Not Going Out - Series 3 Page 59

Grass was not a great show. I doubt if even Andrew Collins would say that. In fact, it were bloody awful. If I was given a choice about what 2 characters from the Fast Show would be the least likely to be made into sitcoms it would have been Swiss Tony and "You can't sit there" bloke that ended up in Grass. Two weak ideas that should never have seen the light of day. And the Norfolk accents in Grass were diabolic as well.

Shame about Not Going Out. Wasn't a massive fan but it was better than most things on.

Quote: zooo @ March 30 2009, 1:32 PM BST

Same with The Smoking Room.
And cancelled just after it won a Bafta or two.

Cretins.

I think The Smoking Room had run its course. Great show, though.

I think it had one more series in it! (So did all the writers and actors).

Quote: Andrew Collins @ March 30 2009, 1:39 PM BST

There are other avenues. All we know is that BBC1 don't want a fourth series. We'd love to make a fourth series. These are the facts.

Maybe the BBC aren't so bad after all. :)

Smoking Room was wound up quite effectively though wasn't it? Or was Series 2 written with the axe in mind? As with Pulling-that's getting a 'special' to wrap it up.

NGO is just going to be left dangling. Ho hum.

Yes I hear 2 and 3 are charming. Even 4 at a pinch.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 30 2009, 1:53 PM BST

Smoking Room was wound up quite effectively though wasn't it? Or was Series 2 written with the axe in mind?

No, I think they were planning the third when they got the axe.

Quote: Mark @ March 30 2009, 1:38 PM BST

I just don't understand the BBC... ever since My Family they've been trying to create a mainstream sitcom that the audience like... and then, after years in the wilderness (Mad About Alice etc), when they finally do find a couple (Not Going Out and After You've Gone)... they cancel them!

They cancelled After You've Gone?? I liked that. In the same mould as My Family. Only funny. :$

Well they had better have some good stuff in the pipline...

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 30 2009, 2:04 PM BST

They cancelled After You've Gone?? I liked that. In the same mould as My Family. Only funny. :$

Yes, it was cancelled a number of weeks into the writing of the already long-commissioned fourth series.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I may say something slightly more articulate once I've calmed down, but for now I think that sums up my feelings! What awful news :(

Quote: Yellows 586 @ March 30 2009, 1:43 PM BST

Grass was not a great show. I doubt if even Andrew Collins would say that.

Yes, you're spot on. I don't know what we were thinking. Grass was not a great show. We should have made something great.

(Actually, Simon and I remain very proud of Grass, not least the production values, the locations, and the fact that it was a serial, which still goes against the grain of comedy. Sorry about that. My advice to you: when you slag something off, which you're entitled to do, don't presumptuously expect the *writer of the show* to join in. Unless, of course, your intention is to wind him up, in which case, job done.)

Swiss Tony and "You can't sit there" bloke ...

Swiss Toni and "There's someone sitting there, mate" bloke. If you're going to rubbish my work, be accurate.

Two weak ideas that should never have seen the light of day.

Thank God you're not a station controller.

Sorry, Andrew. probably not the best time to mention it really. Although I would say that I was accurate about Grass being rubbish. Only joking.

Quote: Andrew Collins @ March 30 2009, 4:12 PM BST

Thank God you're not a station controller.

I am. Norwich train station in fact. On a Fast Show related note, I'll get me coat.

Would ITV not pick it up?

I do hope you take it elsewhere Andrew. It's one of a few shows to get nearly nothing but positive reviews.

I also hope Mack gets to do something new (probably on another network). These last few years, he's gone from occasional telly appearances to one of the UK A-list stand ups. And he deserves it.

Quote: The Cool Mikado @ March 30 2009, 4:19 PM BST

Would ITV not pick it up?

ITV are skint, that's the only problem.

It's when they do things like this that I wonder what it is that the BBC are actually looking for. Viewing figures at all costs? Traditionally I'd always viewed the BBC as somewhere sitcoms could grow and gain a following like Men Behaving Badly.

Seems they want an instant hit. That can be the only excuse for Horne & Corden.... critics circling round Little Britain, best get some edgy comedy out quick with 'guaranteed' audiences attached to the 'stars'.

Oh dear. What next?

Sorry, did the BBC mistake Not Going Out for Coming Of Age or something? What an awful mistake BBC! The fools. The big foolish fools!

Not Going Out is (or do I have to put 'was' now?) one of the finest modern audience sitcoms. They should have been allowed to carry on as long as the writers and actors felt comfortable with it.

Not Going Out really lived up to its name. Never missed an episode.