Teenage Kicks Page 5

Quote: earman2009 @ March 31, 2008, 1:03 PM

I am pretty sure that Graham Lineman once mentioned on The IT Crowd or maybe the Father Ted commentary that they had to tone done laughs because they went on fortoo long and you couldn't hear the character's next line. They had to do something similar on Friends as well.

I can believe that about IT or Ted - but all they have to do with Friends is turn the volume down on the tape.

Quote: David Chapman @ March 31 2008, 11:32 PM BST

but all they have to do with Friends is turn the volume down on the tape.

It depends on whether the laughter reaches the studio's boommikes or not. If that happens, they can't 'turn down' the audience's laughter because some will still be picked up on the main tape.

Anyway, for Teenage Kicks (swiftly moving back to the topic) surely the producers would /want/ a large amount of laughter, to shout to through the television "HEY. THIS IS FUNNY. LAUGH DAMMIT." At least for the first episode.

Quote: Treenifer @ April 2 2008, 2:39 PM BST

It depends on whether the laughter reaches the studio's boommikes or not. If that happens, they can't 'turn down' the audience's laughter because some will still be picked up on the main tape.

I thought he was making a joke about canned laughter on Friends.

I just watched the repeat of this, and found it very agreeable. Normally I'm very hard to please, but it was a pleasant half hour and I laughed a few times, so I will be tuning in next time. The acting by the daughter wasn't as bad as some have said, she had quite a bit of dialogue and managed well, without resorting to CBBC-style mugging. (Compare her to, say, the asian wpc in the Thin Blue Line.) Not keen on the American-style breaks between scenes, showing the outside of the building with a musical 'sting', but I gather that's standard these days. Was Ade wearing a stunt stomach or has he put on a few pounds?

Leave him alone! It's cuddly... :)

Men are weird though. They get the, er, loveable stomach, but they're still skinny everywhere else.

Quote: Bad dog @ April 2 2008, 10:36 PM BST

Not keen on the American-style breaks between scenes, showing the outside of the building with a musical 'sting', but I gather that's standard these days.

I watched both the initial broadcast and the repeat and don't remember those at all!

I remember one shot of his house?
But maybe that's part of the opening credits.

OK, there were only a few of those breaks. But they are quite conspicuous if you watch a lot of older series (which don't do it), rather than the more modern stuff. Perhaps a modern audience doesn't notice them as much as they are part of the landscape now.

Quote: Bad dog @ April 3 2008, 9:55 AM BST

OK, there were only a few of those breaks. But they are quite conspicuous if you watch a lot of older series (which don't do it), rather than the more modern stuff. Perhaps a modern audience doesn't notice them as much as they are part of the landscape now.

My stupidly extensive DVD collection is 95%+ pre-1990.

It's pretty funny at times, it's actually nice to see ITV doing one for a change.

I don't think they hold a funny cast, as there's only two I actually find funny and one being the reason I actuallyed watched it. Ade's a legend in my family, brought up watching bottoms, the young one's etc

Time can only tell with me though, might grow on me more.
~Joey

Quote: Joey Matthews @ April 4 2008, 3:27 AM BST

brought up watching bottoms.

I really hope that's a typo.

Laughing out loud

Quote: hotzappa11 @ April 4 2008, 10:38 AM BST

I really hope that's a typo.

I should watch what I type! Laughing out loud

You know what I mean't though, honestly.. hehe =)
~Joey

Well, it went from passable to running on empty and looking every inch the ITV sitcom.

More Bottom humour creeping in with the brick through the window three times. They did the yellow clothes 'gag' to death. Did she really ask if he put his cycling gear in the wash? (Someone should tell Adrian Edmondson that audiences are sophisticated. We can see what's happened without it being explained)

The Chinese guy went from being all right to OTT. And he had such long lines. I was bored halfway through him saying them. Vernon living in the cupboard is a thin joke stretched out. The bit with him cooking and cleaning was very laboured and his friend Brian is like a cardboard cutout. None of them are characters!

Finishing work and having to get up again was also done to death and done a hundred times better in The Simpsons. And how long did the montage go on for? Rolling eyes

I'm not going to be quite as scathing as that - and I was laughing a lot in the last five minutes or so - but it was certainly on a different tone to last week's show. VERY Bottom-esque with the brick (thought the cuts for it left a lot to be desired too), and somewhat so with polishing the silver as well. The no sleep gag wasn't handled too badly I thought, and I've certainly got no problem with such a basic concept being used in numerous shows. Montage extremely long, yes, but it got me laughing and generally illustrated the point quite well.

Generally, not great but not awful. Very much like last week in that it didn't start of particularly well, but built up - just took much longer.