Teenage Kicks

Here's a thread for ITV1's new sitcom Teenage Kicks, which starts not this Friday but next Friday.

To give you a flavour of what is to come I've published a fairly comprehensive guide to the comedy in our guide to Teenage Kicks. Check it out!

It always amazes even me how much info we get pre-broadcast.

I thought this rang bells. It was on radio months ago.

It was quite funny but seemed to lack something and was a bit predictable at times. Like Ab Fab with a sex-change.

I'd give this show a watch. I haven't seen Ade in anything for ages!

Quote: feckless @ March 21, 2008, 12:26 AM

I haven't seen Ade in anything for ages!

Surely you prefer it that way?

Honestly, the last time I saw him in anything was Young Ones. Oh, and a few rogue online eps of Bottom. I'm sure he's done stuff since then? Too lazy to imdb him at this hour.

Holby City.

Quote: Aaron @ March 21, 2008, 9:50 AM

Holby City.

I think I'll skip that chapter and wait for TK. It sounds a little heinous.

It's a drama about a Hospital. Not Holy City!

Oh! I know something intresting regarding this.
I think "Nigel Smith" (as credited as writer) is Ben Elton's pen name. I went to the recording of two radio versions of 'Teenage Kicks', and Edmonson told the audience that Elton co-wrote, even though only "Nigel Smith" was credited. Bit of information there for anyone who cares.
Personally, I'm a bit apprehensive. All these Comic Strip (bar Rik Mayall) people doing new sitcoms/sketches seem to be lacking the power that gave them the edge in the era of alternative comedy. (I'm thinking of the new 'French and Saunders' stuff.)

Quote: Treenifer @ March 21, 2008, 6:49 PM

I think "Nigel Smith" (as credited as writer) is Ben Elton's pen name. I went to the recording of two radio versions of 'Teenage Kicks', and Edmonson told the audience that Elton co-wrote, even though only "Nigel Smith" was credited. Bit of information there for anyone who cares.
Personally, I'm a bit apprehensive. All these Comic Strip (bar Rik Mayall) people doing new sitcoms/sketches seem to be lacking the power that gave them the edge in the era of alternative comedy. (I'm thinking of the new 'French and Saunders' stuff.)

I agree with you and I did listen to a couple of them on radio. Some funny lines but nothing as groundbreaking and dynamic as you could expect.

You have to accept that Elton, French, Saunders and Edmonson are now the establishment.

Rik Mayall seems a different kettle of fish though.

Quote: David Chapman @ March 21, 2008, 8:24 PM

You have to accept that Elton, French, Saunders and Edmonson are now the establishment.

See, I don't agree with that. Yes they've done a handful of shows, to varying success, but they're not exactly hugely important, influential personalities. Or are they?

Quote: Aaron @ March 21, 2008, 9:10 PM

See, I don't agree with that. Yes they've done a handful of shows, to varying success, but they're not exactly hugely important, influential personalities. Or are they?

Depends what you define as being 'The Establishment'. Considering you can't /actually/ be alternative, because there's no such genre anymore, every comedian could be counted as such.

Quote: Treenifer @ March 21, 2008, 6:49 PM

Not sure he is. Nigel Smith wrote Vent and an *element* of that was written by Ben Elton (allegedly).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vent_(radio_series)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 21, 2008, 10:05 PM

Not sure he is. Nigel Smith wrote Vent and an *element* of that was written by Ben Elton (allegedly).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vent_(radio_series)

Dan

Good knowledge to know. I just haven't heard of him, and you'd think writing for an old hand like Adrian Edmonson he'd be well known.

No biggie.