Status report Page 5,411

Or pear cider

Scrumping for fruit is tautological. Scrumping for apples is more arguable. Scrumping usually refers to apples but not exclusively. Hence I rule in favour of the defendant Sootyj.

I drink Calvados which you can call apple brandy ;) (can't find an apple emotion)

The Court of Appeal having yet to hear of cherry scrumpy, assumes the verb 'to scrump' to refer in its natural sense to apples; it might by analogy be possible to refer to 'scrumping cherries', but used unmodified by reference to any other fruit, the default meaning of scrumping is the theft of apples, making it tautologous to refer to the scrumping of apples. The verdict of the lower court is accordingly overturned.

Quote: Badge @ 18th November 2013, 3:59 PM GMT

Scrumping for fruit is tautological. Scrumping for apples is more arguable. Scrumping usually refers to apples but not exclusively. Hence I rule in favour of the defendant Sootyj.

Overruled! Where's the woman with briefs when you need one!

Quote: Tursiops @ 18th November 2013, 4:22 PM GMT

The Court of Appeal having yet to hear of cherry scrumpy, assumes the verb 'to scrump' to refer in its natural sense to apples; it might by analogy be possible to refer to 'scrumping cherries', but used unmodified by reference to any other fruit, the default meaning of scrumping is the theft of apples, making it tautologous to refer to the scrumping of apples. The verdict of the lower court is accordingly overturned.

Thank you M'Lud!

Further to the ruling of Tursiops, he is correct that the definition of scrumping does not apply to cherries. However it could apply to pears. My client therefore seeks higher appeal and windfall damages. It is the core issue of exclusivity that is at stake. If scrumping can be used in relation to any fruit other than apples the test for tautology has failed. It is the defence's case that scrumping for pears is an acceptable though rare application. Or appleication if you prefer. It's no skin off mine.

The learned counsel will next be attempting to convince the court that there is such a thing as 'pear cider'; no Conference with counsel is necessary and the appeel is dismissed. You're no Perry Mason.

I refer you to the ruling of Gold and Elicious.

You lot are giving me the pip.

"stalks off"

I would suggest that scrumping is not out and out theft, but as accepted by common custom and practice is in fact a far lesser offence. Or at least that was my argument when I was caught scrumping cars...

Ankle and leg hurt. F**king agony.

Bleedin' clever !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brHqBcZqNzE

Ben feels like he has just seen a ghost due to James Cotter reappearing on the boards.

Quote: William Purry @ 18th November 2013, 6:07 PM GMT

Ankle and leg hurt. F**king agony.

Did you fall over?

Quote: Ben @ 18th November 2013, 6:15 PM GMT

Ben feels like he has just seen a ghost due to James Cotter reappearing on the boards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VlGyMG0ksg