The Peter Serafinowicz Show Page 8

Quote: Martin Holmes @ October 14, 2007, 5:39 PM

... like say Little Britain or Catherine Tate you have pretty much the exact same sketch every single week. Although Butterfield and the Actors Workshop returned they were completely different jokes.

What show were you watching? Sorry, but it certainly wasn't the same one I was. Particularly with the dire Actors Workshop sketch, it was pretty much bang-on identical, from what I could see. And that wouldn't have been a problem if it were funny in the first place.

Quote: Aaron @ October 14, 2007, 6:46 PM

What show were you watching? Sorry, but it certainly wasn't the same one I was. Particularly with the dire Actors Workshop sketch, it was pretty much bang-on identical, from what I could see. And that wouldn't have been a problem if it were funny in the first place.

The Actors workshop one in the first one was Michael Caine talking about positioning in a film and then secondly how things look different through camera. In the second ep it was Al Pacino talking about how to cry and secondly how to do a London accent. So how are they the same apart from not being particularly funny?

I get what Martin is saying about not the same jokes, but the same characters. The Butterfield one was very different from the first one too.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ October 14, 2007, 6:59 PM

The Actors workshop one in the first one was Michael Caine talking about positioning in a film and then secondly how things look different through camera. In the second ep it was Al Pacino talking about how to cry and secondly how to do a London accent. So how are they the same apart from not being particularly funny?

Both feature well-known, A-list actors. Both feature their respective actors making really, really pathetic attempts to enlighten a small audience of their techniques. Both feature said audience eating it up with no objection or questioning. Different techniques leading to the setup of the exact same joke. How's that any different to the different circumstances Daffyd finds himself in, surrounded by evidence of other homosexuals, insisting he's the only gay in the village?

Quote: Aaron @ October 14, 2007, 7:30 PM

Both feature well-known, A-list actors. Both feature their respective actors making really, really pathetic attempts to enlighten a small audience of their techniques. Both feature said audience eating it up with no objection or questioning. Different techniques leading to the setup of the exact same joke. How's that any different to the different circumstances Daffyd finds himself in, surrounded by evidence of other homosexuals, insisting he's the only gay in the village?

Because in a lot of those kind of sketches, it is more or less exactly, word for word, the same sketch; such as lou turning away and andy getting up out of his chair; its exactly the same. With the actiors studio, for instance, the material was different but in the same basic set up; thats why I personally think its different and valid. Every episode of Father Ted, for instance, has the same basic surrounding and set up, but whats contained within is its own episode, new material within a returning format; and Im sure you wouldnt accuse that of just being the same old repetative tosh each week just because the set up is the same. With little britain, or similar shows of late, the sketches are more or less carbon copies of last weeks, or last series. Theres nothing new, no development, no new gags or bits, you may as well be watching last weeks.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 14, 2007, 7:58 PM

Because in a lot of those kind of sketches, it is more or less exactly, word for word, the same sketch; such as lou turning away and andy getting up out of his chair; its exactly the same. With the actiors studio, for instance, the material was different but in the same basic set up; thats why I personally think its different and valid.

With little britain, or similar shows of late, the sketches are more or less carbon copies of last weeks, or last series. Theres nothing new, no development, no new gags or bits, you may as well be watching last weeks.

Sorry, but for me, you're being far too analytical with LB and nowhere near enough with TPSS. IMO, the only real difference is that the character is literally the same in each LB sketch. In TPSS on the other hand, they're not - but may as well be. It's a different face and voice, but ultimately identical.

Quote: Aaron @ October 14, 2007, 8:10 PM

Sorry, but for me, you're being far too analytical with LB and nowhere near enough with TPSS. IMO, the only real difference is that the character is literally the same in each LB sketch. In TPSS on the other hand, they're not - but may as well be. It's a different face and voice, but ultimately identical.

The only difference is the character is literally the same? Really? I think most people would agree that its not only the characters, but really the scripts that are almost identical, nothing new, in general, is brought to the table. Thats not being over analytical, just being fed up with being fed an identical script week after week and expected still to laugh for three series. All im saying is that though its the same set up in the actors studio bit, the actual contents are sufficently different to elicit a new laugh. Im not saying theyre great sketches in themselves, just that saying a man claiming that on screen sausages look like cigars is the same joke as someone thinking of an ant with cancer to make themselves cry on camera, is not true. In my opinion. And all that.

Would agree with Matthew here. LB did start to repeat its self almost word for word. Aaron, i think (so disregard at your will) if you analyse these sketches to that level then most sketch shows are the same and most sitcoms too. You could say most sitcoms get the main character in trouble and then he has to get out of it with the help of his friends.

For example, with LB you could predict what was going to happen when you see Lou and Andy approach an abandoned bicycle. Its not like you can predict what is going to happen when Al Pacino starts talking to the audience about how he cries.

I saw lots of words in the last few posts.

Are we all agreed though that basically it's crap?

Quote: David Chapman @ October 14, 2007, 8:52 PM

i think so.

Quote: David Chapman @ October 14, 2007, 8:52 PM

I disagree and here's why...

I am Leevil.

Wave

"... Hear me roar. RAOAAOOOOOOOOOOOAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!"

Quote: ContainsNuts @ October 14, 2007, 3:10 PM

Errr.. quite a few people liked G&S that's why there is a huge thread about it.

Errr... Did you read all the posts?

There are a couple of differences that I can think of between Little Britain and this show.

The first is that LB's characters were strong enough to be repeated several times (definitely throughout the 1st series) before the novelty wore off. The characters and situations in this show don't seem half as memorable and there seems to be less scope for things like the QVC sketch.

Also, even though people complain about LB now, they didn't for quite a while. With The PS show though, people were complaining after 1 ep that some characters had been repeated too much.

I wasn't complaining about LB as the characters were so funny i enjoyed watching the sketches again.

And yes, ajp, I read the G&S thread and I am aware that plenty of people hated it, but not all.

this show is certainly causing some comment on this forum,but there's no getting away from the fact that the 1st show was ok, but the 2nd show was very poor indeed...........let's hope he's had his "difficult 3rd album" a bit earlier than normal!