Teenage Kicks Page 6

I missed the first episode but tuned in last night and thought it was pretty poor. I wanted to like it as I've liked other things that Ade Edmondson has done but his is the only amusing character in the show. The children are awful, the friend is a cardboard cutout as has already been mentioned and the Chinese character belongs in a bygone era.

It seems to get better in the second half and I still enjoy the Chinese guy. I thought the montage was handlded very well actually. The brick joke got tired after a while. I know there was only 3 but, you know.

He didn't utilise the golden rule of three well enough either; same, same, twist. Having the last one coloured red as a final demand didn't really work.

i didn't think it was that bad, easy going friday night TV.

I thought it was OK. The Farfahquar joke was the one that was done to death, everything else was alright. the chinese guy was a real highlight and the kids loosened up a bit. I can see why some wouldn't like it, not 'clever' enough.

Wow, this is bad. Not shockingly bad, but pretty damn bad. But I expect this kind of badness from ITV, so it’s understandable.

Whoever was in charge of the casting, is the biggest buffoon as far as this programme is concerned.

Vernon’s drinking buddy/friend - Who on earth thought that this guy would be well suited to a sitcom? He should be playing a bouncer or a bodyguard in a Guy Ritchie film, just grunting and beating people up. Or a washed out boxer. I mean he’s got the flat nose ‘n’ all.

The Chinese character - Dear oh dear oh dear....

The actor playing the Chinese character - Dear oh dear oh dear....

The son - An older, taller version of the annoying son from the equally terrible ‘After You’ve Gone’.

*shakes head*

There was a strange bit near the start, where Ade Edmonson was talking in a voice just like Rik Mayall's character in Bottom.

Quote: Eat_My_Shirts @ April 5 2008, 9:10 PM BST

Wow, this is bad. Not shockingly bad, but pretty damn bad. But I expect this kind of badness from ITV, so it’s understandable.

Whoever was in charge of the casting, is the biggest buffoon as far as this programme is concerned.

Vernon’s drinking buddy/friend - Who on earth thought that this guy would be well suited to a sitcom? He should be playing a bouncer or a bodyguard in a Guy Ritchie film, just grunting and beating people up. Or a washed out boxer. I mean he’s got the flat nose ‘n’ all.

The Chinese character - Dear oh dear oh dear....

The actor playing the Chinese character - Dear oh dear oh dear....

The son - An older, taller version of the annoying son from the equally terrible ‘After You’ve Gone’.

*shakes head*

Unless I'm blind you've missed the girl? (his daughter)

She's the worst IMO, pretty much based of the daughter in "my family" and her approach seems to be similar too. (acting wise) I guess I know she wasn't listed though.

Forgot to mention the 'Nigella' impression too. Hasn't this been done by everyone who has impersonated her for the last five years?

Quote: Aaron @ April 5 2008, 11:11 AM BST

He didn't utilise the golden rule of three well enough either; same, same, twist. Having the last one (brick)coloured red as a final demand didn't really work.

I thought the red brick joke was actually quite funny and infact, one of the better jokes in the whole episode.

Def.

Quote: David H @ April 5 2008, 9:58 AM BST

Well, it went from passable to running on empty and looking every inch the ITV sitcom.

More Bottom humour creeping in with the brick through the window three times. They did the yellow clothes 'gag' to death. Did she really ask if he put his cycling gear in the wash? (Someone should tell Adrian Edmondson that audiences are sophisticated. We can see what's happened without it being explained)

The Chinese guy went from being all right to OTT. And he had such long lines. I was bored halfway through him saying them. Vernon living in the cupboard is a thin joke stretched out. The bit with him cooking and cleaning was very laboured and his friend Brian is like a cardboard cutout. None of them are characters!

Finishing work and having to get up again was also done to death and done a hundred times better in The Simpsons. And how long did the montage go on for? Rolling eyes

I am in agreement with these thoughts.

The problem is I really want to like this and I have tuned in for both episodes so far and no doubt will again. But I'm struggling to get to grips with it. Does it want to be Bottom, My Family or Mind Your Language? Perhpas a mix of all three or none of the above? I'm not sure.

Def.

The curse of ITV ''comedy''.

It isn't too bad - for an ITV comedy. You just expect more from Adrian.

Cos nothing else was on tonight I gave this an unexpected second chance.

Sadly, lame-and-a-half so far, and I won't get to part two.

Good luck to all who continue with it.

Same here, did they bring in a ward of mental patients for the studio audience?

I don't know what's worse. That the sitcom's so awful or the fact that it's bound to be recomissioned just because Edmonson's a recognisable face. Darn ITV.