The Wright Way Page 18

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ May 3 2013, 10:02 AM BST

In the same way that the St Matthew Passion provides the model for "Lick My Love Pump", presumably.

I beg your pardon, was that from the seventies starring Reg Varney and the Brighouse and Rastric Brass Band.

Quote: Marc P @ May 3 2013, 10:10 AM BST

He said it Tokyo. Or are you disputing what he said now as well as not liking his material. In what way do you feel TTBL was not an ensemble sitcom along the lines of Dad's Army?

It's the implication that they're of a similar quality that amuses me. There are lots of ensemble sitcoms you can refer to if you want an example to explain the concept. Picking one of the finest is rather presumptuous. If you say that you and your mate are a double act, like Laurel and Hardy, that conveys the same information as saying you're a double act like the Chuckle Brothers, but somehow the effect is subtly different.

TTBL was a serviceable BBC sitcom. It wasn't great, but there have been many worse. It certainly wasn't, in any way, Dad's Army.

He was explaining his inspirations Tokyo. Nothing wrong with that. There was no comment about similarity in quality he was just talking about a sitcoms he admired and loved the ensemble format. Seems perfectly acceptable to me.

I still don't understand why TTBL recieved such mediocre to negative reactions. In my opinion it's one of the funniest and most underrated Britcoms ever done. Of course its style was a bit wacky and old-fashioned, but let's be honest, Blackadder and Fawlty were often like that, too, and are still considered among the greatest British comedy ever done. But what made TTBL really great were the characters. Especially Grim, Goody, Kray and Gladstone are really great characters who could all have their own spinoff series. Well, Grim practically has now. Laughing out loud

Quote: Unfunny German @ May 3 2013, 4:47 PM BST

I still don't understand why TTBL recieved such mediocre to negative reactions.

Because Rowan Atkinson divides opinion, and it was perceived as a vehicle for him. So enthusiasm depending on your enthusiasm for Atkinson. Wasn't it post-Bean, and therefore a lot of the goodwill for Blackadder had expired?

Quote: Unfunny German @ May 3 2013, 4:47 PM BST

I still don't understand why TTBL recieved such mediocre to negative reactions.

It didn't. Don't believe what the press tell you. It was voted 34th greatest British sitcom ever by the public almost a decade after it ended. Does that sound like a show with "mediocre to negative" reception?

Just seen ep 2. I laughed as much if not more this time, between 7 and 10 times I'd guess. I also cringed a lot like I always do at Elton's peurile sense of humour. I liked the first ten mins at home but then the sixth form stuff really kicked in at the office. And in walked as cartoon a character you are likely to see in live action sitcom.

But they are all cartoony characters, as they were in TTBL. He goes way OTT on characterisation and can't stop himself indulging in huge spurts of sexual humour (strange for such a rabid nonsexist, eh?) but does do the storyline stuff very well. As this must be the weakest element in most other recent sitcoms it is good to see it being done right once again.

Broadly in favour of it, my one big worry with it being it's such a bold unsubtle style of sitcom he produces, it gives the anti-studio sitcom lobby much more to belittle. So ultimately, this, Citizen Khan and The Royal Bodyguard, not to mention Miranda, could do as much harm as good to the cause of the SAS, which is in a current revival.

I'd like to see some less lurid examples of it made now, something like WHTTLL and Butterflies, both being repeated at the mo, and looking better than ever. Can we possibly get back to that level of sitcom making, I wonder? We won't get there with former standups writing them, that's for certain.

Quote: Aaron @ May 3 2013, 6:06 PM BST

It didn't. Don't believe what the press tell you. It was voted 34th greatest British sitcom ever by the public almost a decade after it ended. Does that sound like a show with "mediocre to negative" reception?

Okay, you're probably right. There are of course many people who liked it and still do, and it has still a small, but enthusiastc fanbase, but the reaction of the press was rather negative. Maybe I should have pointed that out more.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 3 2013, 7:28 PM BST

The Royal Bodyguard

Was a single camera, closed-set, location sitcom.

Quote: Aaron @ May 3 2013, 6:06 PM BST

It is still one of my favourites.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 3 2013, 7:28 PM BST

Just seen ep 2. I laughed as much if not more this time, between 7 and 10 times I'd guess. I also cringed a lot like I always do at Elton's peurile sense of humour. I liked the first ten mins at home but then the sixth form stuff really kicked in at the office. And in walked as cartoon a character you are likely to see in live action sitcom.

But they are all cartoony characters, as they were in TTBL. He goes way OTT on characterisation and can't stop himself indulging in huge spurts of sexual humour (strange for such a rabid nonsexist, eh?) but does do the storyline stuff very well. As this must be the weakest element in most other recent sitcoms it is good to see it being done right once again.

Broadly in favour of it, my one big worry with it being it's such a bold unsubtle style of sitcom he produces, it gives the anti-studio sitcom lobby much more to belittle. So ultimately, this, Citizen Khan and The Royal Bodyguard, not to mention Miranda, could do as much harm as good to the cause of the SAS, which is in a current revival.

I'd like to see some less lurid examples of it made now, something like WHTTLL and Butterflies, both being repeated at the mo, and looking better than ever. Can we possibly get back to that level of sitcom making, I wonder? We won't get there with former standups writing them, that's for certain.

Sexual humour and sexism have nothing necessarily to do with each other. WTF is going on with people and Ben Elton on here? Talk me through my big cock... is sexism how? Unless you have issues Alfred?

A satellite swing bin :D

Quote: Aaron @ May 3 2013, 9:30 PM BST

Was a single camera, closed-set, location sitcom.

? Yes! Part of a different sentence I forgot was there. MBB and Vicious it was meant to read.

Quote: Marc P @ May 3 2013, 10:10 PM BST

Sexual humour and sexism have nothing necessarily to do with each other. WTF is going on with people and Ben Elton on here? Talk me through my big cock... is sexism how? Unless you have issues Alfred?

Yes yes, but I couldn't be bothered to find the right way to express his odd role as Godfather of nonsexist comedy, slayer of Benny Hill and his angels and his own profuse use of smut and innuendo, not to mention his frequent mentioning of female's unmentionables. The two don't sit comfortably with me. Or with many others. Hill was never that crude, and his 'sexism' was pretty innocent saucy postcard stuff.

Elton always makes references about females in bathrooms, their bottoms, PMT, and yet he gets away with not being called sexist or being accused of using women as the butt of his humour. By most anyway. How's that work? :S

If you're sitting on them, it's no wonder you feel uncomfortable.

Ha ha, I've adjusted myself now.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 4 2013, 12:10 AM BST

? Yes! Part of a different sentence I forgot was there. MBB and Vicious it was meant to read.

Yes yes, but I couldn't be bothered to find the right way to express his odd role as Godfather of nonsexist comedy, slayer of Benny Hill and his angels and his own profuse use of smut and innuendo, not to mention his frequent mentioning of female's unmentionables. The two don't sit comfortably with me. Or with many others. Hill was never that crude, and his 'sexism' was pretty innocent saucy postcard stuff.

Elton always makes references about females in bathrooms, their bottoms, PMT, and yet he gets away with not being called sexist or being accused of using women as the butt of his humour. By most anyway. How's that work? :S

Just the yes would have been alright Alfred. We are discussing The Wright Way not what he was up to thirty odd years ago. Please give an example of sexism in The Wright Way and we can discuss that.