The IT Crowd 2.0 Page 10

I thought last nights episode was the best yet. Great dinner party scenes and loved the bit where Richmond was up on the ceiling :D

Last nights episode was great, two really great episodes in a row now; it looks like this show is finally starting to live up to its potential. Though I would have loved to have seen Matt Berry at the dinner party rather than Richmond! Lets hope the rest of the series manages to maintain this level of quality.

Quote: zooo @ September 14, 2007, 11:44 PM

(And no, it is not strange to fancy Matt Berry)

you two should go see him in concert! he's doing a sing song

I gave up on this last week so didn't see it. But if he didn't have loo paper, (Elaine did that in Seinfeld) and if he couldn't flush it away (Mike did that in Spin City)

neither of those things happened.

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ September 15, 2007, 10:07 AM

Surely THAT would have been predictable?

yes. but being a child i wanted more poo.
i strongly suspect that one of the drafts of the script would have taken that poo plot line for roy and developed it further. but someone would have decided to cut it and just make Jen usher him back in to the dining room instead.

Yeah but Dumb and Dumber did one of the best "not been able to flush" scenes ever, so anything else would've paled in comparison.

Brilliant again yesterday. Best yet? Possibly. I don't think you can compare the Peter File joke to that in Brass eye as they were very different. Roy's line about needing to poo was the best line of the series so far! Other higlights included Richmond on the ceiling, the guys acting normal before the guests arrived and Moss turning into an embarrassed husband. That's also two episodes in a row where Jen has yelled for a taxi. Not a major talking point, but I thought i'd mention it. Overall, this is me watching this episode and indeed this series so far -> Laughing out loud

I don't watch Seinfeld so if he ripped it off I wouldn't know. I just thought it was funny.

The Peter File was so obvious that you had to laugh but you had to be on their wave length to think the Rifkin thing was funny.

Signed namesake of John Lennon's murderer.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ September 15, 2007, 11:43 AM

Seinfeld examples:

Jen and her boyfriend been all cutesy-cutesy with each other and Roy and Moss looking uncomforable - Compares with Jerry and his girlfriend been all cutesy-cutesy with each other, remember "No you're Schmoopy" and George and Elaine looking uncomfortable. (Episode - The Soup Nazi)

----

Roy trying to find out if the woman with the bandaged face is still attractive - Compares with Elaine trying to find out if her boyfriend who has a bandaged up face is still attractive, some lines from the scene: (Episode - The Stall)

ELAINE
so huh, what did the doctors say?

TONY
they said huh.. they said I'm coming along

ELAINE
but what else did they say

TONY
well, they said huh Tony, try to keep it clean

ELAINE
yeah.. no I mean did they get into stuff like a.. long jagged scars or.. gross deformities, major skin grafts, stuff like that

TONY
I really don't remember, I was kinda out of it for the 1st couple of days, I was on a lot of medications, it was kinda like a haze, it's pretty cool

ELAINE
huh (smiles) but huh, in this medicated haze, in this woozy state, um do you recall the words.. radical reconstructive surgery being uttered?

----

And then the more obvious one, at the end when Jen is with her boyfriend and the tanoy announces "Can a Peter File please come to..." and everyone stares at them and Jen says "It's Peter File not paedophile!" - Compares with Elaine dating a guy called Joel Rifkin (who shares his name with a murderer) and at a baseball game this happens: (Episode - The Masseuse)

ANNOUNCER: Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention, please? Would Joel Rifkin report to the stadium office. Joel Rifkin...telephone. (the crowd stops cheering and we see a football player distracted from the game while hearing the announcer saying Joel Rifkin)

JOEL: Who would be calling me here? (he stands up and looks around)

ELAINE: (to the person in front of her) He's not the murderer.

----

The first and last I picked up on, someone else on another site mentioned the "bandaged face" rip, which is basically just taken straight from Seinfeld. I know Grahame Linehan is a big Seinfeld fan so I'm not sure what his reasoning is, has he just got these ideas in his head subconciously forgetting that they were in Seinfeld or is he doing it intentionally.

Have to say that's a good spot. I've seen those episodes and didn't pick up on any of them.

Still thought it was very funny though. Laughing out loud

Quote: David Chapman @ September 15, 2007, 4:30 PM

I don't watch Seinfeld so if he ripped it off I wouldn't know. I just thought it was funny.

The Peter File was so obvious that you had to laugh but you had to be on their wave length to think the Rifkin thing was funny.

Signed namesake of John Lennon's murderer.

I don't get your point? The Peter File thing was not funny, it was good as a throw-away gag on Brass Eye, but it was laboured to beyond the point of funny in the IT Crowd last night.

The Joel Rifkin gag in Seinfeld worked so well because they are bound to be others called that and the fact that Elaine starts suggesting other names for him to use is great and then he gets into the idea and starts suggesting names himself, mainly Stuart which Elaine hates even more than Joel Rifkin. :D

Quote: Martin Holmes @ September 15, 2007, 7:50 PM

I don't get your point? The Peter File thing was not funny, it was good as a throw-away gag on Brass Eye, but it was laboured to beyond the point of funny in the IT Crowd last night.

The Joel Rifkin gag in Seinfeld worked so well because they are bound to be others called that and the fact that Elaine starts suggesting other names for him to use is great and then he gets into the idea and starts suggesting names himself, mainly Stuart which Elaine hates even more than Joel Rifkin. :D

That's the whole point of Lineham's comedies.

He does overdo things and that's why WE find it funny. Also the situations are so ridiculous that they (probably) could never really happen. And the characters are unbelievable.

I was really embarrassed by the Peter File pun, which I've even heard from my dad, who doesn't know who Chris Morris is. Also the actress who played Richmond's dinner partner was considerably off-key.

Richmond stuck to the ceiling was good though.

I hate to criticise this, but at the moment, the quality of the comedy doesn't accurately reflect the talent involved - which is immense.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ September 15, 2007, 12:12 PM

you two should go see him in concert! he's doing a sing song

I would choke on my drool.

Haha, Moss's reaction to hearing Peter File was great, I choked on my sandwich.

Really good episode this week, although the actors playing Jen's freinds, were really cringeworthy, but it's all good.

I love this show.