Quote: zooo @ March 9 2009, 2:19 PM GMT

Okay!
Phew, that's a weight off my mind.

Unimpressed Damn sarcastic broads.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 9 2009, 2:06 PM GMT

Thanks.

Oh, you mean that other one....

You must have misread his post.

Black Books series 1 is one of the most absolute pieces of sitcom genius ever written. Quite why it's been dragged into this debate I have no idea but, for what it's worth, I prefer Black Books.

Dan

When is the next episode of Not Going Out on? I only ask, because it's Comic Relief this Friday.

It' had to compare Black Books to Not Going Out, but for what it's worth, I prefer Black Books. I hope Not Going Out lasts longer though.

Quote: Lindyloop @ March 9 2009, 4:26 PM GMT

When is the next episode of Not Going Out on? I only ask, because it's Comic Relief this Friday.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/not_going_out/episodes/3/

Comedy A is better than comedy B!

My brother's bigger than your brother and he'll...(insert appropriate guff to bolster one's own particular stance)

Sheesh! Ye Gods!

Now on a different note:

Curry is better than Vim!

And my brother will...

Ah but no ;) ;)

Quote: johnny smith @ March 9 2009, 1:36 PM GMT

I was watching Black Books on DVD the other day when I realised that, like Not Going Out, it stars two stand up comedians and is co-written by one of them (Dylan Moran). The comparison ends there though. Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey put some of their stand up into the performances and the scripts but the reason why that works so well and is so funny is because Moran and Bailey's stand up is more based on annecdotes and surreal tangents. Mack and Vine's comedy style is the polar opposite of that (quick fire puns, one liners and corny old jokes) and is why it doesn't suit the sitcom format at all.

BB is funny because of Graham Linehan.

He left, it went down hill. Series 3, barring the Simon Pegg episode, was virtually unwatchable.

The series are totally different.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 9 2009, 6:19 PM GMT

Series 3, barring the Simon Pegg episode, was virtually unwatchable.

Pah! Pah!!!!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 9 2009, 7:21 PM GMT

Pah! Pah!!!!

Pah! PAH!! PAHH!!!!

Okay, I'd probably need to watch it again, as it's the only one I don't have on DVD but I remember hating it. One episode seemed to be totally devoid of laughs.

No Linehan, and later Arthur Mathews = not as good.

Pah?

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 8 2009, 6:11 PM GMT

The 'Sémillon' joke was first heard on I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - Samantha was disappointed that one of her gentlemen friends, who had an extensive wine cellar, invited her round one evening but only had a Sémillon. Whistling nnocently

Edited by Aaron.

I could see the build up coming for ages there.

Quote: zooo @ March 9 2009, 2:10 PM GMT

I love them both. I don't really see a need to compare them.

I agree. They are different. I only caught on to Black Books after it had finished.

Quote: earman2009 @ March 9 2009, 4:32 PM GMT

It' had to compare Black Books to Not Going Out, but for what it's worth, I prefer Black Books. I hope Not Going Out lasts longer though.

It already has lasted longer, hasn't it? Certainly by episode count.

Quote: Marc P @ March 9 2009, 2:04 PM GMT

I wouldn't use the word superior as such, because there has been a lot of nobby nonsense spouted on this thread

If it bothers you that much, don't post. :P On the subject of Black Books vs. NGO, Black Books is touched by greatness, NGO isn't. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad show, and tries hard, but hardly one of the greats.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 10 2009, 9:48 AM GMT

It already has lasted longer, hasn't it? Certainly by episode count.

Yes. 22 to 18.

Quote: chipolata @ March 10 2009, 10:06 AM GMT

If it bothers you that much, don't post. :P On the subject of Black Books vs. NGO, Black Books is touched by greatness, NGO isn't. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad show, and tries hard, but hardly one of the greats.

If tripe like Spaced is labelled as a great, then Not Going Out is easily deserving of such a title.