Not Going Out - Series 3 Page 58

Don't worry - we will. ;)

Seriously pissed off by this. Generally I don't criticise the BBC either, but this is just awful.

It's like their argument for cancelling Pulling - 'allowing room for new shows to develop'. Well it all depends on what comes next I suppose...

Will be very interesting to see what they put in that time-slot...

This is shit.

The Beeb's most accessible show in over a decade.

Why can't it be taken elsewhere? ITV are probably desperate to make up for the Men Behaving Badly switch!!

See, what confuses me is 'Two Pints', 'Grownups' and that other one. 3 identical shows, aimed at identical audiences. How can the BBC justify running three shows that are so similar, whilst axing a show of which they have no other like it?

They're really not identical. Similar, yes. And I take the point. But they're not identical.

Quote: Aaron @ March 30 2009, 1:14 PM BST

They're really not identical. Similar, yes. And I take the point. But they're not identical.

Oh, come on.

They're aimed at exactly the same demographic. And the shows' humour is identical.

Similar. Not identical.

Quote: Aaron @ March 30 2009, 1:22 PM BST

Similar. Not identical.

I obviously can't tell the subtle nuances of genitalia jokes then.

They are aimed at the same section of the audience definitely, especially the two you named.

Does seem a bit odd.

Well the BBC can suck it! Costs, my flipping arsehole! That sounds like a well oiled excuse.

Quote: Andrew Collins @ March 30 2009, 11:48 AM BST

I've experienced the tyranny of numbers before with Grass

Grass was a great show. Should have got another series.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 30 2009, 1:20 PM BST

They're aimed at exactly the same demographic. And the shows' humour is identical.

Correct.

Quote: chipolata @ March 30 2009, 1:28 PM BST

Grass was a great show. Should have got another series.

Same with The Smoking Room.
And cancelled just after it won a Bafta or two.

Cretins.

Don't get me started on Grownups etc! I'm already at boiling point with the news that Not Going Out has been axed!

I just don't understand the BBC... ever since My Family they've been trying to create a mainstream sitcom that the audience like... and then, after years in the wilderness (Mad About Alice etc), when they finally do find a couple (Not Going Out and After You've Gone)... they cancel them! Same goes for the other channels (e.g. Pulling and, as zooo mentions, The Smoking Room). Just nuts!

Not looking forward to 2010 now - we're no doubt going to have to sit through lots of horrid pilot series (which, incidently, will cost £1000's more to setup than re-commissioning an existing series would have).

Grrr...

Quote: Seefacts @ March 30 2009, 12:54 PM BST

This is shit.

The Beeb's most accessible show in over a decade.

Why can't it be taken elsewhere? ITV are probably desperate to make up for the Men Behaving Badly switch!

There are other avenues. All we know is that BBC1 don't want a fourth series. We'd love to make a fourth series. These are the facts.