Ashes To Ashes Page 19

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/may/21/ashes-to-ashes-final-episode

The writer of the last episode explains it. :)

Spoilers, obviously.

Most intriguing.

Thanks Zooo. I'm really glad I read that. I'm not going to get the chance to see this series for a while so I'm happy to know the end (for once).

I did enjoy the finale, it was a lot better than I was expecting.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 22 2010, 12:16 AM BST

Anybody care to explain the whole 9.06 thing to me? That was the only bit that really didn't make any sense to me.

They say that at the moment of death, your life flashes before your eyes, so I took the 9.06 thing to mean that all the events in the series were taking place at the moment of her death.

Quote: zooo @ May 22 2010, 2:09 AM BST

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/may/21/ashes-to-ashes-final-episode

"Graham says, explaining there were only ever three endings: that she woke up, she woke up and chose to go back again, or she died. "

I don't see why there should only be these three endings.

Quote: Aaron @ May 22 2010, 2:23 AM BST

Most intriguing.

I didn't enjoy watching it at all, despite the fact that it explains things. I sat there bored by the muddled events, and I found Keats' demon act went on for so long that it became pantomime. Very disappointing.

Quote: Nogget @ May 22 2010, 6:13 AM BST

I didn't enjoy watching it at all, despite the fact that it explains things. I sat there bored by the muddled events, and I found Keats' demon act went on for so long that it became pantomime. Very disappointing.

I didn't notice anything 'muddled'; and Keats was superb; the demonic bit only came out properly right at the end.

Quote: Aaron @ May 22 2010, 1:00 AM BST

I only saw the first half of the last series, so can someone tell me how she got into hospital in order to be in the coma/die? It seemed implied that unlike Sam, who IIRC didn't ever 'wake up' between the LoM series, that she had escaped from ... being held hostage on a boat or something? Wasn't that it? *scratches head*

She was shot in the head and taken to hospital in the first episode of series one.

Quote: Nogget @ May 22 2010, 6:13 AM BST

I don't see why there should only be these three endings.

Well firstly, because he created the series, so whatever he says are the possible endings are the possible endings; and also, if you look through all the episodes, it's all there for you to work out, what other ending could there be that made sense to what we've been shown?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 22 2010, 10:43 AM BST

Well firstly, because he created the series, so whatever he says are the possible endings are the possible endings

He did also create Bonekickers, so let's not be too easy on him.

That Guardian article made it a whole lot less enjoyable for me, now I realise they were going for such a tired premise.

I really enjoyed the finale, I thought it explained everything without getting too weird and confusing like some shows do to pretend they're being clever.

I'm still thinking about the characters and what they were going through this morning!

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 22 2010, 10:59 AM BST

such a tired premise.

It was tired, yes, and in a way a bit of a cop out (no pun intended), because while the whole series was a fantasy, the explanation turns out to be that it's a different sort of complete fantasy, the heaven and hell thing. It wasn't really a rational explanation.

Quote: Nogget @ May 22 2010, 11:33 AM BST

It was tired, yes, and in a way a bit of a cop out (no pun intended), because while the whole series was a fantasy, the explanation turns out to be that it's a different sort of complete fantasy, the heaven and hell thing. It wasn't really a rational explanation.

How? Old/tired or not, it fitted what had gone before; what else could it have been? It turned out to be more or less exactly what I thought it would be. It was the rational ending in the context of the series we've been watching for the last few years. Maybe it wasn't the jaw dropping rug puller some might have hoped for, but any other ending or explanation would have been a 'cop out' in many ways.

Quote: ShoePie @ May 22 2010, 11:11 AM BST

I really enjoyed the finale, I thought it explained everything without getting too weird and confusing like some shows do to pretend they're being clever.

Yes.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 22 2010, 11:42 AM BST

How?

Well, they could have created their own mythology rather than ripping off the Christian one wholesale.

"It's a place cops go to sort themselves out." versus "It's Purgatory."

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 22 2010, 11:45 AM BST

Well, they could have created their own mythology rather than ripping off the Christian one wholesale.

"It's a place cops go to sort themselves out." versus "It's Purgatory."

Well they could have done any number of things, but they didn't. 'Ripping off'? Laughing out loud These kind of endings always piss off about as many people as they please.

Rip off, really. :D Every story ever told is 'ripped off' from somewhere.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 22 2010, 11:48 AM BST

Well they could have done any number of things, but they didn't. 'Ripping off'? Laughing out loud These kind of endings always piss off about as many people as they please.

Rip off, really. :D Every story ever told is 'ripped off' from somewhere.

What else would you call it? The could have created something unique, but didn't. They just said: she's dead, she's in purgatory, heaven is above us (literally in the heavens, btw), hell below, and there's a devil.

That's not a new mythology, that's just medieval Christian tradition.

Since season one of Lost, one of the most common guesses about what's going on is "They're in Purgatory". Because it's an already-there story. It needs no explanation. Just say "Purgatory" and everybody immediately understands. That's how tired and lazy it is.

What does Lost rip off? What did Twin Peaks rip off?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 22 2010, 11:58 AM BST

What else would you call it? The could have created something unique, but didn't. They just said: she's dead, she's in purgatory, heaven is above us (literally in the heavens, btw), hell below, and there's a devil.

That's not a new mythology, that's just medieval Christian tradition.

And what exactly is wrong with that? They didn't give you an ending you were happy with, that's all. These sort of shows are always very divisive when they give up their final episode explanation. Witness the outcry from many at the last episode of Battlestar Gallactica, or The Prisoner; and just wait to see some of the comments flying back and forth come the end of Lost. These things never please everyone; one persons perfect ending is anothers 'tired rip off'. *shrugs*

What does Lost rip off? What did Twin Peaks rip off?

It's used that mythology, I don't understand the rip off comment at all really. Maybe it could have invented something entirely new, but it didn't. For me, the use of this familiar, emotive mythology, something everyone can understand and relate to, made the end all the more powerful.

Just say "Purgatory" and everybody immediately understands.

Exactly! But it doesn't work for you, so there we go. Hopefully Lost will end in a way you like! :) I thought your idea for that final image was very good and more than possibly correct.