HIGNFY - Series 44 Page 8

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 26 2012, 10:55 PM GMT

I really don't know how to respond to this statement. Are the programme makers living in fear of alienating the Friday night telly audience? If so, just cancel the show now. There's plenty of other stuff out there for those not into politics or comedy.

Really 'really'? You don't think that as writers and comedy devotees we live in a tiny bit of a bubble when it comes to our views on comedy shows, and you'd rather cancel a show that you thought wasn't as good as previously rather than acknowledge that there is quite a large proportion of the population who don't care what we think but who get an accessible, intelligent, and amusing show on a weekly basis that is the only well-known and easily-accessible option for hearing the hypocrisy of important public figures and knowing that there are people devoted to keeping an eye on what happens in the echelons of power?

Maybe I'm falling into the trap of being too much of a writer and comedy devotee, but I mean it with all of my heart when I say that a country that doesn't have a mainstream satirical programme is a country in deep trouble.

Quote: AJGO @ November 26 2012, 11:07 PM GMT

Maybe I'm falling into the trap of being too much of a writer and comedy devotee, but I mean it with all of my heart when I say that a country that doesn't have a mainstream satirical programme is a country in deep trouble.

Yeah, we're not getting that. We're getting a tired, stale, format, fronted by disinterested comedians who are only there to pick up an easy cheque or flog their latest bit of tat.

The reason HIGNFY had such a high profile in the first place was thanks to years of hyper critical attacks on the great and the good. Now it's like watching some ropey old rock band creaking onto the stage to cash in on the fans.

Having too much discernment for a comedy show isn't nearly as bad as having none at all. They should re-vamp the format, bring in fresh blood and if it means losing some of the mainstream audience so that we get a really decent and funny satirical programme on the telly, then I am all for it.

The popularists can always switch over and witness celebs in a jungle eating bowls of maggots or watch fat girls dance with Bruce Forsyth.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 26 2012, 11:30 PM GMT

Yeah, we're not getting that. We're getting a tired, stale, format, fronted by disinterested comedians who are only there to pick up an easy cheque or flog their latest bit of tat.

The reason HIGNFY had such a high profile in the first place was thanks to years of hyper critical attacks on the great and the good. Now it's like watching some ropey old rock band creaking onto the stage to cash in on the fans.

Having too much discernment for a comedy show isn't nearly as bad as having none at all. They should re-vamp the format, bring in fresh blood and if it means losing some of the mainstream audience so that we get a really decent and funny satirical programme on the telly, then I am all for it.

The popularists can always switch over and witness celebs in a jungle eating bowls of maggots or watch fat girls dance with Bruce Forsyth.

It must be said it is a bit self satisfied, it feels like insiders picking easy targets, it hasn't much edge. I've never considered Merton a satirist, just a straight forward comic. It is a bit of a club now.

Quote: Pingl @ November 26 2012, 11:37 PM GMT

It is a bit of a club now.

That's why I hope they never let Alexander Armstrong become the permanent host, it can be very Oxbridge chummy-chums at times, with Merton being the only tokenistic 'working class' person.

I have to say I agree with RC. Merton might as well not be there most of the time, and Hislop can't carry the whole show when the guest host is just some celeb flogging something. It doesn't feel like satire watching HIGNFY, it feels like a panel show centred around news where occasionally Ian Hislop gives people funny looks.

I like HIGNFY. This week's was crap though.

Quote: Harridan @ November 26 2012, 11:47 PM GMT

Hislop can't carry the whole show when the guest host is just some celeb flogging something.

I agree back atcha Harridan.

Is it me or has Hislop really scaled back on the scathing attacks of both the government and the royals? Maybe he's becoming the 'establishment' and hoping for some honours and suchlike.

I don't like change. So I vote no getting rid of Merton and Hislop. Just start a new show alongside it with more satire or whatever you young kids are into.

Quote: zooo @ November 27 2012, 12:02 AM GMT

I don't like change. So I vote no getting rid of Merton and Hislop. Just start a new show alongside it with more satire or whatever you young kids are into.

Young kids? I will treasure those words forever :D

Quote: zooo @ November 27 2012, 12:02 AM GMT

They did that, called it "Mock the Week" (or summat like that) and it became apparent that doing something as consistently good as HIGNFY isn't as easy as it looks.

Quote: Badge @ November 27 2012, 12:06 AM GMT

They did that, called it "Mock the Week" (or summat like that) and it became apparent that doing something as consistently good as HIGNFY isn't as easy as it looks.

The problem with the early attempts at satire on MTW was more that they kept framing it with awkward parlour games better suited to Whose Line, so the more satirical parts of the show ended up being the least funny.

Quote: Badge @ November 27 2012, 12:06 AM GMT

HIGNFY is basically a straight transfer of The News Quiz, even transferring Hislop. I loathe Mock The Week, it's basically a competition for overly competitive comedians. The problem is with the changing host it has no chance to define its tone or satirise with any accuracy. It has become a blunt instrument as a work of satire, as a light entertainment programme it's fine.

Can we just have Mark Thomas and Marcus Brigstocke back on TV? I'll be happy then. HIGNFY can do what it likes!

Quote: Harridan @ November 27 2012, 12:13 AM GMT

Can we just have Mark Thomas and Marcus Brigstocke back on TV? I'll be happy then. HIGNFY can do what it likes!

Mark Thomas yes, his Channel 4 shows were brilliant, but it's a brave channel that will risk him, he's too good at what he does. I can never make up my mind about Brigstocke, I saw his live show and wasn't impressed, but I really liked Giles Wemmbley Hogg.

Brigstocke's stand-up is meh, but he's always the highlight of The Now Show for me and The Late Edition was great.