The Wright Way Page 23

Quote: Aaron @ May 15 2013, 12:42 PM BST

Well there's not an official list, no.

The BBC of course, isn't a company. Which is part of the problem.

I actually watched last night's episode twice, and laughed on both occasions. I'm very thankful to have it on air.

What, you laughed once on both occasions?

Personally I think it's a sad state of affairs when people not only laugh at some idiotic "comedy" character writing smut large on a board for supposed comic effect, but that they openly admit to it!

This is comedy at its lowest ebb, and to think that it's been long held that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?

Quote: gb901 @ May 15 2013, 10:10 PM BST

Laughed plenty of times. More on the second watch. :)

Personally I think it's a sad state of affairs when people not not laugh at some idiotic "comedy" character writing smut large on a board for supposed comic effect, but that they openly admit to it!

That's a bit precious isn't it?

It's always easy to go stomping around shouting 'I don't like that, no one else is allowed to!', but does it reeeeally affect you in any way if someone laughs at something not to your taste?
I am equally happy to laugh at Stewart Lee, Armando Iannuci, Michael McIntyre, or a show like this. Laughing isn't an intellectual decision, it should happen spontaneously. If it does, it does. And if it doesn't, there's no need to go around haranguing other people for not being exactly like you. :)

Personally I think it's a sad state of affairs when people not not laugh at some idiotic "comedy" character writing smut large on a board for supposed comic effect, but that they openly admit to it!

This is comedy at its lowest ebb, and to think that it's been long held that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?

Can you write this so people can understand what you are saying?

Quote: zooo @ May 15 2013, 10:34 PM BST

That's a bit precious isn't it?

It's always easy to go stomping around shouting 'I don't like that, no one else is allowed to!', but does it reeeeally affect you in any way if someone laughs at something not to your taste?
I am equally happy to laugh at Stewart Lee, Armando Iannuci, Michael McIntyre, or a show like this. Laughing isn't an intellectual decision, it should happen spontaneously. If it does, it does. And if it doesn't, there's no need to go around haranguing other people for not being exactly like you. :)

Well yes prezunctly! :D

I really should hate this, but I love it. I even like the theme tune, it's retro heaven.

The best thing about the show for me is Haig. He must know that the writing's not up to much, but he still gives it his absolute all. He has a funny voice, a funny demeanour, and does 'frustrated' pretty well; without his presence it'd be even worse than it is.

The worst thing about TWW is the mayor. I can't begin to imagine what Elton was thinking when he decided on having him speak like that. I'm wondering if anyone on here actually sees the humour in it, and if they could try and articulate it?

Jennifer Saunders daughter (being the daughter's gf) is also fairly annoying..

I agree with those saying it doesn't deserve the slating it's received in the media. It's a below par, formulaic sitcom - but they're hardly rare, and it doesn't deserve this vitriol.

I don't find the mayor funny either, so I can't explain that one.

Yes the mayor isn't good really a tad too much. But really laughed through the episode again. It's good fun. :)

The Mayor is a bit over the top, but he's so over the top I find him quite amusing, at times I wonder if this is a parody of a sitcom, parody of a sitcom this is. Even so I really like it, David Hague is worth the ticket price alone.

I've enjoyed this series more than any other sitcom of recent times. Odd because Elton's scripts irritate me, his cartoon characters even moreso, and I fully intended only to watch to join in the Elton bashing. But I've just found this comicbook approach funny and the solid story constructions a rare pleasure after all the loose sitcomdrams we've had.

Wright reminds me of Brittas and the gay one of Peggy from Hi-De-Hi!. Both good things.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 17 2013, 2:33 PM BST

I've enjoyed this series more than any other sitcom of recent times. Odd because Elton's scripts irritate me, his cartoon characters even moreso, and I fully intended only to watch to join in the Elton bashing. But I've just found this comicbook approach funny and the solid story constructions a rare pleasure after all the loose sitcomdrams we've had.

I haven't seen TWW so far, but I think I understand what you mean. The Thin Blue Line was also rather old-fashioned even for 1995 standards, but this old-fashioned and wacky, but also timeless way of comedy makes it so enjoyable. Maybe this effect is also strenghened by the fact that there are not may sitcoms around that have this old-fashioned style after the last ten to twelve years of sitcom were very much dominated by mockumentaries and comedy-dramas. And if you're fed up with these, seeing something old-fashioned like TWW can be quite refereshing.

I started off being a little nonplussed by the home scenarios, but now I find myself enjoying them far more than those at work. They show Gerald's insanity far more clearly, contrasted with the relative normality of his family. It's less interesting when he's surrounded by people who are equally as officious as he is.

It was on later this week. Think the Beeb are trying to kill it off.

Quote: Dave @ May 22 2013, 8:11 PM BST

It was on later this week. Think the Beeb are trying to kill it off.

It was not, it's been on at 10:35 every week! Anyway I really enjoyed it, I thought it was a very funny episode. Laughing out loud

Quote: G180e @ May 22 2013, 8:52 PM BST

It was not, it's been on at 10:35 every week! Anyway I really enjoyed it, I thought it was a very funny episode. Laughing out loud

Radio Times error.