Why is Michael McIntyre so popular? Page 9

Quote: rwayne @ June 22 2012, 5:51 PM BST

Is anyone telling you what you should like?

I am paying them £150 a year for the priviledge of being told what to like.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 22 2012, 6:07 PM BST

I am paying them £150 a year for the priviledge of being told what to like.

Well if you only have a TV for comedy and you don't like comedy on TV you're throwing away 150 quid.

Quote: rwayne @ June 22 2012, 6:09 PM BST

Well if you only have a TV for comedy and you don't like comedy on TV you're throwing away 150 quid.

I could always not pay it - oh wait, that's against the law. I am now legally obliged to pay Michael McIntyre's salary.

And people wonder why I am so critical.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 22 2012, 6:15 PM BST

I could always not pay it - oh wait, that's against the law. I am now legally obliged to pay Michael McIntyre's salary.

And people wonder why I am so critical.

It's not against the law not to have a TV though.

It's a bit like saying you're paying someone £150 to punch you in the face then complaining your nose hurts.

Quote: rwayne @ June 22 2012, 6:18 PM BST

It's a bit like saying you're paying someone £150 to punch you in the face then complaining your nose hurts.

I used to pay the BBC much less and they tickled my funny bone, it's only in recent years that they have turned into a complete nightmare.

But back on topic, I concur with the explanations offered earlier in this thread, Michael McIntrye is popular because he appeals to the lowest common denominator and there is no bar to his comedy stylings whether you be you young, old, man, woman, adult, child, rich, poor, posh, common or thick as shit.

He is all things to almost all people.

Ah, just reminded me, time to put the DVD in the slot and have a watch now...will think of you RC ;)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 22 2012, 5:49 PM BST

I don't assume people want that, quite the opposite. I am however free to criticise the tastes of the population at large.

Instead of criticising them, it might be more profitable to encourage them to broaden their horizons.

In fine art, you don't get Jack Vettriano or Thomas Kinkade in major museums, you get Picasso and Van Gogh. The latter are much more challenging, but are considered to be (amongst other things) more inspirational than the former, and although it's all subjective, I'm willing to wager that people find greater rewards with the more challenging work. Perhaps the same could be said of comedy; enjoy the easier comedians by all means, but consider that there might be even greater pleasure with the more difficult stuff.

Well a plague of locusts on your backside RC for dissing MM, the DVD won't work...damnini.

That's because it has already been rented and watched by 3 million other people. The Stewart Lee ones are in way better nick.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 22 2012, 7:27 PM BST

That's because it has already been rented and watched by 3 million other people. The Stewart Lee ones are in way better nick.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Shandonbelle @ June 22 2012, 7:25 PM BST

Well a plague of locusts on your backside RC for dissing MM, the DVD won't work...damnini.

*sighs* Guess I will have to act it out for you...

'(laughs) My wife and I were driving to meet some friends in the county...the country! Ooh don't go into the country my friends say (laughs), it's dark and scary and there are animals...(laughs) animals! I'm not an idiot, I know where milk comes from (laughs)...the fridge! Ladies and gentlemen, ladies and gentlemen, (flops hair wildly) I did the worst thing you can ever do with your wife, I was driving and I got lost. Lost! In the country! With my wife! (laughs)...etc., etc.'

:D That's a cracker!

Quote: Nogget @ June 22 2012, 6:53 PM BST

Instead of criticising them, it might be more profitable to encourage them to broaden their horizons.

I'd have a better chance of standing outside a McDonald's on a Saturday afternoon telling divorced Dads their kids will still love them if they don't buy them a Happy Meal and a McFlurry.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 22 2012, 7:39 PM BST

*sighs* Guess I will have to act it out for you...

'(laughs) My wife and I were driving to meet some friends in the county...the country! Ooh don't go into the country my friends say (laughs), it's dark and scary and there are animals...(laughs) animals! I'm not an idiot, I know where milk comes from (laughs)...the fridge! Ladies and gentlemen, ladies and gentlemen, (flops hair wildly) I did the worst thing you can ever do with your wife, I was driving and I got lost. Lost! In the country! With my wife! (laughs)...etc., etc.'

:D I like the sound of that, will reorder another one ;)

:D

Consider him ordered. ;)
Have decided to put my Morecambe and Wise on instead, it's been a while.

We all pay for things we don't like. Personally I can't stand "EastEnders" but some of my licence money goes towards it, also whenever I buy a product that is advertised on ITV I'm paying a tiny amount of money towards Paddy McGuinness or "X Factor" or some such shit.

That's the way the cookie crumbles I'm afraid, the only way around it is scrap your TV, don't pay your licence, don't pay a Sky subscription, never buy anything that is advertised on TV and, bingo, you are no longer funding anything which is broadcast which doesn't meet your approval.

But if he doesn't have a TV, he'll have to start reading books. :(