Teenage Kicks Page 10

Quote: Aaron @ April 12 2008, 10:07 PM BST

I think that's it really. It's just simple humour that isn't ashamed to be simple humour. It's not trying to be clever and failing. It's just being funny, being what it is, with no intention of being anything else.

With the snobbery some members here show, I'm surprised Bottom isn't roundly hated - but it's long established that most members have so many double standards that their posts have no consequence on the real world.

Anyway. :)

Yeah, it is what it is. It's not trying to be clever, and then failing to do so. It's just being funny - and if that's not your particular sense of humour, then that's not your sense of humour. That is why we like it, but can't quite work out why!

Well... I wasn't going to post any more, except Aaron has goaded me into it.

It isn't about snobbery. In fact there seems to be some sort of inverted snobbery going on in your posts that suggests mainstream (for want of a better description) is always best. Some people (yourself included, in fact) are capable of liking what they like and not liking what they don't like. Simple as that. It's a shame you have to assume some sort of snobbery exists in those who don't always like the offerings that mainstream TV puts up. And given that there's fair agreement that most new TV comedy isn't that good it's hardly a surprise that most new TV comedy gets a less than positive response on here, is it?

I agree with your final point: if you find it funny and enjoy it I am very happy with that. Please do me the same service and respect my opinion if I don't enjoy it.

I'm not disrespecting anyone's opinion. If you like a show, you like it. If you don't, then you don't. You happen to not like Teenage Kicks, which is fine. :)

Regarding 'inverted snobbery', I generally prefer what is considered 'mainstream', yes. I make no secret of that. But I don't insist - or certainly don't mean to appear to insist - that it is always best, particularly given the very individual nature of comedy.

As for snobbery, I'm sticking by that in this case. If it had been anyone but those two in Bottom, I have little doubt that it would be hated.

In summary: each to their own. :)

Each to their own, indeed.

I don't like Bottom either, btw.

I think Bottom was a bit over the top (if that's possible) following on from the cartoon originality of the Young Ones.

And following that you expect Teenage Kicks to just be a bit more original.

The main thing about the criticism is that most of that comes from those of us who aspire to be writers. Consequently we feel that things should be better than we could produce.

I just want things to be better than what's generally being produced. It doesn't matter if you're a writer, would-be writer or whatever. We're all viewers when we watch stuff, and we want things to be good, don't we?

I think maybe we're a bit ultra-crtitical.

Quote: David Chapman @ April 12 2008, 11:15 PM BST

But it's a sitcom forum! What do people expect?

I still quite like it, though I thought this third episode was the poorest so far.

Yes, it was a radio show first but the radio show was much better in my opinion. Obviously it missed out a lot of the slapstick and the actors were much, *much* better but they couldn't use the same actor/actress as the radio as they were in their 30s, which obviously wouldn't have worked for their 'on-screen' age.

The Chinese bloke was in the radio version and, to me personally, is the funniest element of the show. The guy's a genius (especially in the radio version!)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ April 13 2008, 12:08 AM BST

The Chinese bloke was in the radio version and, to me personally, is the funniest element of the show. The guy's a genius (especially in the radio version!)

Dan

Strange they're not accused of racism.

In the days of Right-on Elton he'd have criticised it mercilessly.

The Chinese guy was actually really good in the radio show, as I did go to see an episode be recorded live. The weirdest thing was, however, that he actually puts on that accent. When we saw the radio recording, he was the one who did the 'traditionally British' "Teenage kicks starred Ade Edmon..." blah at the end of the show.

I don't think it's racist, but I don't think it's funny either.

Quote: David Chapman @ April 12 2008, 10:57 PM BST

The main thing about the criticism is that most of that comes from those of us who aspire to be writers. Consequently we feel that things should be better than we think that we could produce.

Quote: David Chapman @ April 12 2008, 11:15 PM BST

I agree.

Quote: David Chapman @ April 12 2008, 10:57 PM BST

The main thing about the criticism is that most of that comes from those of us who aspire to be writers. Consequently we feel that things should be better than we could produce.

Actually, that's the one thing I like about it! I watch rubbish like this and think, "Wow - there's hope for me, after all!"

Quote: graham @ April 13 2008, 10:01 AM BST

Actually, that's the one thing I like about it! I watch rubbish like this and think, "Wow - there's hope for me, after all!"

Unfortunately, I watch a lot of stuff that I consider rubbish and sigh, thinking "It's just one big boys' club"...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ April 13 2008, 12:00 PM BST

Unfortunately, I watch a lot of stuff that I consider rubbish and sigh, thinking "It's just one big boys' club"...

Dan

Let's just keep hammering at all the doors then.

in the latest episode that whole 'don't cross this line' scene was lifted wholesale from a Carry On film I think.