The Peter Serafinowicz Show Page 7

Quote: Mark @ October 12, 2007, 12:14 PM

I don't watch daytime TV :P

Neither do I. :P

(Must be UKTV Gold and/or Paramount ads.)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 12, 2007, 6:10 PM

Really surprised at the reaction to the second episode, I thought it was great! I thought episode one was ok, but that this one was much, much better. Butterfield in ep1 was crap, in ep 2 he was hilarious! James bond, o news, poison plugs, the fantastic and out of nowhere shopping channel vampire, the kill the french ambassador phone in quiz, basil fawlty; really, really strong stuff and Im a little bit knocked back by the cries of'it was shit' that im reading!!! I was laughing all the way through and have high hopes now for the rest of the series.

Yeah I'm quite shocked at some of the reactions too. Especially as some of the tripe that gets praised here like Gavin and Stacey and Roman's Empire, so I'm genuinely surprised at the distaste for this, I know everyone has differing opinions but the very strong hate for this seems baffling. It had hardly any recurring sketches from the first episode too which feels fresh in a sketch show nowadays, when the shopping channel first came on I thought "oh same old stuff again"..but the dracula twist was hilariously brilliant.

Hi everyone

I find this refreshing and inventive, but not sure many would laugh out loud.

I laughed out loud at the Butter one even though I knew what was going to happen and it went on for quite a while, "American" being my fave. + "And there's more" + "There's no more"

They were saying on 'Serious About Comedy' that these things have been done before, and better. That's how I looked at it. The Paul McCartney voice was brilliant and the Butterfield guy looks funny because you know who he's supposed to be but the writing is very lazy.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ October 12, 2007, 8:14 PM

Yeah I'm quite shocked at some of the reactions too. Especially as some of the tripe that gets praised here like Gavin and Stacey

Laughing out loud I think one person praised G & S. Maybe its BBC 2 telling us Thursday are funny when they ain't. Its like Tony Blair saying there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq when they ain't. Or Jesus saying Christians should forgive when they don't. Or the weather girl saying its raining men when it ain't. Or Jake Gyllinghal (?) having a ginger beard when he ain't. Or drinks companies telling you to drink responsibly which if anyone who has drunk alcohol knows is impossible.

Quote: ajp29 @ October 12, 2007, 10:57 PM

Laughing out loud I think one person praised G & S. Maybe its BBC 2 telling us Thursday are funny when they ain't. Its like Tony Blair saying there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq when they ain't. Or Jesus saying Christians should forgive when they don't. Or the weather girl saying its raining men when it ain't. Or Jake Gyllinghal (?) having a ginger beard when he ain't. Or drinks companies telling you to drink responsibly which if anyone who has drunk alcohol knows is impossible.

Laughing out loud

No I'm sure there were quite a lot of G&S supporters on here. The BBC aren't lying when they say Thursdays are funny though...it's just that it's not on BBC2 but on Paramount1 with a double bill of The Sarah Silverman Programme and then Channel 5 with Californication and 30 Rock. :)

Yeah I'm quite shocked at some of the reactions too. Especially as some of the tripe that gets praised here like Gavin and Stacey and Roman's Empire, so I'm genuinely surprised at the distaste for this, I know everyone has differing opinions but the very strong hate for this seems baffling. It had hardly any recurring sketches from the first episode too which feels fresh in a sketch show nowadays, when the shopping channel first came on I thought "oh same old stuff again"..but the dracula twist was hilariously brilliant.

In fairness, I think that Gavin and Stacey and Roman's Empire were as rubbish as Serafinowicz. Simon Cowell calling people Immanuel Kant's, Yoko influencing Lennon; the Fawlty Towers hotline might be funny if he wasn't using such stale jokes himself. Still, the pilot was apparently good and with two writers it's hard to sustain quality for a series. Maybe next weeks episode will bring improvement.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ October 12, 2007, 11:17 PM

Laughing out loud

No I'm sure there were quite a lot of G&S supporters on here. The BBC aren't lying when they say Thursdays are funny though...it's just that it's not on BBC2 but on Paramount1 with a double bill of The Sarah Silverman Programme and then Channel 5 with Californication and 30 Rock. :)

Yes bang on Martin

Quote: Cinnamon @ October 12, 2007, 11:19 PM

Still, the pilot was apparently good and with two writers it's hard to sustain quality for a series.

They don't just have 2 writers though do they?

It had hardly any recurring sketches from the first episode too which feels fresh in a sketch show nowadays, when the shopping channel first came on I thought "oh same old stuff again"..but the dracula twist was hilariously brilliant.

I disagree that they didn't have many recurring sketches. Things like Butterfield, O News, the robot talk show host, Simon Cowell, actor's workshop etc. were all in the first ep. Also several sketches had already been repeated several times in that first ep. and many were repeated too often here again.

O! News, the sketch on which the whole series is based, is IMO one of the worst. Absolute shite.

This actually reminds me of a sketch in The Day Today (can't remember the name of it) when they crossed over for American news. That was one of the weakest sketches from that series as well if memory serves.

Quote: Aaron @ October 14, 2007, 11:21 AM

O! News, the sketch on which the whole series is based, is IMO one of the worst. Absolute shite.

I love the o news bits, if you happen to ever watch the E channel its a very funny piss take; just going a little bit further into the ridiculous than they do themselves.

Errr.. quite a few people liked G&S that's why there is a huge thread about it. Back to topic, I'm glad some other people liked ep 2 too. I also agree that Thursdays are funny on other channels.

Quote: Nick @ October 14, 2007, 10:54 AM

I disagree that they didn't have many recurring sketches. Things like Butterfield, O News, the robot talk show host, Simon Cowell, actor's workshop etc. were all in the first ep. Also several sketches had already been repeated several times in that first ep. and many were repeated too often here again.

Yeah but I mean they didn't do the same sketch two weeks in a row, like say Little Britain or Catherine Tate you have pretty much the exact same sketch every single week. Although Butterfield and the Actors Workshop returned they were completely different jokes. The Michael-6 bit may be a little similar though I agree, forgot about that one.

I also love the O News! bit because they are bang on with the style of E News! And the cross over of the French Ambassador joke into another sketch was nice to see, that again doesn't happen much nowadays in sketch shows.