Newsjack - Series 11 Page 4

Cheers, :)

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 18th September 2014, 6:33 PM BST

Thanks for the extended notes, Ash.

Isn't it the Now Show for the first 4 weeks? Or does Sandi record her own personal News Quiz in the off season?

Oh - I'll stop there then...

You're right, I'm confusing Radio 4 topical comedy shows, it's easily done.

Also yeah sorry I did mean intros to the sketches. They wanted something snappy with a joke in that sets it up. Dave didn't you comment on last series' briefing that Arnab wanted the show to be easier to listen to without knowing every news story from the past week? This will be an attempt to move in that direction then.

Right, best start faffing with my arrangement of amusing words then.

Two sketches and an advert sent - and so it begins...

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 22nd September 2014, 11:41 AM BST

Two sketches and an advert sent - and so it begins...

Me too! At 11.59am, I'm never cutting that fine again.... :S

Sent mine at 11:57, no point cutting it too fine.

Btw - think they've always had intros on sketches in the final broadcast it was just last series where Romesh (& Mae) were writing a lot of them. Don't blame them if finding 20 topical gags at a moment's notice lost its appeal as the series went on.

I notice the online guidelines don't explicitly say to stick a joke in the intro. Top tip - do that. You want to get the audience, and perhaps more importantly the reader, laughing asap.

I sent mine at about 11.15, perhaps I was premature?

I went to the writer's brief last week and the copious notes I took have been really useful. Here's hoping...!

Sent off my sketches for this week on Sunday night.

And my oneliners went off Monday morning before work.

Just sent off 4 'breaking news' and 3 'tv listings'.

Anyone care to share what their sketches were about? Mine were thyroid levels link to poor maths, Downton Abbey and my mini sketch was Calais crisis.

My sketches were on Farage posting letters to Scottish MPs and the naked celebrity photo leaks.

My 30 sec sketch was about Murder coming naturally to chimpanzees. (Which is a last week topic, but while it is the 1st week, I might just get away with it.)

It's a shame that they don't have the "Coming up" section for one liners this series, as when I was going through my draft documents, I found a good one that I wrote in the off-season.

I guess I'll save it for series 12, in the hopes that they bring it back.

Sent 6 Breakings and 3 listings - some of which I'm quite delighted with.

My sketches were on - fraudulance in the Badger Cull, Russia cutting off it's internet in an emergency and my advert was on the Scotts debate.

I feel pretty pleased with my efforts this week

Sigh, just missed the deadline cos of tech fail.

Can someone savvy please point me towards a way , ( I believe an App may be called for) that I can save and write those little rtf files on my new shiny iPad Air ( that I clearly have no clue how to use)

I had a couple of ideas for sketches but no time to develop them. I got an advert idea based on Plymouth University buying 7 chairs but work was too busy and had no time to develop it.

I did manage to come up with 6 breaking news and 3 TV listings which I am quite happy with.

Quote: cynic @ 23rd September 2014, 12:18 PM BST

Sigh, just missed the deadline cos of tech fail.

Can someone savvy please point me towards a way , ( I believe an App may be called for) that I can save and write those little rtf files on my new shiny iPad Air ( that I clearly have no clue how to use)

I had the exact same issue. Consider your question seconded! I had to write mine in work as I refuse to pay another €150 for microsoft office for my laptop.

I got the word app for the ipad but you still need to buy office to be able to have full use such as writing and editing.

I think the easiest non-Word way is to use Google Docs. Should be able to edit rtf files relatively easily in there.

Btw - what were you using to edit .doc documents beforehand? Most things that edit .doc should be able to edit .rtf as well.

They said in the briefing they don't mind you not using the actual template if you can't get it to work; just replicate the format using Word and send that way. As long as they can read it and cut'n'paste to another file that's fine.

Agree with StephenM -- use Google Docs as you can export as .doc and .rtf

Dan