- 13th January: Comedy.co.uk Awards 2019 shortlist
- 2004 - 2019
- BBC Radio 4
- 73 (12 series)
- Harry Venning
- Sally Phillips, Alex Lowe, Nina Conti, Richard Lumsden, Gemma Craven, Liza Tarbuck, Sarah Kendall, Andrew Wincott and others
- Harry Venning and David Ramsden
- Katie Tyrrell and Alexandra Smith
Radio sitcom set around the professional and personal life of the social worker Clare Barker. Control freak Clare likes nothing better than interfering in other people's lives on both a professional and personal basis.
Using constant professional and technical jargon while working with colleagues and at home with her partner Brian, Clare rarely finds time to solve her own problems. She is too involved improving her client's lives and solving her friend's problems. For Clare everything is a competition, from having the ultimate linguistic answer to an argument, to improving Brian's lifestyle and their relationship as a couple. Through frequent 'talks' about their relationship, Clare and Brian agree that they love each other but eventually come to realise that they have little shared interests.
Clare is in her thirties, white, middle-class and heterosexual, all of which are occasional causes of discomfort to her.
Each week we join Clare in her continued struggle to control both her professional and private life. In today's Big Society there are plenty of challenges out there for an involved, caring social worker. Or even Clare.
- Production company
- Laugh track
- Live audience
- First broadcast
- Friday 26th November 2004 on BBC Radio 4 at 11:30am
- Last new broadcast
- Tuesday 29th October 2019 on BBC Radio 4 at 6:30pm
- Length of episodes
- 30 minutes
- Last repeat
- Wednesday 8th January 2020 at 11:00pm on Radio 4 Extra