Not Going Out - Series 3 Page 49

Quote: Marc P @ March 9 2009, 11:33 AM GMT

and if you want a bit of good dialogue can I reccommend the novel Hard Evidence!

John Lescroart is very good at dialogue. :)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0451206460/comedyguide-20/

Quote: chipolata @ March 9 2009, 11:38 AM GMT

John Lescroart is very good at dialogue. :)

It's been translated into English here.

See Amazon product listing

Back on thread I really loved the giant dartboard gag. Can't beat a bit of visual comedy!

Quote: Marc P @ March 9 2009, 11:42 AM GMT

See Amazon product listing

Pithy. :D (What are we meant to be discussing again?)

Not going out but staying in with a good book I think! :)

I don't know whether this has already been mentioned, but, the funniest moment from the noisy neighbour episode, the Friday before last, was easily:

Tim: Anabolic?

Lee: No, just a penis.

I was watching Black Books on DVD the other day when I realised that, like Not Going Out, it stars two stand up comedians and is co-written by one of them (Dylan Moran). The comparison ends there though. Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey put some of their stand up into the performances and the scripts but the reason why that works so well and is so funny is because Moran and Bailey's stand up is more based on annecdotes and surreal tangents. Mack and Vine's comedy style is the polar opposite of that (quick fire puns, one liners and corny old jokes) and is why it doesn't suit the sitcom format at all.

Quote: johnny smith @ March 9 2009, 1:36 PM GMT

the reason why that works so well and is so funny is because Moran and Bailey's stand up is more based on annecdotes and surreal tangents. Mack and Vine's comedy style is the polar opposite of that (quick fire puns, one liners and corny old jokes) and is why it doesn't suit the sitcom format at all.

*cough* In your opinion *cough*

Although I can't argue with the brilliance of Black Books!

Not Going Out is superior to Black Books.

I wouldn't use the word superior as such, because there has been a lot of nobby nonsense spouted on this thread, but I have to honestly admit I prefer NGO to BB.

Quote: johnny smith @ March 9 2009, 1:36 PM GMT

the reason why that works so well and is so funny is because Moran and Bailey's stand up is more based on annecdotes and surreal tangents.

Thanks.

Oh, you mean that other one....

Quote: Aaron @ March 9 2009, 2:03 PM GMT

Not Going Out is superior to Black Books.

NGO is good, Black Books though is great. IMO.

I love them both. I don't really see a need to compare them.

Quote: zooo @ March 9 2009, 2:10 PM GMT

I love them both. I don't really see a need to compare them.

Don't then. :)

Quote: Marc P @ March 9 2009, 2:04 PM GMT

I wouldn't use the word superior as such, because there has been a lot of nobby nonsense spouted on this thread, but I have to honestly admit I prefer NGO to BB.

Both are great, but NGO makes me laugh more, and feel far more satisfied afterwards. Like awesome sex.

Okay!
Phew, that's a weight off my mind.