Newsjack - Series 8 Page 9

Quote: StephenM @ February 11 2013, 10:31 PM GMT

Yep that's pretty much how I set them out, normal Word document in Arial 12 pt. Can get 10-12 on one page.

And if people are interested in seeing the style of one-liners in terms of content check out Dan's first post on this thread. Very informative.

Cheers son! You were spot on too, I have 11 on one page.

In the olden days when you had to submit topical jokes by fax I always used to be amazed by the fact that it was usually the last joke on the page that actually made it onto the show.

I'm not sure if this was because I had to get all the rubbish out of my head before I could write my best joke or because by time I'd reached the bottom of the page I'd covered all the obvious news stories so the last gag was a bit left field.

I can't remember - does the bottom of the page come out first or last on a fax?

Strangely, I've always found with Newsjack that any joke that I've got on or nearly got on has always been the second joke on the page. I guess this might be because I need to get the 'clever but not funny' gag (aka the conceited prick one) out of the way before I put something that might make my mum laugh.

I've always suspected that if they get bored by the middle, their eyes probably just gloss over the bottom half - always a dilemma if you've got a killer correction which should, logically, go at the end.

I always try to put my best jokes at the top (in case the readers attention tails off at the bottom after reading so many!)

Hi,

Just a quickie. How would you set out the corrections for the first show of the series? It might seem like a stupid question but, I thought they usually start with something like: last week we said...

Cheers,

Jason

I've just sent a one liner in. :) Fingers crossed.

Pretend there was a show last week, or use "previously", etc. If they like the gag they'll make it work.

Bollocks, sent the wrong document. :( Had to send again, but I don't know if they'll accept it now. :(

Quote: amarsandhu @ February 12 2013, 8:22 AM GMT

I always try to put my best jokes at the top (in case the readers attention tails off at the bottom after reading so many!)

Do this. They mentioned in previous Q&As chose the jokes you think are best and put them at the top. Having had to read a lot of one-liners for other shows believe me you want them to read your best ones when they're still fresh.

Of course you'll still need to separate them into 'Intro', 'Apps' & 'Corrections' so won't quite be perfect.

Quote: Jason Simmons @ February 12 2013, 8:35 AM GMT

Hi,

Just a quickie. How would you set out the corrections for the first show of the series? It might seem like a stupid question but, I thought they usually start with something like: last week we said...

As Badge said you can use 'Previously' or 'Earlier'. For example;

'Earlier we said that .... What we should have said was ...'

Quote: Nil Putters @ February 12 2013, 9:56 AM GMT

Bollocks, sent the wrong document. :( Had to send again, but I don't know if they'll accept it now. :(

Don't worry too much about it too much if you said the first one was a mistake in your second e-mail they'll just look at the second one.

They can be a bit flexible for a genuine error. But if all 600 people started sending things in the wrong format, sent things twice etc. I imagine they'd get pretty annoyed pretty quickly.

:)

Right finally started to write some half decent one-liners - few hours to go!

Quote: Badge @ February 11 2013, 11:52 PM GMT

Why?

If you think they are terrible, what's the point?

If I've written one liners (and an "and finally..." piece) I may as well submit. Nothing to lose.

Is the deadline 4.00 for one liners?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ February 12 2013, 12:52 PM GMT

Is the deadline 4.00 for one liners?

If I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me?

You are the sunshine of my wife.

Get your coat on you've pulled.

If you were a vulture I'd diesmbowl myself and lie in the sun so you'd peck me.

I'll take that as a yes