else ask . . .

Quote: Jennie @ 24th May 2014, 10:17 PM BST

:O

Not with me it isn't. Trials with me are a roller coaster ride of craziness. :)

Nice that you had such a positive experience - I know a lot of people don't expect to be waiting around a lot and find it very frustrating. Even if you are on a case, there is often a lot of waiting, as barristers and judge sort out legal stuff in court. We are working, even if you are waiting! I think a lot of jurors have the perception that we've all gone down the pub for an hour.

I imagine you are going to either H or WG - in which case, I have a couple of trials there starting soon. Would be funny if I was the barrister on one of your cases!

Ah, indeed WG. It would be nice to see you in action. Though I presume you would not be allowed to talk to me in the lobby (until any case is done).

The reply form is ambiguous, it asks if I'm over 70 & if so directs me straight to the sign-off box, implying I don't have to answer the query about whether I'm on bail or work for the courts or prison service.

So it looks as if they can't quite make up their minds about whether or not to use oldies like me.

Ben is raring to go on this fun packed Sunday. He's still in bed, but very positive he will achieve today.

Not happy!

Virgin! Fix my broadband you tossers! It's been hours now.

So how are you posting ???

Ben has got some alcohol swilling about inside him.

Quote: billwill @ 25th May 2014, 8:19 PM BST

So how are you posting ???

Mobile.

Sat in the living room whilst my mum listening to my play based on my family in the kitchen. It could not be more weird!