Birds of a Feather Page 15

Quote: billwill @ 18th November 2013, 11:59 PM GMT

The recordings are in the ITV studios on the South Bank, near Waterloo Bridge.

There is only one episode left to do of this series (next Sunday) and I expect all the tickets are gone now.

That's interesting. He was in a slightly similar position to you. Had worked with her many years ago, in his case briefly, and wasn't sure whether to say hello. There were a few people with her - including young children he thought - and he decided she might think initially he was a fan and so decided not to intrude.

My earliest memories of Pauline and Linda are on "Pauline's People", since when they have achieved a lot.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ 12th September 2013, 3:46 PM BST

Indeed, South Bank Studios. The old shows were recorded at Elstree - the first three series I think - before the floor started sinking into the tank used for Moby Dick and cameras began to wobble, which is why we moved to Teddington. The new series is written by Marks and Gran, and Lawson and Phelps (who also collaborated on the stage play).

I believe seasons 2 and 3 of Birds of a Feather and possibly 4 were recorded in Stage 9 at Elstree Studios, where Alomo Productions were based between 1990 and 1992. Other Alomo shows were also produced at Elstree during this period including Love Hurts and the second season of Nightingales. Could anyone confirm that any other Alomo series were done here, such as Get Back, Taking the Floor and So You Think You've Got Troubles.

Quote: Mikeie @ 6th February 2014, 12:52 PM GMT

I believe seasons 2 and 3 of Birds of a Feather and possibly 4 were recorded in Stage 9 at Elstree Studios, where Alomo Productions were based between 1990 and 1992. Other Alomo shows were also produced at Elstree during this period including Love Hurts and the second season of Nightingales.

You aren't trying to correct Micheal are you? He was a member of Alomo at the time :)

Could anyone confirm that any other Alomo series were done here, such as Get Back, Taking the Floor and So You Think You've Got Troubles.

The following dates will give you a clue.
Alomo was definitely using Teddington Studios by Sept 1994. I know 'cos I invoiced them there then for fixing Micheal's modem system.

This is the list of productions from IMDB.com

Production Company - filmography

"The House That Jack Built" (2002) ... Production Company
"Believe Nothing" (2002) ... Production Company
"Cry Wolf" (2000) ... Production Company
"Unfinished Business" (1998) ... Production Company
"Grown Ups" (1997) ... Production Company
"Hearts and Minds" (1995) ... Production Company
"Goodnight Sweetheart" (1993) ... Production Company
"Get Back" (1992) ... Production Company
"So You Think You've Got Troubles" (1991) ... Production Company
"Taking the Floor" (1991) ... Production Company
"Nightingales" (1990) ... Production Company
"Birds of a Feather" (1989) ... Production Company
"The New Statesman" (1987) ... Production Company (1992)

Quote: billwill @ 6th February 2014, 2:35 PM GMT

You aren't trying to correct Micheal are you? He was a member of Alomo at the time :)

According to The Stage on-line archive, Alomo arrived at Elstree Studios in March 1990 and used Stage 9 for the recording of a variety of series and left for Teddington on December 10th 1992, after failing to come to an agreement with the then owners Brent Walker regarding buying the studios.

According to those dates the first season of both Nightingales and Birds of a Feather were not produced there. It does say somewhere here on the forum that season one Birds of a Feather was recorded at BBC Television Centre. So I would say that my list of shows done at Elstree is correct, with the exception of seasons three and four of The New Statesman (thanks for pointing that out), which I had not considered at all.

I have production dates to the month for seasons one and two of Love Hurts and season two of Nightingales. I'd be most grateful if anyone could provide any additional recording/production dates for Alomo shows done at Elstree.

When I visited Elstree Studios in June 1994, the place was extremely run down and dilapidated, though when we went to the first floor of the deserted ancillaries building alongside Stages 7, 8 and 9 there were various Birds of a Feather photographs stuck on the walls. This indicated that the rooms had been used as a production office/wardrobe and make-up area for the series. Other rooms had photographs of John Thaw and Kevin Whately, because the studio had also served as the base for seasons four and five of Inspector Morse.

Memory is a fallible thing, but we definitely did the first series of Get Back at Elstree, and the second series at Teddington. So You Think You've Got Troubles was shot single camera in Belfast, and later played to an audience for the laugh track. Love Hurts was a drama and I don't think any of it was made at Elstree although the production office was there. Taking the Floor would have been done at Elstree.

"The Stage" archives are not necessarily any more correct than Aaron's summaries here on BCG. Where did they get their data?

Alomo as a Limited Company was dissolved some years ago now after its holding company SelecTV was bought by Pearson and subsequently transferred (bought?) by Fremantle. The assets were mostly just the back-catalogue of TV programmes. The SelecTV companies were administered from the Fremantle Stephen Street office for a while, but I don't think Alomo itself actually produced any more programmes after the transfer and as I said it was eventually dissolved.

So the detailed records of exactly where Alomo did each of their productions are probably in a dusty attic or cellar in the Stephen Street office.

If you went to the end of each recording (most are now on DVD) the credits should show where the recording took place.

____

I remember attending a recording of Love Hurts, at IT advisor/support, which was shot single camera style. It was somewhere north west of London, possibly in Elstree Studio, but it might have been on location. Certainly nowhere near Teddington for that episode.

My invoice for the computers for the Alomo Production office at Elstree was dated !3 March 1990 so the March date you show there is correct.

The deserted office you describe sounds like the production office, the other rooms including the actors practice rooms were (as far as I recall) on the same floor towards the other end of the building.

The use of computers by a TV production team was a very new idea at that time, Alomo were one of the first to do so.

~~~~~
By the way Alomo was always, from its beginning part of SelecTV, Aaron & Steve haven't corrected that bit in the summary here on BCG yet.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ 7th February 2014, 3:35 PM GMT

Memory is a fallible thing, but we definitely did the first series of Get Back at Elstree, and the second series at Teddington. So You Think You've Got Troubles was shot single camera in Belfast, and later played to an audience for the laugh track. Love Hurts was a drama and I don't think any of it was made at Elstree although the production office was there. Taking the Floor would have been done at Elstree.

Michael

Thanks for taking the time to post in response to my enquiry and coming up with more information.

Quote: billwill @ 7th February 2014, 4:23 PM GMT

"The Stage" archives are not necessarily any more correct than Aaron's summaries here on BCG. Where did they get their data?

Alomo as a Limited Company was dissolved some years ago now after its holding company SelecTV was bought by Pearson and subsequently transferred (bought?) by Fremantle. The assets were mostly just the back-catalogue of TV programmes. The SelecTV companies were administered from the Fremantle Stephen Street office for a while, but I don't think Alomo itself actually produced any more programmes after the transfer and as I said it was eventually dissolved.

So the detailed records of exactly where Alomo did each of their productions are probably in a dusty attic or cellar in the Stephen Street office.

If you went to the end of each recording (most are now on DVD) the credits should show where the recording took place.

____

I remember attending a recording of Love Hurts, at IT advisor/support, which was shot single camera style. It was somewhere north west of London, possibly in Elstree Studio, but it might have been on location. Certainly nowhere near Teddington for that episode.

billwill

Thanks for showing interest in my posting.

The Stage archive is made up from pages of the publication scanned into their database, thus you can look back at issues from 1880 to 2007. There is a browse facility or you can search on particular words, to locate articles or features that contain the word you're looking for.

As you point out SelecTV were the parent company of Alomo, although they also owned other production companies such as Witzend and Clement-La Frenais and I think there's a good chance that both these also had material recorded at Elstree during the early nineties. Although I don't think that approaching Freemantle with a request for production information on TV series made over 20 years ago would meet with much success or interest, as the company obviously have more important things to do.

Crediting the studio where something was made on the closing credits was a practise of Lew Grade's ITC and this came to a conclusion with Return of the Saint in the late seventies. I don't know any series since than that has continued this.

Having watched an episode of Love Hurts this afternoon, I'd say that it was shot on 16mm film on location, in the style pioneered by Euston Films for Thames Television, with Special Brach and The Sweeney in the mid-seventies. They used the interiors of actual buildings as opposed to doing interiors inside a stage or studio and made this sort of TV series less expensive to produce. I had come across a couple of interviews with Adam Faith where he was quoted as saying that he had been at Elstree Studios working on Love Hurts and took this to mean that filming had actually taken place there. However, as Michael pointed out only the production office was based there and Faith would have been involved in rehearsals only.

Quote: Mikeie @ 7th February 2014, 5:50 PM GMT

Crediting the studio where something was made on the closing credits was a practise of Lew Grade's ITC and this came to a conclusion with Return of the Saint in the late seventies. I don't know any series since than that has continued this.

Mock The Week and QI, off the top of my head. It's certainly not done regularly or consistently, but it certainly can be seen without looking too far at all.

Quote: billwill @ 7th February 2014, 4:52 PM GMT

My invoice for the computers for the Alomo Production office at Elstree was dated !3 March 1990 so the March date you show there is correct.

The deserted office you describe sounds like the production office, the other rooms including the actors practice rooms were (as far as I recall) on the same floor towards the other end of the building.

The use of computers by a TV production team was a very new idea at that time, Alomo were one of the first to do so.

~~~~~
By the way Alomo was always, from its beginning part of SelecTV, Aaron & Steve haven't corrected that bit in the summary here on BCG yet.

Billwill

Thanks for the additional information.

The studio complex was extremely run down and the entrances to the underground car park were blocked by large sheets of plywood. Stages 7, 8 and 9 were barren (minus lighting) and Brent Walker had speedily asset stripped the site. For instance in one of the viewing theatres in the ancillaries block the large camera had been crow-barred out, you could see gouges on the floor where brute force had been used rather than simply unbolting it. Everyone I was with, were of the opinion that Elstree Studios only had a matter on months before it would be totally demolished.

Thankfully Hertsmere Council were determined to save the property and having won their court case with Brent Walker they refused to return their £10 million bond, presumably using this to refurbish the studios. The place looked completely different when I paid a second visit there four years later in June 1998. This time the place was a hive of activity and back to being a working film and TV studio.

Another SelecTV company was called Elstree TV Ltd.

The common factor was significant part ownership by Allan McKeown
(The AL in Alomo, LoMo is the joint nickname for Laurence Marks and Maurice Gran)

I'm pretty sure that the production offices of Witzend and C-l-F were always at the SelecTV office in Mayfair.
Lovejoy & Pie in the Sky were both done on locations, I think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:(

While checking the spelling of his name I found that Allan McKeown died of cancer last Christmas Eve. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2529760/Tracey-Ullmans-comedy-producer-husband-Allan-McKeown-dies-Los-Angeles-battle-cancer.html

Quote: Aaron @ 7th February 2014, 6:04 PM GMT

Mock The Week and QI, off the top of my head. It's certainly not done regularly or consistently, but it certainly can be seen without looking too far at all.

Aaron

I stand corrected, you're absolutely correct on the two shows you mention as they both credit The London Studios.

This shows how much attention I pay to closing credits, unless I'm watching a seventies film series.

Quote: billwill @ 7th February 2014, 6:14 PM GMT

Another SelecTV company was called Elstree TV Ltd.

The common factor was significant part ownership by Allan McKeown
(The AL in Alomo, LoMo is the joint nickname for Laurence Marks and Maurice Gran)

I'm pretty sure that the production offices of Witzend and C-l-F were always at the SelecTV office in Mayfair.
Lovejoy & Pie in the Sky were both done on locations, I think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:(

While checking the spelling of his name I found that Allan McKeown died of cancer last Christmas Eve. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2529760/Tracey-Ullmans-comedy-producer-husband-Allan-McKeown-dies-Los-Angeles-battle-cancer.html

billwill

Thanks for the addition info and I agree that Pie in the Sky and the excellent Lovejoy were shot entirely on location.

Quote: Mikeie @ 7th February 2014, 6:23 PM GMT

Aaron

I stand corrected, you're absolutely correct on the two shows you mention as they both credit The London Studios.

This shows how much attention I pay to closing credits, unless I'm watching a seventies film series.

Now I think more about it, I think most (comedy) titles filmed at The London Studios, Maidstone, and Pinewood, include a studio credit.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ 7th February 2014, 3:35 PM GMT

Michael

Would you know if The New Statesman was recorded at Elstree?

Seasons three and four fit into the timeframe.

Thanks in advance.