Ashes To Ashes Page 13

All shows have dips and longeurs. You judge them when they're at the best.

So in Life On Mars; there was the wife swopping episode, the one where Sam met his mentor, so many standout episodes.

And in Ashes to Ashes? None really.

Quote: sootyj @ May 16 2010, 10:02 AM BST

All shows have dips and longeurs. You judge them when they're at the best.

To an extent I agree; you judge the best a show can offer by its best, but the more best there is, the besterer.

Quote: sootyj @ May 16 2010, 10:02 AM BST

And in Ashes to Ashes? None really.

I thought the very first couple of shows were excellent.

The first one had a sort of a cheezy charm. And as a one off it might have been better remembered.

Quote: sootyj @ May 16 2010, 10:10 AM BST

The first one had a sort of a cheezy charm. And as a one off it might have been better remembered.

So why not judge it by its best?
:)

Because it was it's best but it wasn't really all that good.

Quote: sootyj @ May 15 2010, 2:57 PM BST

And the other 3's unmagical journey is just laughable. Ooh look we can all see stars!

Don't see what is so awful about it.

Quote: sootyj @ May 15 2010, 8:50 PM BST

Gene suddenly turning evil is remarkably similar to when Nono the robot turned evil for no aparent reason in Power Rangers.

Yeeeees. Only Gene hasn't actually turned evil, has he?

I've never actually watched the American 'Life on Mars'.

As for the British 'Life on Mars' it was brilliant, especially the second series and one of my all time favourite Drama series. 'Ashes to Ashes' despite being very good, was a little confused I felt in the first two series. Yet this third series has been great and is of 'Life on Mars' status.

I missed the whole of the second series of Ashes, so I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be understanding, or at least have an inkling of, what was going on. Reading this thread, I'm guessing not.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 16 2010, 4:01 PM BST

I missed the whole of the second series of Ashes, so I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be understanding, or at least have an inkling of, what was going on. Reading this thread, I'm guessing not.

Well, it's supposed to be a mystery, that's the point! You're not supposed to have worked it out!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 16 2010, 4:24 PM BST

Well, it's supposed to be a mystery, that's the point! You're not supposed to have worked it out!

Other scifi shows at least give clues. Lost, FlashForward, Doctor Who... they give you something to work with.

Ashes just seems a bit random.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 16 2010, 4:52 PM BST

Other scifi shows at least give clues. Lost, FlashForward, Doctor Who... they give you something to work with.

To be fair, I don't think the writers ever had much of a plan. Even in Life on Mars, there are still things that don't make sense (Sam did change the future, yet he was in a coma???). I suspect Ashes will have an even more sweese cheese denouncement...

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 16 2010, 4:52 PM BST

Ashes is nothing but clues, you just don't know what they all mean yet. Which, for me, is good. I want it to be revealed, not just sit back and go 'ah, I was right!' Mystery!

The American version ended with Sam in a spaceship, sleeping en route to Mars. All these stars in the last few episodes has got me worried...

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 16 2010, 12:28 PM BST

Yeeeees. Only Gene hasn't actually turned evil, has he?

Exactly.

We're supposed to atleast slightly suspect he may be homicidal rather than mischevious. Which means undermining years of character development with no real clues.

I mean it's fine if you're an idiot or watching Scooby Doo or both.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 16 2010, 5:10 PM BST

Ashes is nothing but clues, you just don't know what they all mean yet. Which, for me, is good. I want it to be revealed, not just sit back and go 'ah, I was right!' Mystery!

Unless of course it's being mysterious for it's own sake. Like McDanlds calling a mixture of stale mayo, ketchup and spunk, "mystery sauce"

Quote: sootyj @ May 16 2010, 5:56 PM BST

Scooby Doo

It would be awesome if Ashes had the balls to do a Scooby Doo series finale.

Or Lost.

Jack rips off the Man in Black's face to reveal a janitor who appeared in one short scene mid-way through season one. The End. Now f**k off.

I'd love that.