Newsjack - Series 8 Page 12

I would say with one-liners it's more about structure than length, the classic joke structure is one sentence for the setup, one sentence for the punchline. One liners roll setup and punchline into a single sentence.

So as they are a lot stricter this series so I would say one-liners, though don't need to be a single line - should be a single sentence - good acid test, will it fit into a tweet?

Though that said Badge has a tremendous hit rate with getting recorded with one-liners so listen to him!

Quote: swerytd @ February 13 2013, 11:27 AM GMT

Newsjack Revisited is on Radio 4 tonight at 11pm. Note the 'proper' Radio 4 rather than 4 Extra. It's a 'best of' series 7, I believe, before the show proper starts tomorrow at 11pm on Radio 4 Extra.

Brilliant detection, Inspector Dan!

This means I get my first ever Radio 4 credit for free - Yay!
[and they get my first ever Radio 4 credit for free - Hmmmm]

Frank Lampard has announced he's going to write a children's book.
Why can't he be a mensch and announce it on a Sunday morning?
By the time we get to it, it will have been twittered, sketched and one linered to death!

Cheers for the advice folks. I shall in future edit them subtley so that they feature in the appropriate format.

As for listening I did try to find old episodes to listen to but they weren't available on the BBC iPlayer and the only ones I could find on YouTube were from early 2011 when it was still Miles Jupp. I hadn't realised that it was now Justin Edwards. I shall tune in tonight.

Apart from Newsjack, Newsrevue and the Treason Show, what other open submission places that will pay for topical material are there? I know there's the new TSWYW coming but it's more genre sketch than topical isn't it?

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ February 13 2013, 2:15 PM GMT

I would say with one-liners it's more about structure than length, the classic joke structure is one sentence for the setup, one sentence for the punchline. One liners roll setup and punchline into a single sentence.

I think someone asked them about this in the last Webchat and, yes, they said it's more about whether the rhythm of the joke works than the actual length.

I'm fairly sure someone asked about the recording tonight some posts ago.

I shall, as ever, be going to the recording tonight so will be lurking around the BBC bar from about 6:45-ish. I'm told I look like my avatar so if you're around do come over and say hi. Think there might be a group of us going and we're generally pretty friendly.

Quote: The Man in the Bowler Hat @ February 13 2013, 11:21 AM GMT

With the one liners, is it better to put it in the format you think it'd best fit or should you just send the joke and they'll decide whether they want to use it as a jackapps/correction etc etc?

I already sent off this weeks just as "jokes" but wondered about future submissions.

I did the same, apart from the Jack Apps, as I read the submissions tips to be just that 'tips', and thought it was ok to just put a couple marked 'oneliners'.

Quote: Bomsh @ February 13 2013, 2:32 PM GMT

Brilliant detection, Inspector Dan!

This means I get my first ever Radio 4 credit for free - Yay!
[and they get my first ever Radio 4 credit for free - Hmmmm]

I got my first Radio 4 credit for free too - sadly they don't pay for News Quiz cuttings.

Quick question for anyone who attended tonight - any stand out sketches?

Just got back from the recording - a lot of material recorded and lots of it was of a really high standard. Anyways for those who can't wait til tomorrow, here's a brain dump of what they recorded... sure I've missed a few out, and sincere apologies for the awful descriptions:

Opening skit - the show being warned as it contains 60-100% horse puns
Newsjack guide to driving in icy weather
Old Popes home
Newsjack dog chipping service
Standard Ed miliband acting like a child sketch
Diary of Chris Huhne
French magician at the cheese counter at harrods
Newsjack valentine's day
The dangers of Scottish independence by Prof Brian Cox
Pope resigning to God (who likes Platypuses)
Boris Johnson 1980s 'don't talk to strangers' ad piss take but with foxes
Allotabad being made in to a theme park 'Itsnottasobad'
That was Newsjack from before North korea took over the world

Good luck everyone!

Doesn't sound like any of my sketches got on then.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 13 2013, 10:58 PM GMT

Doesn't sound like any of my sketches got on then.

Don't panic just yet there are a few missing from that list so there's still hope. I'll not spoil the surprise as it's good to have some hope!

Did they do any sketches or one-liners about things in the news?

Quote: Badge @ February 14 2013, 11:44 AM GMT

Laughing out loud

No. Ha! In your face! Not getting anything on *this* series, Badge!

Dan

Laughing out loud