HIGNFY - Series 44 Page 9

The biggest problem with HIGNFY is the guest presenter ploy. The second biggest problem is that they think Alexander Armstrong would be the best permanent replacement.

With guest hosts, as we saw through half of this week's episode, they end up wasting an awful lot of time with gags relating to that host and their particular schtick. Alright, so they may often be quite funny in themselves, but it hardly creates a great atmosphere for biting satire, or keeping guests and regulars on their toes.

If HIGNFY has even the slightest delusion of being satirical - and Moore's reading out of the "Ian will explain" cue this week shows that it does - the format desperately, desperately needs a single, regular host who can offer consistency, reliability, and frankly just cut through the cheap host-based gags. They may be funny, but cumulatively they simply serve to detract from the satire.

Quote: Aaron @ November 27 2012, 1:18 AM GMT

If HIGNFY has even the slightest delusion of being satirical - and Moore's reading out of the "Ian will explain" cue this week shows that it does - the format desperately, desperately needs a single, regular host

The News Quiz has that, but now has a revolving door for the rest of the cast, most of whom either aren't funny at all or know nothing about the news or both (Rebecca Front, who appears to reveal that BBC bookers can't distinguish between "good actor speaking someone else's funny and incisive dialogue" and "the actor themselves, who is neither funny nor incisive"). I suspect that a satire show works best with a stable cast, because then firstly they aren't desperately attempting to top each other in order to get re-booked, and secondly the audience know the basic direction they're each coming from, so can fit what they say into some sort of context. HIGNFY is heading in a similar direction: it has Hislop and Merton (or at least the latter is present in body, if not in any other way) but the remainder of the cast is becoming rather non-entity, shouty and ill-informed.

Agreed that novelty guest hosts are o.v.a.h over now. But a massive revamp will do no-one any favours. We just need a decent permanent host. So, who does BCG campaign for?!

Not Armstrong, much as I like him, agreed that it'll be far too old boys' club.

Perhaps Jo Brand, would be interested to see her settle in to a more biting role given the chance.

Perhaps Simon Amstell for a bit of youthful anarchy (by BBC Two standards).

Shame Toksvig has been squirreled away to C4 :(

NB. A host could only be a host for a series rather than indefinitely, so there's still a variety and they announce upfront that it won't be forever but gives the chance for relationships and styles to develop.

Toksvig is wasted on a game show. It's a travesty.

David Mitchell or Andy Parsons

Quote: Harridan @ November 27 2012, 10:10 AM GMT

Toksvig wasted on a game show.

I'd watch that.

Quote: Pingl @ November 27 2012, 10:15 AM GMT

David Mitchell or Andy Parsons

Maybe Parsons. Not Mitchell and not Brooker. No offence to either.

I don't think it needs a permanent host, but it does need a host every week who knows what they are doing rather than gimmicky celebrity bookings.

I haven't heard Parsons do actual comedy since Parsons and Naylor. These days doesn't he just say describe things with strange intonation and wait for people to laugh at his voice?

Quote: Badge @ November 27 2012, 10:21 AM GMT

I don't think it needs a permanent host, but it does need a host every week who knows what they are doing rather than gimmicky celebrity bookings.

Yeah, but there's a limited amount of people on 'the circuit' who are realistically going to be booked. One host per series seems reasonable. Maybe Josie Long.

Quote: Harridan @ November 27 2012, 10:21 AM GMT

I haven't heard Parsons do actual comedy since Parsons and Naylor. These days doesn't he just say describe things with strange intonation and wait for people to laugh at his voice?

Ha, I dunno. At least it wouldn't be too different from the guest hosts at its worst, and at its best we know he's intelligent enough to not need a spinny visual tenuous comedy news prompt thingy.

What's that Angus Deayton fella doing these days? Didn't he used to do some TV presenting?

Quote: Harridan @ November 27 2012, 10:28 AM GMT

What's that Angus Deayton fella doing these days? Didn't he used to do some TV presenting?

No No No not that weasely oil slick of a creep back, can't stand him!

hehehe

Quote: Pingl @ November 27 2012, 10:39 AM GMT

No No No not that weasely oil slick of a creep back, can't stand him!

I really liked him as Victor Meldrew's nemesis. But I can see what you mean.

What about Mark Thomas, maybe a bit too much of a lefty though. The first person to suggest Nick Hancock goes to the back of the room!