Status report Page 5,639

Ben is keeping cool by directing an electric fan down his body. Heaven.

Has decided to be spontaneous and go to a late movie rather tgan sit at home. The upside is I'm not paying for the film beacause I have a gift card. Downside is I have to pay for a taxi home as its after the buses close to my house stop. I could get a bus part way home and walk the last 15 minutes... It would proberly be safe but would rather ruin my day if I got attacked.

Oh Ferk.... I've been called for Jury service !!

Quote: billwill @ 24th May 2014, 3:27 PM BST

Oh Ferk.... I've been called for Jury service !!

They even call people in when they're retired? Where's the fun in getting two weeks off work?!

I've done jury service twice. Enjoyed it both times. The second time I managed to drag it out into a third week.

'Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?'

Jury service is fun and besides Bill you could just say you were born before Magna Carta was signed.

Now where's my pedants hat? Ah! Here it is!

The Magna Carta wasn't signed it was sealed.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 24th May 2014, 3:43 PM BST

Enjoyed it both times.

How can it be enjoyable? Surely it's a massive bore what with being cooped up in a courtroom?

Quote: Ben @ 24th May 2014, 4:09 PM BST

How can it be enjoyable? Surely it's a massive bore what with being cooped up in a courtroom?

Being involved in an actual case was always interesting, and the debating afterwards. Plus half the time you might not be on a case, so you're not in court, you just hang out for a couple of hours, take a couple of books and your MP3 player, have a bit of a chat, watch telly. If it gets to about one and you're not on a case yet, you can go home!

That's one of the things you don't realise about Jury service, you might not always even be on a case. You're in a big room full of people and names are called out randomly each time a new case is about to start. Some people never actually get put on a case.

Quote: Ben @ 24th May 2014, 4:09 PM BST

Have you not seen A Few Good Men?

Quote: sootyj @ 24th May 2014, 4:15 PM BST

Have you not seen A Few Good Men?

I haven't even seen one in my lifetime.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 24th May 2014, 4:14 PM BST

If it gets to about one and you're not on a case yet, you can go home!

That sounds very enjoyable. I'd probably go for an ice cream in the afternoon. Even if it was snowing.

I've been on jury service once before & I agree that it isn't too bad once you are at the Court, but the pain is that it almost always requires travel ACROSS your borough and that is a P-I-T-A because most transport routes are designed to get you in & out of central London. Driving instead is a different PITA, because you never know whether you will find parking at any given area in London and may well end up getting a £60 to £120 parking fine.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 24th May 2014, 4:08 PM BST

I think there were actually THREE Magna Cartas. King John didn't really obey the first one, I think, and the Barons did another one some years later.

I remember reading the versions & noticing that the Welshmen didn't get mentioned in the later one, whereas in the first they were referred to almost as if they were slaves or uncouth barbarians deserving no consideration whatsoever.

Ben is off to mix up a whiskey sour and turn the football on.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 24th May 2014, 4:08 PM BST

Signed sealed, delivered whatever its yours