Why is Michael McIntyre so popular? Page 14

Does it involve jelly? :)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 27 2012, 1:22 PM BST

Woo! \0/

Now all I have to do is convert 20 million more British people to my anti-McIntyre manifesto and I've won.

Oh rwayne, when it comes to your constant, relentless, almost obsessive digs at me on every single thread on the BCG, there is only one thing that would make me truly happy. Can you guess what that might be?

Not digs at YOU!... more at what's written, whoever writes it. Perhaps more of my post will point out what's stupid about what you say because you say more stupid things than other people?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 27 2012, 1:02 PM BST

Well obviously, I'm slagging off Michael McIntyre, so I must be clearly mentals.

I never said you were "mentals" just that you seem to have some sort of McIntyre-phobia, an obsessive hatred disorder, you're like a dog with a, particularly floppy haired, bone.

I actually see RC's hatred as not at all personal to MM. It's just like my huge dislike of Eastenders, Heat Magazine, The Sun, The UK Top 40; populist rubbish, designed to entertain and sedate the masses, with no interest outside of getting as many viewers/readers/listeners as possible.

Unfortunately this is the way that media works, and anyone who can appeal to the most people will always win out. It's just a shame.

A bit of passion about things you are interested is always good.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 27 2012, 1:37 PM BST

Unfortunately this is the way that media works, and anyone who can appeal to the most people will always win out. It's just a shame.

There's a debate to be had about how much of a shame it is. Do popular comedians like McIntiresome actually attract more people to comedy, and thus benefit it? Or do they swamp all the exposure at the expense of the more eclectic, more interesting and less 'absolutely shit' comedians?

Quote: Marc P @ June 27 2012, 1:41 PM BST

A bit of passion about things you are interested is always good.

You certainly can't criticise al-Qaeda for it.

Quote: Nogget @ June 27 2012, 1:45 PM BST

There's a debate to be had about how much of a shame it is. Do popular comedians like McIntiresome actually attract more people to comedy, and thus benefit it? Or do they swamp all the exposure at the expense of the more eclectic, more interesting and less 'absolutely shit' comedians?

Well I can't say that I have known many new comics say that they were brought into gigging because of Michael McIntyre. Now Frankie Boyle on the other hand... He is responsible to for hundreds of shitty, godawful teenage twatbags telling rape gags and other unoriginal, poorly concieved 'shock humour' type subjects. They all saw him and thought "I CAN DO THAT!". I've never heard similar about MM.

Quote: Nogget @ June 27 2012, 1:48 PM BST

Reductio Ad A-Qaedaium?

I actually see RC's hatred as not at all personal to MM. It's just like my huge dislike of Eastenders, Heat Magazine, The Sun, The UK Top 40; populist rubbish, designed to entertain and sedate the masses, with no interest outside of getting as many viewers/readers/listeners as possible.

Yep, this is what I was driving at. Almost to the point where I wrote that I had nothing against McIntyre personally, just that he was a product designed for easy consumption.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 27 2012, 1:49 PM BST

shitty, godawful teenage twatbags telling rape gags and other unoriginal, poorly concieved 'shock humour' type subjects.

Yeah, stupid teenagers and their rape gags. You know what they need? A good raping. That'll sort 'em out.

*realies that I fall into that slot - then laughs, because I wrote 'fall into that slot'*

Quote: Nogget @ June 27 2012, 1:48 PM BST

They are the bomb.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 27 2012, 1:54 PM BST

Yeah, stupid teenagers and their rape gags. You know what they need? A good raping. That'll sort 'em out.

*realies that I fall into that slot - then laughs, because I wrote 'fall into that slot'*

:D

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 27 2012, 1:54 PM BST

They are the bomb.

What, you're a teenager? That explains a lot. :D

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 27 2012, 1:49 PM BST

Well I can't say that I have known many new comics say that they were brought into gigging because of Michael McIntyre.

But what about audiences? It's eminently possible that his legions of fans will eventually realise there's more to comedy than just him, and then they might graduate onto more exciting things. We can hope, can't we?

Quote: Nogget @ June 27 2012, 2:01 PM BST

But what about audiences? It's eminently possible that his legions of fans will eventually realise there's more to comedy than just him, and then they might graduate onto more exciting things. We can hope, can't we?

I'm keeping hope alive! The Comedy Roadshow certainly did a lot for standup.

I actually see RC's hatred as not at all personal to MM. It's just like my huge dislike of Eastenders, Heat Magazine, The Sun, The UK Top 40; populist rubbish, designed to entertain and sedate the masses

What do you think the masses should be doing? They're working 50/60 hours a week, are in debt up to their eyeballs, caring for elderly and infirm relatives, gradually marching towards death, and you think they should be listening to Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music and reading Anton Chekhov in his original Russian?

Quote: Jack F @ June 27 2012, 2:00 PM BST

What, you're a teenager?

Only for the purposes of grooming young girls online, otherwise I'm a fully grown human person.

Quote: chipolata @ June 27 2012, 3:16 PM BST

What do you think the masses should be doing?

How about evolving from a social and intellectual position they've retained since the war years? How about using all of the free education they've received to make intelligent and informed decisions? How about not being a tiresome stereotype all of the flippin' time?

'I think the police should machine gun the rioters, bloody little shits.'

'Did you see the police using a stun gun on that woman in Dale Farm? That is police brutality.'

Both of these comments were written by the same person on Facebook mere weeks apart. Her fickle and contradictory opinions were easily swayed by whatever distortion of the facts the media gave her. And yes, she is a Michael McIntyre fan.

The masses are easily led idiots who'll watch any old shit that's thrown on the telly screen. Too lazy, brainwashed, weak willed or apathetic to even think about complaining. You can't insult their intelligence because they don't have one.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 27 2012, 3:27 PM BST

The masses are easily led idiots who'll watch any old shit that's thrown on the telly screen. Too lazy, brainwashed, weak willed or apathetic to even think about complaining.

You don't know many masses then. All they do is complain.