The IT Crowd 2.0 Page 9

I think Matt Berry is great, I can imagine him being a bit marmitey though.

it makes me laugh. and that is why i like it. on that basis i can forgive its weaknesses.

I like Matt Berry too. I think he suits The IT Crowd very much. The piracy thing at the beginning and its pay off at the end were fantastic. Jen's smoking storyline was incredible. The fact that it's on just after Not Going Out now is brilliant. What an hour of comedy!! Laughing out loud

Quote: Loopey @ September 8, 2007, 2:26 PM

I've only just caught up with this thread and just watched the wheelchair episode. If someone pulls the emergency cord in a disabled loo, the staff have a key, so bashing the door down was not necessary and I felt it was just filling time. The patronizing looks were spot on though.

So you mean that it's not factually correct?

Oh - you disappoint me!

Laughing out loud
I just thought the breaking down the door thing went on for too long considering the 'incorrect facts.'

They could have lost the key!

In fact it could have been stolen!

There's another angle! Easy ain't it? ;-)

Did anyone see tonights? Some funny lines but can't believe how much was ripped off other shows, especially the Peter File gag first used by Chris Morris on Brass Eye. Then lots of Seinfeld pinching. This show desperately wants to be good but it has so many flaws and it's a shame because you can see that it does have potential to be great.

I loved tonights! It was amazing! Just made me laugh aloud.

BTW is it slighty wrong that I think Matt Berry is kinda cute?

Quote: Martin Holmes @ September 14, 2007, 10:52 PM

Did anyone see tonights? Some funny lines but can't believe how much was ripped off other shows, especially the Peter File gag first used by Chris Morris on Brass Eye. Then lots of Seinfeld pinching. This show desperately wants to be good but it has so many flaws and it's a shame because you can see that it does have potential to be great.

I thought tonight's episode was very funny - best one so far. I'd forgotten about the Chris Morris link, but can't picture off the top of my head how Seinfeld was ripped off. Any examples?

I'M PETER FILE!!!

"I'VE WASHED MY HANDS!"

"Stop pinching me. I'm trying to eat my dinner!"

I liked their 'dinner party conversation': documentary, balsamic vinegar. Hee.

(And no, it is not strange to fancy Matt Berry)

i enjoyed tonight's but i think the episodes are gradually getting less funny as the series progresses.
i missed matt berry. i wanted to see him at the dinner party.
i enjoyed the scene where they tried to look "normal" before the other gusets arrived.
and the bit where roy wanted a poo. being a child, i wanted to see that developed more. eg him in the toilet for ages, making a mess, no paper, log not flushing away etc. i would rather have seen that than the face conversation which i felt was a bit predictable and repetitive.

Quote: johnny roulette @ September 15, 2007, 10:02 AM

i wanted to see that developed more. eg him in the toilet for ages, making a mess, no paper, log not flushing away etc.

Surely THAT would have been predictable?

Quote: Jay72 @ September 14, 2007, 11:03 PM

I thought tonight's episode was very funny - best one so far. I'd forgotten about the Chris Morris link, but can't picture off the top of my head how Seinfeld was ripped off. Any examples?

Seinfeld examples:

Jen and her boyfriend been all cutesy-cutesy with each other and Roy and Moss looking uncomforable - Compares with Jerry and his girlfriend been all cutesy-cutesy with each other, remember "No you're Schmoopy" and George and Elaine looking uncomfortable. (Episode - The Soup Nazi)

----

Roy trying to find out if the woman with the bandaged face is still attractive - Compares with Elaine trying to find out if her boyfriend who has a bandaged up face is still attractive, some lines from the scene: (Episode - The Stall)

ELAINE
so huh, what did the doctors say?

TONY
they said huh.. they said I'm coming along

ELAINE
but what else did they say

TONY
well, they said huh Tony, try to keep it clean

ELAINE
yeah.. no I mean did they get into stuff like a.. long jagged scars or.. gross deformities, major skin grafts, stuff like that

TONY
I really don't remember, I was kinda out of it for the 1st couple of days, I was on a lot of medications, it was kinda like a haze, it's pretty cool

ELAINE
huh (smiles) but huh, in this medicated haze, in this woozy state, um do you recall the words.. radical reconstructive surgery being uttered?

----

And then the more obvious one, at the end when Jen is with her boyfriend and the tanoy announces "Can a Peter File please come to..." and everyone stares at them and Jen says "It's Peter File not paedophile!" - Compares with Elaine dating a guy called Joel Rifkin (who shares his name with a murderer) and at a baseball game this happens: (Episode - The Masseuse)

ANNOUNCER: Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention, please? Would Joel Rifkin report to the stadium office. Joel Rifkin...telephone. (the crowd stops cheering and we see a football player distracted from the game while hearing the announcer saying Joel Rifkin)

JOEL: Who would be calling me here? (he stands up and looks around)

ELAINE: (to the person in front of her) He's not the murderer.

----

The first and last I picked up on, someone else on another site mentioned the "bandaged face" rip, which is basically just taken straight from Seinfeld. I know Grahame Linehan is a big Seinfeld fan so I'm not sure what his reasoning is, has he just got these ideas in his head subconciously forgetting that they were in Seinfeld or is he doing it intentionally.