Dead Set - Charlie Brooker's Horror Show Page 7

I actually thought it would be TCR. Spooky.

(I know they do quite a bit of filming there, so it's quite possible.)

I asked Channel 4 for a tape of this show so I could see how much comedy was in it... to do so I've had to sign a two page legal document which stops me from revealing pretty much anything about the show, but what I can say is as follows...

1. IMHO, the humour element in Dead Set makes up about only 2% of the show - it's very much a zombie show first and foremost. Charlie Brooker has put in about two deliberate comedy scenes per episode and there's a smattering of witty lines on top of that - but the rest is pretty much wall-to-wall drama/horror/tension. So don't expect to laugh much.

2. If you also like horror films, you'll like this. The negatives for me were I found the camerawork a bit too fast moving / wobbly at times (the zombies run!) and some of the lighting a bit dark, but it does a great job of building tension.

If you're interested in checking it out, it starts next Monday (27th) at 10pm with a feature length double-episode. What I would say though is, if you've only got time to watch one episode tune into the final one on the Friday (31st October). It's easily the best episode. Sadly I'm not allowed to say why - but, yeah, it's a half-hour to watch!

Oooo I can't wait! I love zombies. *writes to C4 for tape*

Hm. This should be very interesting then. I'll definitely try it, but have not the foggiest what to expect. The closest I've got to zombies is Shaun Of The Dead.

*Puts his Zombie Film script back on shelf*

Sounds good I'll be checking that out.

Quote: Aaron @ October 23 2008, 12:05 AM BST

Hm. This should be very interesting then. I'll definitely try it, but have not the foggiest what to expect. The closest I've got to zombies is Shaun Of The Dead.

Pretty much it. Shaun of dead was A homage to the classics.

Quote: Gavin @ October 23 2008, 12:07 AM BST

*Puts his Zombie Film script back on shelf*

GAV! Look out! It's coming to life!

*picks up shotgun*

Everybody, head for the basement! Aaron can board the windows!

I'm not going down there, that's where they put Fostyboy.

I have a shotgun, it's ok.

Quote: Aaron @ October 23 2008, 12:05 AM BST

It's hard to describe... because its not really like anything that's gone before it but I suppose Shaun is as close as one could get to a comparison. Dead Set is more 'realistic' though and, unlike Pegg's film, is not aiming to be funny for the most of the time - it's out to scare.

Is it being released on DVD anytime soon? Not sure I can be arsed staying up to watch all five episodes next week.

Quote: Leevil @ October 22 2008, 5:22 PM BST

American Werewolf is fantastic!! Rik Mayell makes a cameo at the start. I love it and want to watch it now!

That's the mark of a great film. Once you start talking about it, you want to see it again immediately! I'm like that with The Day the Earth Stood Still, Withnail & I and The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I'll be watching this programme, as I'm a big fan of zombie films, all the George A. Romero ones except for the latest one, and some of the Italian rip-offs as well. Zombie films are the only kind of film to leave me feeling uneasy afterwards. Watch one in the dark and then go upstairs to bed!

I hated Shaun of the Dead, so I'm glad this is going to be straight horror, rather than a comedy.

Quote: Bad dog @ October 23 2008, 2:29 PM BST

I'm like that with The Day the Earth Stood Still

I can't believe they've remade it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A_bNDv0-ZrU

I heard they were going to, but didn't know they'd got that far. Trailer looks average, CGI is par for the course these days. I try not to watch remakes, so I will have to get the original DVD out and watch that instead. Klaatu barada nikto = don't watch remakes.

Despite what was IMO a bit of a shit start, that was actually very good. My favourite bit is still that they dropped the credits entirely though.

Yes, Brooker knows what they do with credits!