Not Going Out - Series 3 Page 55

That's probably the only television programme of any format which I have been to the recording to and then still laughed any notable amount once it's on TV. In summary: bravo.

I didn't even remember half of the jokes.

Which is doubly strange since I probably saw each one performed about sixteen times. ;)

Ha! Yes, quite. :)

Quote: zooo @ March 21 2009, 4:48 PM GMT

I didn't even remember half of the jokes.

Which is doubly strange since I probably saw each one performed about sixteen times. ;)

Laughing out loud Hee hee. Ahh, the lament of everyone who's ever heard a brilliant joke only to be asked several months later: 'Heard any good jokes lately?' And for the brain to then flash up, 'file 401 not found'.

Ask me five minutes later and it's escaped my memory banks!

This 'NGO' review that I have just found is spot on.

http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/TV-review-Not-Going-Out.4934842.jp

Quote: johnny smith @ March 23 2009, 3:46 PM GMT

Some valid points there. Especially the delivery of lines. Nobody ever *does* anything; they are all static. BUT it's still funny because the lines they trade are so sharp.

I hope they take note of that review, it could help them in future. Do we know if another series is coming? I would imagine so if episode 8 is being held back for Christmas, as it would be a bit odd for the last ever episode to dangle off the end of the last series by 9 months.

Edited by Aaron.

Yawn. A whining foreign bint, spoiled by the realism of recent series and demanding more of the same pin-point attention to detail. So very tiresome. And numerous paragraphs making just two points, one of which is easily explained by actually watching f**king programme in question.

:)

Quote: johnny smith @ March 23 2009, 3:46 PM GMT

Spot on, my arse and parsley! (As they are won't to say over the border.) It's anything but. Here's the opening line of the drivel that's supposed to be 'spot on': "FOR a sitcom now in its third series, and which has won prestigious, international awards, Not Going Out is peculiarly bad."

Inadequate is hardly adequate to describe the content of that review. You'd be much better off reading the critiques provided by a variety of reviewers - of varying opinions - on the Guardian's online Arts review site.

'Peculiarly bad?' WTF have I been laughing out loud at every week then? As I enjoy NGO, must I be discounted as insane or something? I'm more than prepared to accept that NGO is not to every one's taste, however, it's noticeable that the humourless detractors of NGO come across almost uniformly as peculiarly depressive in their outlook. Or maybe I'm reading too much into their posts.

Quote: Danny K @ March 23 2009, 10:23 PM GMT

it's noticeable that the humourless detractors of NGO come across almost uniformly as peculiarly depressive in their outlook. Or maybe I'm reading too much into their posts.

If you are, then so am I.

The author of that article seems to be suggesting that NGO should consist of more realism. I'm surely not the only one that wants a comedy to be a comedy? If I wanted to watch reality there's plenty of reality shows about, hence why NGO is a refreshing change - a sitcom that the whole family can watch (bar the odd episode!). Winner (episode 2 of series 3) was the best sitcom episode I've seen in years and overall I thought the latest series was excellent.

Am I right in thinking it must now be one of the most watched sitcoms on TV? The Old Guys came nowhere near. And pre-watershed Green Green Grass and Life of Riley ended with similar ratings. So here's to hoping for a fourth series! :)

Quote: Paulper @ March 23 2009, 11:35 PM GMT

The author of that article seems to be suggesting that NGO should consist of more realism. I'm surely not the only one that wants a comedy to be a comedy? If I wanted to watch reality there's plenty of reality shows about, hence why NGO is a refreshing change - a sitcom that the whole family can watch

Agree, agree, and agree! :)

Well like I say elsewhere, I think it's the best thing on at the moment. But it is curious that it seems to be a very 'Marmite' programme. The reviewer in that article has picked on the same points that I did in an earlier post. But I can live with them and she can't I suppose...

To be fair to the reviewer, I can understand the comments based on that episode. I thought it was a bizarre (and very poor) choice to start the series and that nothing about that episode actually worked.

The following ep with Lee pretending to be blind was a complete reversal of fortunes however. One of 3 very good editions of the show in this series I thought.

If you add more realism to NGO, you take away some of the comedy in my opinion. Leave it as it is. Great episode to finish with.