Newsjack - Series 8 Page 14

Nothing for me via email. Oh well, back to my LEGO.

Quote: babetko85 @ February 14 2013, 5:17 PM GMT

Give it 10 minutes and you'll be checking your spam folder in case the email has ended up in there. Then you'll be opening the documents repeatedly to check you gave them the right email address.

Sounds like one of my sketches was recorded, haven't heard anything yet though (checks spam)...

Haha bang on!

Can't see the writers' list up yet but pleased to say I'll be on it. :)

Mine was the Pre-Sig Horse sketch so won't have to wait long to hear it.

And congrats to Jeremy, Alison and Winger (1 post - 1 credit, not bad Winger!) do let us know what you got on.

Commiserations Dan, got a feeling we won't have to wait too long for you to keep your perfect run going.

Quote: StephenM @ February 14 2013, 5:48 PM GMT

I can stop checking my emails then, it wasn't my pre-sig horse sketch they recorded after all. Well done to everyone who got on.

I got the "sorry we forgot to record any of your stuff" email. ;)

Well done to those who got something on, or nearly did.

Quote: Badge @ February 14 2013, 6:04 PM GMT

I got the "sorry we forgot to record any of your stuff" email. ;)

Well done to those who got something on, or nearly did.

Still keeping the making the recording run going though Badge. How many's that in a row now?

Zero, if you read what I said.

Quote: StephenM @ February 14 2013, 5:48 PM GMT

Can't see the writers' list up yet but pleased to say I'll be on it. :)

And congrats to Jeremy, Alison and Winger (1 post - 1 credit, not bad Winger!) do let us know what you got on.

Commiserations Dan, got a feeling we won't have to wait too long for you to keep your perfect run going.

Thanks, this was my first time and your posts were very helpful. It's probably just a one liner but I'll post when I hear it on the radio later! Let's hope it's more than one so I can keep that hit rate going.

I got the e-mail. First time I've submitted since Series 3 when I got a sketch on but it was completely re-written and I had a little strop. But I was young and stubborn and not aware that being paid £96 for what amounted to a mornings work is f**king incredible. Now I am mature enough to realise their version was actually better than the rambling. tangential original of mine; I am glad to have returned with a credit.

I got something on! This just about makes up for being single on Valentine's Day.

I don't recognise the sketches from the list posted earlier, so most likely a one liner. Congratulations to everyone who got on and good luck to everyone else for next week.

Hi
Could anyone tell me how topical is topical? I've only just discovered the show and have only been able to listen to the best bits one so I'm not quite sure how topical you need to be e.g. if you write about a topic that happened on a Tuesday are you less likely to be accepted than something that broke on a Friday/Saturday?
Thanks
Phil

Quote: TheJaw @ February 14 2013, 7:11 PM GMT

Hi
Could anyone tell me how topical is topical? I've only just discovered the show and have only been able to listen to the best bits one so I'm not quite sure how topical you need to be e.g. if you write about a topic that happened on a Tuesday are you less likely to be accepted than something that broke on a Friday/Saturday?
Thanks
Phil

Here is a quote from one of the Script Editors in a webchat they did for Series 7:

There was a sketch in this week about something that happened last week, and of course there are running gags, but as a rule it's wiser to stick to the weekend/Monday's stories.

Here's the link for the full chat. It will be useful if you're new to the show:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kvs8r/features/livechat

How dare they record one of my jokes & not cut it.
This isn't what I pay my licence fee for.

Quote: TheJaw @ February 14 2013, 7:11 PM GMT

if you write about a topic that happened on a Tuesday are you less likely to be accepted than something that broke on a Friday/Saturday?

I'd agree with what's been said above - if you've got limited time, you're best bending your mind round the freshest news you can.

Except to say that if something you'd been kicking round suddenly turns into the joke it always should have been after the deadline has passed, you only lose one sketch slot in three or a one liner slot in twelve taking a punt on it.

You never know, it might bubble back up into the news again. I had one like this a while ago and it still got on. Actually, it was about same sex marriage, so turns out it would still be fresh-ish two series later. You can't guarantee it will go dead.

Thanks both. That web-chat is certainly very useful.