HIGNFY - Series 44 Page 7

Quote: zooo @ November 26 2012, 11:04 AM GMT

Roger was great in The Saint and Bond, etc, but I fear once old people get too doddery they should be banned from presenting. (Hear that, Brucie?)

I know what you mean, it's a shame to see the slowing of the mental faculties, and maybe HIGNFY is too fast paced and he would have been better as a panellist. By the way, did I mention that Roger was also in the greatest TV western ever Maverick with my other boyhood hero James Garner...Nerdy drone....Nerdy drone...Nerdy drone.. Rolling eyes

:D

Ooof! Just watched this and it was like witnessing a car crash in extreme slow motion.

Come on HIGNFY - we like our senile elderly people wearing incontinence pants to be funny like William Shatner, not tragically close to death like Roger Moore.

From now on, just exploit the creaky, mentally ill, grave dodgers who act bewildered in a funny way. Nobody wants to spend their Friday nights examining their own mortality.

Have to say I agree. Nothing like a terrible guest host to make you appreciate people with presenting skills.

Why not get a proper host again? Is the guest host really a selling point to anyone..?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 26 2012, 12:34 PM GMT

Why not get a proper host again? Is the guest host really a selling point to anyone..?

Wouldn't that mean Alexander Armstrong would get the gig. Not sure I'm keen on that.

I'd love a permanent good host for NMTB, but a permanent host for HIGNFY would probably highlight the fact that the show is getting a bit stale. Much as I always look forward to HIGNFY it hasn't really been brilliant for a while.

I'd be quite happy if they got rid of Hislop and Merton as well. In my HIGNFY wet dream, it would be the holy trinity of Stewart Lee, Charlie Brooker and Frankie Boyle.

Now there is a show I'd run home to watch.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 26 2012, 12:56 PM GMT

I'd be quite happy if they got rid of Hislop and Merton as well. In my HIGNFY wet dream, it would be the holy trinity of Stewart Lee, Charlie Brooker and Frankie Boyle.

I think that much pure cynicism might melt people's TVs.

I'd watch that. It needs shaking up.

Quote: Harridan @ November 26 2012, 12:57 PM GMT

I think that much pure cynicism might melt people's TVs.

They can always redress the balance by having 'fluffy' guests from the world of politics and showbidness. (Who they can then metaphorically destroy in a cathartic festival of bloodletting and venomous bile!)

Stewart Lee and Frankie Boyle seem to hate each other. So it really would be like the good old days of HIGNFY.

A line up modern enough to drag HIGNFY out of the nineties and into the noughties.

Rather than getting rid of one of the only shows that most comedy fans agree still has legs, despite occasional shortcomings, can't we have a Stewart Lee-Frankie Boyle satire show as well? We can call it FrankLee. COPYRIGHTED! Mine, mine, mine. Someone pay me to develop it. I'm an actual writer, honest guv!

I genuinely think that it would be a sad and worrying day if this mainstream, trusted, funny show was changed because of the gripes of satire snobs, myself included. Lots of people who aren't necessarily 'into' comedy or politics watch this, and while of course there are always ways to learn and improve on everything, to radically alter what may be the only insight or opposition to how the country is run for a lot of people would be a helluva lot more damaging than having a show described on an internet forum as a wee bit bland at the moment.

Quote: AJGO @ November 26 2012, 7:55 PM GMT

Lots of people who aren't necessarily 'into' comedy or politics watch this

I really don't know how to respond to this statement. Are the programme makers living in fear of alienating the Friday night telly audience? If so, just cancel the show now. There's plenty of other stuff out there for those not into politics or comedy.