The Wright Way Page 17

Just watched episode two pretty much laughed throughout. David Haig... genius. 'Talk me through my big cock' genius. Loving it.

I really want to like this but the casting, script and general hammy-ness leaves me shaking my head in mild outrage.

Ironically, it reminds me of "Oh Crikey". The pisstake from Ben Elton of this type of comedy. Life imitating art?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_3UnARrfWU

I did the warm ups for half the series and can confirm that the audience laughter is real and was recorded on the night.
Big audience too.

Quote: JasonCook @ May 1 2013, 10:08 PM BST

I did the warm ups for half the series and can confirm that the audience laughter is real and was recorded on the night.
Big audience too.

The world has gone mad. Or do they pipe nitrous oxide through the vents?

Goggles for playing conkers, how we laughed. Despite being one of the worst sitcoms in living memory, it's still more amusing than the Richard Littlejohn columns Ben Elton has been reading.

Quote: JasonCook @ May 1 2013, 10:08 PM BST

Big audience too.

You must have done a dam good job warming them up, only explanation, after that they would have laughed at a dog in a red hat.

Quote: curtis patrick @ May 1 2013, 11:33 PM BST

You must have done a dam good job warming them up, only explanation, after that they would have laughed at a dog in a red hat.

Or even a contrived acronym that spells cock.

Quote: curtis patrick @ May 1 2013, 6:47 PM BST

Is there a sitcom with any form of added audience laughter you don't like?

I actually dislike a number of sitcoms, e.g. On The Buses, Love Thy Neighbour, the list goes on and on, as many on this site will testify, just ask Aaron. But I have to be honest and both this and Vicious made me laugh and I enjoyed them, so sue me.

This really pongs. I watched the second episode just because this thread shows there is an almost even split of pro/con comments. Really dire.

There's a good article in Private Eye reviewing this, making a very accurate comparison with things like Brittas Empire. If this was on around 7.30-8.30 and toned down just a tiny bit so it was clearly a family show, it probably wouldn't be so noxious.

Whilst its jokes are obvious for people who have watched 30+ years of comedy, I suppose it has value in that loads of viewers will never have watched the shows it is imitating, so to them the jokes are new. The only problem is when people from the new wave/alternative comedy thing who made their names as iconoclasts then start to mimic the people they were putting down in the 1980s, seems a bit more lame than if it were a more recent talent doing it (eg Miranda).

Is there any way to see this in Germany? The BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. I would really love to see his, as I lovd The Thin Blue Line, and Grim is really one of my all-time favourite sitcom roles.

Have they not launched a subscription-based international iPlayer? Or maybe that's not available in Germany?

Quote: Unfunny German @ May 2 2013, 6:02 PM BST

Is there any way to see this in Germany? The BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. I would really love to see his, as I lovd The Thin Blue Line, and Grim is really one of my all-time favourite sitcom roles.

Have a trawl around for some VPN software which will get the iPlayer up and running.

Quote: Snafu @ May 2 2013, 2:42 PM BST

The only problem is when people from the new wave/alternative comedy thing who made their names as iconoclasts then start to mimic the people they were putting down in the 1980s, seems a bit more lame than if it were a more recent talent doing it (eg Miranda).

Ben Elton always spoke about his love for traditional ensemble sitcoms. It's just that this is no Dad's Army.

I really enjoyed this week's episode , there was some really funny laugh out loud moments.

Quote: youngian @ May 2 2013, 6:26 PM BST

always spoke about his love for traditional ensemble sitcoms. It's just that this is no Dad's Army.

He cited the ensemble nature of Dad's Army as his model for The Thin Blue Line.

Quote: Marc P @ May 3 2013, 9:18 AM BST

He cited the ensemble nature of Dad's Army as his model for The Thin Blue Line.

In the same way that the St Matthew Passion provides the model for "Lick My Love Pump", presumably.

He said it Tokyo. Or are you disputing what he said now as well as not liking his material. In what way do you feel TTBL was not an ensemble sitcom along the lines of Dad's Army?