Cartoons to sitcoms

Hello, I'm a cartoonist who's trying to get into sitcom writing. Anyone else here both draws and writes?

Welcome to the site Beaky. Our Gavin is the current cartoon champ around here.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/profile/gavin/

Hi Beaky! Wave

Hi,Will and Gordon. What lovely avatars!

Well, perhaps lovely isn't quite the word...

Quote: beaky @ January 27 2013, 11:03 PM GMT

Hi,Will and Gordon. What lovely avatars!

Well, perhaps lovely isn't quite the word...

Are you calling us ugly? ;)

Strip cartoons that became sitcoms:

Andy Capp
Batman (viz. the Sixties series)
Bristow

Sitcoms that became strip cartoons:

'Allo 'Allo!
Bread
Dad's Army

For some reason my avatar isn't appearing - now, that's what you call ugly. Celeb from Private Eye was made into a very short-lived sitcom, so short-lived I don't know anyone who saw it. Writing a strip should be good practice for sitcom, as you need ruthless editing to fit the words in the space. It's still hard to cut out some of your best jokes, although once they've gone the script works a lot better...

My avatar's appeared now. It's a self-portrait.

Quote: Tim Azure @ January 28 2013, 12:44 PM GMT

Strip cartoons that became sitcoms:

Andy Capp
Batman (viz. the Sixties series)
Bristow

Also the radio sitcom Clare In The Community.

Quote: beaky @ January 28 2013, 3:32 PM GMT

Celeb from Private Eye was made into a very short-lived sitcom, so short-lived I don't know anyone who saw it.

I've seen a few episodes although it's not very popular on this site for some reason.

My avatar's appeared now. It's a self-portrait.

Blimey, such hideous hair! ;)

Celeb from Private Eye was made into a very short-lived sitcom, so short-lived I don't know anyone who saw it.

Had no idea that was a Private Eye character. I'm assuming you're referring to the 2002 BBC One series about Gary Bloke, starring Harry Enfield and Amanda Holden.

Quote: Aaron @ January 28 2013, 3:55 PM GMT

Had no idea that was a Private Eye character. I'm assuming you're referring to the 2002 BBC One series about Gary Bloke, starring Harry Enfield and Amanda Holden.

The good old days when Holden looked like an actual human.

...with an astral body. Stuff for the "Who Do You Fancy?"-thread.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ January 28 2013, 3:55 PM GMT

I've seen a few episodes although it's not very popular on this site for some reason.

Blimey, such hideous hair! ;)

What's left of it!

I think they are turning Mrs. Brown's Boys into a cartoon. It didn't do Mr. Bean any harm. :D