The Wright Way Page 20

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 4 2013, 10:33 AM BST

I would pick out his characterisation of Mrs Malika for one. Brazenly ambitious, ruthless in her work and desire for recogition, happy to suck up to Wright hoping this'll further her career, yet disgustingly fickle when he's sacked on the spot and she flirts with the Mayor and asks for Wright's job.

Sorry but literally, this is a blatantly sexist representation of women for entertainment's sake. Neither of us may agree with it as being seen so, but literally it is. Her character was modelled purposely by Elton to make play of her extreme stereotypical qualities, those of which have for centuries been the stereotype of 'women at their worst as constructed by power wielding men'.

Her character is the very embodiment of a deemed sexist female stereotype, whether to me and you she is a harmless cartoon sitcom functionary or not. Arch fems would not have women being shown in this way!

Gerald uses her as a sex object too, unwittingly, but he still does. This is ironic comedy but still the fems would argue the writer is exploiting the female's sexuality for laughs. Sexist again. Yes yes, kid you I do not, I do not you kid. :S

You baffle me maybe. But a bubble is a bubble I guess. How would you think the 'Fems' would like women portrayed in a sitcom like The Wright Way?

I am baffled as to how Malika Maha herself is a sexist character. She appears to me to be strong and independent, with her own identity. She is not a simpering, giggling tits-n-teeth caricature.

Quote: Aaron @ May 4 2013, 4:27 PM BST

I am baffled as to how Malika Maha herself is a sexist character. She appears to me to be strong and independent,

She is, but to the point of being a sexually manipulative ambitious ball breaking harridan. If you were to take her literally. Not an image the fems like.

Quote: Marc P @ May 4 2013, 3:36 PM BST

How would you think the 'Fems' would like women portrayed in a sitcom like The Wright Way?

I reckon they'd be happy with the daughter, a young level headed woman doing well in a man's world. She's a plumber. And a lesbo.

For the H&S officer, I think they'd prefer an equal or superior of Wright's, not a sexy subordinate after his job.

Truth is though, hardcore fems just don't cope well with humour and tend to shun it rather than look for roles and characters they'd find suitable. Humour tends to trip them up and make their arguments look daft. You and me have no problem at all with Malika's depiction.

Watched both of these again because I was questioning my judgement after reading many of the posts on this thread. But no, if anything I enjoyed them more than the first time. Yes they are broad, old fashioned and a bit creaky at times. But they are also entertaining, consistently funny and well acted, I like it a lot, it is in the grand tradition of British sitcoms. My only complaint is that it could be on earlier, it might need a slight rethink to tone it down a bit, but this has a wide appeal that could attract a wider and larger audience.

Lol at these 'hardcore fems' Alfred knows so much about.

Why is it on so late, though? Are the Beeb trying to bury it? If so, it hasn't worked. This should be on Friday night with Not Going Out.

Not impressed, he was funny acting like that (face down, shouty, pointy) in The Thin Blue Line, but in this it's just plain annoying.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 3 2013, 7:28 PM BST

Broadly in favour of it, my one big worry with it being it's such a bold unsubtle style of sitcom he produces, it gives the anti-studio sitcom lobby much more to belittle. So ultimately, this, Citizen Khan and The Royal Bodyguard, not to mention Miranda, could do as much harm as good to the cause of the SAS, which is in a current revival.

What's SAS stand for? Is it the acronym of some body called Save the Sitcom, or something, which campaigns to keep situation comedies onscreen?

What is everyone's problem with The Wright Way? Okay it's not the best sitcom ever but it is watchable and there are some real laugh out loud moments.

Quote: Phoenix Lazarus @ May 5 2013, 9:46 PM BST

What's SAS stand for?

Studio audience sitcom.

Quote: Aaron @ May 6 2013, 1:13 AM BST

Studio audience sitcom.

Ah, right. Thanks.