The IT Crowd 2.0 Page 15

Just watched this week's episode (from Friday night). Very, very funny. Had me properly lol-ing all the way through. Definitely the best episode to date, series one included. :)

It really made me laugh and I loved the flaming bra Laughing out loud

I thought the whole episode was a bit contrived and lazy especially the Moz appearing on the news bit. I already new the punchline to that joke as soon as Moz said he couldn't remember the name.

Father Ted set up jokes in a similar way but it was so masterfully done, in hindsight by the director, that you never felt that it was overly staged or blindingless obvious. So to put it bluntly i thought it was poor. And what the (i'm going to swear) f**k is up with the lighting!?! Were the union on strike or something, again this just points to the director not making this show as good as it could be.

This wasn't the best episode, I shouldn't have read this thread before, I was too excited.

It felt like it's something they'd stuck together with bits from other shows, lol.

Quote: ajp29 @ September 23, 2007, 7:38 PM

I thought the whole episode was a bit contrived and lazy especially the Moz appearing on the news bit. I already new the punchline to that joke as soon as Moz said he couldn't remember the name.

But then you're an over-analysing writer, so not really the target audience anyway. :P

Quote: Aaron @ September 23, 2007, 7:56 PM

But then you're an over-analysing writer, so not really the target audience anyway. :P

Is that a polite way of calling me a grumpy bastard Laughing out loud

In a roundabout sort of way.

i enjoyed this one. it made me laugh again. but i thought the bra bursting into flames was a cop out really.

I thought the episode 'Smoke & Mirrors' was hilarious. I loved the google joke and Jen's "My tits are on fire"...

(Also, anything with Amelia Bulmore in gets extra points from me!)

Who was she?

I think she was the lawyer?

Her from Suburban Shootout.

I agree with Leevil... I shouldn't have read this thread before watching. I thought, "My God, Arron – who didn't laugh at Spaced or This is Spinal Tap – laughed all the way through! It has to be rip-roaringly, side-splittingly hilarious. But it wasn't. I prefer the 'situational' stuff, like when Roy and Moss both get caught in predicaments as a result of the bathroom attendant and their inability to pee. It was certainly contrived, but it had its moments. I loved the bits with the boss, except the punchline... this is a suitcase.

Quote: ajp29 @ September 23, 2007, 7:38 PM

Father Ted set up jokes in a similar way but it was so masterfully done, in hindsight by the director, that you never felt that it was overly staged or blindingless obvious. So to put it bluntly i thought it was poor. And what the (i'm going to swear) f**k is up with the lighting!?! Were the union on strike or something, again this just points to the director not making this show as good as it could be.

There are a number of instances in this series and the last where the show has suffered a little because Linehan is directing. A little example is last weeks show when Jen goes for a taxi at the end. It's not quite punchy enough because the original take isn't long enough but the editor has to hold it. The first series had a few scenes where the characters' heads are too close to the top of the frame because Linehan had ordered too tight crops. Another good example is when the jap businessman jumps on Jen's feet in the DMs, the cut away of the outside of the building doesn't work. It's Linehan trying to get the same effect from the Father Ted scene when the AA man tries to stop Jack drinking and it jump cuts to an ambulance. He's a good director of actors and he gets the most out of his lines but like many writers who direct falls down on shooting 'coverage' and the technical stuff.

I totally agree with AJP about the episode being contrived and a bit lazy, although it was very funny. It definitely feels as if Linehan didn't have the ideas for this series or he was working on something else at the same time. And now we know why Chris Morris isn't in it any more.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 22, 2007, 7:50 PM

Ive seen the pilot where he plays Bainbridge, and Im glad he couldnt do the series, because I dont think hes a patch on Matt Berry in the role. I love the series two episode he appears in though, with the little head octopus thing; very, very funny.

Well yeah, Matt Berry is outstanding as Dixon bainbridge. Luckily I met him in a pub last year and was able to tell him what a comedy God he is. Stupidly forgot to shout Whiskey! to the barmaid.