Ashes To Ashes

Not strictly speaking a comedy, but Life On Mars was very funny none the less. I've just noticed a few TV ads for the follow up series, Ashes To Ashes, which is set in the 80s with, this time, a female officer going back in time. From what I've read, she actually knows all about Gene Hunt and his gang, having read Sam Tyler's reports.

It's from the same team and writers, so I've got a lot of hope for this, though no doubt there will be a lot of sceptical viewers ready to bleat 'not as good as Mars'. I hope it is, and I'm glad they've decided to try and carry on, as I loved Mars and two series' just wasn't enough, though they couldn't really have gone on with Sam's story any longer.

I think there's a lot of mileage in ultra seventies copper Hunt struggling through the eighties, now himself a bit of a relic. Any thoughts on this new series?

I'm still working my way through Life On Mars and managed seven episodes this weekend, so I only have three to go. I'll let you know when I get there but it's really good and I've proper got into it.

Great to know the Gene Genie will be back, but quite how Keeley Hawes will live up to John Simm's excellent Tyler will remain to be seen.

That said, Phillip Glenister does get all the best lines. Bar the '... stay out of Camberwick Green', which did make me laugh lots and lots.

Dan

The last few episodes are great, so you're in for a treat swerytd! I know a few people didn't really like the ending, but with a show like this, where it's all about the mystery about what's going on, you're never going to please everyone. Having said that, I think the end's perfect; sad, uplifting and ambiguous all at the same time.

Cool. I will go home tonight and banish the girlfriend to the spare room to watch all the rubbish soaps :)

Dan

Totally agree. Was the best thing on TV for absolute ages. As you say, lets hope Ashes lives up to it. It will be a hard act to follow.

Life on Mars was immense in my opinion. Gene Hunt is one of the greatest charactors ever. If you're a fan of Gene, then buy
this book: [p=http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/3409658/The-Rules-Of-Modern-Policing-1973-Edition/Product.html]

Anyway, despite the fact I can't see Ashes to Ahses being a patch on Life on Mars, I'm still really excited about it. Does anybody know what date it starts?

Must be soon as the adverts have started.

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 21, 2008, 3:39 PM

Anyway, despite the fact I can't see Ashes to Ahses being a patch on Life on Mars, I'm still really excited about it. Does anybody know what date it starts?

BBC One "coming soon" adverts are always two weeks before the show begins. Exact day and time I can't be bothered to look up, but probably in LoM's timeslot. Tuesday 9pm, I think it was?

Definitely worth looking at. Have you seen the site started by someone (I'll look in a minute) on here?

It starts on the 7th February, that's what imdb says.

So is anyone planning on watching it soon?

I hope it's not a great anti-climax.

Like your sex life?

Quote: Aaron @ February 7, 2008, 8:45 PM

Like your sex life?

An anti-climax is where you're EXPECTING it to be good.

LOL Laughing out loud

Well it carried on well in my opinion. Great music Roxy, Stranglers, Tubeway Army. etc.

I loved the bit when they came roaring up in the speedboat all guns blazing.

A bit gratuitous though having her dressed like a tart. Disgusting!

And didn't Montserrst look different.