Newsjack - Series 8 Page 8

And for those thinking about horse one-liners (or indeed on another couple of topics) here's a cautionary tale from the Newsjack twitter feed:

<i>NB. You'll have more chance of getting your one-liner transmitted if it isn't about horsemeat, the Pope or gay marriage. We are deluged.</i>

By all means send in a great, funny, original one on those subjects but it's really going to have to stand out from the rest to get in the show. But one on Social Reform? It'll just have to raise a titter. (That might not be exactly how it works...)

Does anyone know how NJ feels about an occasional typo?

Can anyone clarify which formats eg .docx are not readable by the production team? Thanks.

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ February 11 2013, 5:17 PM GMT

Does anyone know how NJ feels about an occasional typo?

I think they mentioned it on a web chat a while ago and they said they understand an occasional mistake will slip through the net

I have a quick question regarding the One Liners. I know they will only read one page, but does this page have to follow radio script format and be Arial, 12pt, etc. Or can it just be a list of jokes?

Thanks.

Quote: Mr M @ February 11 2013, 6:56 PM GMT

I have a quick question regarding the One Liners. I know they will only read one page, but does this page have to follow radio script format and be Arial, 12pt, etc. Or can it just be a list of jokes?

Thanks.

You can be a little more relaxed in the structure of the one-liner submission ie you don't need to indicate who is delivering the line unless it matters (eg Welsh man, posh lady etc) but why not use Arial 12pt anyway and make sure it's well laid out. The easier to read your material is, the better the chance of 'the funny' leaping out to the hard-pressed script editors reading hundreds of one-liners.

Quote: LippyAlison @ February 11 2013, 7:32 PM GMT

You can be a little more relaxed in the structure of the one-liner submission ie you don't need to indicate who is delivering the line unless it matters (eg Welsh man, posh lady etc) but why not use Arial 12pt anyway and make sure it's well laid out. The easier to read your material is, the better the chance of 'the funny' leaping out to the hard-pressed script editors reading hundreds of one-liners.

Except (as mentioned previously on this thread) if you set one-liners out nicely in radio style you get about 6 to a page and they have specified "a page" rather than a max number of one-liners.

I'm tempted to send 40 in 6-point ;)

I realise this might not have helped Mr M. I think they want to avoid printing reams of stuff, so although in previous years I have sent 6-12 one-liners over up to two pages I will now be sending as one page of up to 12 in whatever way works.

I have no idea if this is what they are looking for, but I am sure they will look at anything submitted in this way (as long as it isn't in 6-point).

Thanks for the help. Think I'll go with Arial, 12 but minus the slim margins.

Quote: Mr M @ February 11 2013, 8:48 PM GMT

Are you StephenM's dad?

Quote: Jinky @ February 11 2013, 8:49 PM GMT

Are you StephenM's dad?

Not that I know of.

Quote: Mr M @ February 11 2013, 8:53 PM GMT

Not that I know of.

Good to see the family name getting a good airing on these forums.

Quote: Mr M @ February 11 2013, 8:48 PM GMT

Yep that's pretty much how I set them out, normal Word document in Arial 12 pt. Can get 10-12 on one page.

And if people are interested in seeing the style of one-liners in terms of content check out Dan's first post on this thread. Very informative.

Quote: Blinkered @ February 11 2013, 5:58 PM GMT

Can anyone clarify which formats eg .docx are not readable by the production team? Thanks.

Only send things in .doc format or .rtf If you're using a new (think post 2004) version of word then make sure you change to .doc (Word 1994-2007 document) in 'Save as'. If you don't have the latest version of word opening .docx is a real pain and nothing kills the funny having to wait 2-3 minutes to convert your document first.

I've avoided the Horseyness. I did have one solitary horsey one liner but the 'punchline' is more related to something from last year, didn't seem right to use.

I'm struggling this week since they don't want the obvious stuff. Only done about 5 jack apps and an 'And Finally' mini-paragraph.

I've sent my TERRIBLE one liners. Agh.

Quote: Feeoree @ February 11 2013, 11:47 PM GMT

I've sent my TERRIBLE one liners. Agh.

Why?

If you think they are terrible, what's the point?