Ashes To Ashes Page 14

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 16 2010, 4:01 PM BST

I missed the whole of the second series of Ashes, so I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be understanding, or at least have an inkling of, what was going on. Reading this thread, I'm guessing not.

It does seem a rather pointless series in some ways. It may play a part though in the final episode, as there was talk in this series about a policeman's body being dug up. This obviously may be connected to Sam Tyler and is most probable, yet their is also a possibility that the body was that of PC Martin Summers, a young constable. His older version turned up in the last series and confronted Alex and then shot the younger version of himself. Alex saw this and buried the body.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 16 2010, 6:32 PM BST

It would be awesome if Ashes had the balls to do a Scooby Doo series finale.

Or Lost.

Jack rips off the Man in Black's face to reveal a janitor who appeared in one short scene mid-way through season one. The End. Now f**k off.

I'd love that.

Yes a Scooby Doo Ashes to Ashes would work. Alex is already something of a Scrappy Doo.

Quote: sootyj @ May 16 2010, 5:56 PM BST

I mean it's fine if you're an idiot or watching Scooby Doo or both.

Well cheers for calling me and anyone else who enjoys the show an idiot! Rolling eyes

It's trying to hint that there might be a darker side to Gene, but from the off the show has shown that Hunt was someone who breaks the rules and has/still does questionable things.

I don't think we're supposed to believe Keats, he's there to shake things up, to try and turn people against Hunt.

To me, Ashes has become every bit the great show mars was from the off. It took them a while to get there, but this series they have.

I didn't call you an idiot.

But Ashes isn't a patch. Alex is awful dreary and shrill.

And the whole energy of Mars which was it was essentially set in the 70s doesn't work.

Quote: sootyj @ May 16 2010, 7:10 PM BST

I didn't call you an idiot.

You intimated that people who are enjoying the show are idiots, because only an idiot could buy the way they've developed the Hunt storyline.

Alex is awful dreary and shrill.

Disagree. She was a bit shrill in the first series,but that applies in no way during the last two series.

I continue to believe this is a classic 2 minutes 40 seconds of television.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvj2B6NGKCA

And the whole energy of Mars which was it was essentially set in the 70s doesn't work.

Ashes works.

But Ashes isn't a patch.

This third series has been absolutely superb television.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 16 2010, 7:12 PM BST

Ashes works.

Yes as a creaky remake of Dempsey and Makepeace. The whole subtext of Mars was it wasn't the Sweeney it was more realistic. Allowing a chance to do really interesting state of the nation TV.

Do you really not get the diference between the easy menace and wit of Mars and the clunky sitcom of ashes?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 16 2010, 7:13 PM BST

This third series has been absolutely superb television.

That was probably far easier to type than say.

Quote: sootyj @ May 16 2010, 7:16 PM BST

Yes as a creaky remake of Dempsey and Makepeace. The whole subtext of Mars was it wasn't the Sweeney it was more realistic. Allowing a chance to do really interesting state of the nation TV.

Do you really not get the diference between the easy menace and wit of Mars and the clunky sitcom of ashes?

Sooty, am I really not allowed to enjoy what I think is a great piece of television?

Ashes is a continuation, but also a show in its own right, that has been given its own distinct flavour and personality. I'm not sitting watching every episode in relation to mars, I'm taking it on its own terms, and on its own terms, it's absolutely terrific.

And Ashes is not a sitcom in any way, it has a lot of humour (as did Mars) but that does not make it a sitcom.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 16 2010, 7:08 PM BST

I don't think we're supposed to believe Keats, he's there to shake things up, to try and turn people against Hunt.

I'm kinda glad they managed to resist giving him a cape, monocole and a small brass band to follow behind him playing "Vader's theme."

He's a blatant villain dropped into to reheat a rather tepid story.

That said great actor and character.

Quote: sootyj @ May 16 2010, 7:16 PM BST

That was probably far easier to type than say.

*sigh . . .*

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 16 2010, 7:18 PM BST

Sooty, am I really not allowed to enjoy what I think is a great piece of television?

Of course you are.

It's just an example of why democracy doesn't work.

THat and hung parliaments.

Quote: sootyj @ May 16 2010, 7:19 PM BST

He's a blatant villain dropped into to reheat a rather tepid story.

Yeah, blatant villains are the worst. (?!) He's a great, menacing character! Ah well, you don't like it, fine, but I'm still allowed to!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 16 2010, 7:20 PM BST

Ah well, you don't like it, fine, but I'm still allowed to!

Fortuntely with DC as PM not for much longer.

Final episode tonight!