Why is Michael McIntyre so popular?

Why is it you think Michael McIntyre is so popular?
What makes him different to other comedians?

Are there people who dislike him for his type of comedy?
Is he a newer version of Lee Evans?

What do you think! Have your say!

Family-friendly jokes that have equally mass appeal in their subject. With his upbringing, one would hope he'd have developed a keen sense of humour; and indeed he has.

Plenty of people dislike him. His material is similar to Evans' in that it's pretty broad, but I don't think that his style is much like Lee at all.

Yes, and daring to be different, uncool, unladdish and unfilthy. I think it's women in particular who have found him so 'refreshing' and it's mainly them who've made him such a success. I'm not a big standup fan but I do think it's great that he can stand there and bond with a largely female audience doing safe stuff about being parents of children. Women love that sort of thing, he gives it to them and all the laddish standups are green with jealousy. :)

I think he can be quite filthy! He does some rude material about blow jobs and the like, I'm sure.
People do tend to talk about him as though he's 100% family friendly, but he isn't.

It's because he talks about what everyone experiences - things like going to the football, doing the washing, waiting for a bus, planning a holiday, making a cup of tea etc. Of course, as has already been mentioned, he can deliver some quite rude material (which, in my opinion, sits uneasy next to his other stuff).

He compares more favourably to other comedians. Someone like Frankie Boyle, you need to be really 'up' on what the latest political news is. McIntyre's topics don't age. And I think he will last longer than Peter Kay, because Kay is very much nostalgic and his references are frozen in the 1980s. With Kay, as the years go by, you have to cast your mind back further to what he's talking about. Referencing Tenko was okay in 2003, but in 2012 it's even more ancient.

Another reason, I think, is because he doesn't look in any way offensive. If you look like a paedophile, you're not going to liked by the masses. If you look more - and I'm wincing here - 'cuddly' and harmless, than you're going to be liked more. This worked for Kay too, I think.

Commissioners and the comedy industry in general seem to forget that the 16-30 year old demographic actually make up an ever dwindling percentage of the TV viewing audience, therefore a relatively "safe", older, more family friendly/mainstream act will clean up in terms of popularity (see also "Miranda", "Not Going Out", Jason Manford, Micky Flanagan, Peter Kay, etc).

My mum knows nothing about comedy but she knows of, and likes, Michael McIntyre, because he appeals to a large part of the population that has been ignored, comedically, because every one wants to be "trendy", "boundary pushing" and generally appealing to teenagers and the twenty-somethings.

Michael McIntyre is very funny, IMHO, and he's found a very broad niche which no-one was previously exploiting, he straddles what used to be "alternative comedy" (appealing to the youth and the rebellious) and "mainstream" (telling jokes that grannies and kids can laugh at).

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 15 2012, 12:49 PM BST

My mum knows nothing about comedy but she knows of, and likes, Michael McIntyre, because he appeals to a large part of the population that has been ignored

Yep. He's the only comedian I know of that every single member of my family likes, of both genders and from the very young to the very old.

People in the comedy industry seem to forget that probably about 99% of the UK population of 60 Million, have never set foot in a comedy club or even been to see live comedy, so any comedian who can appeal to these people will become massive compared to the acts who are appealing to a small percentage of the 1% of the population who are regular comedy goers.

Caught a repeat of one of his gigs on the telly box last night. Pretty much agree with all the above plus he is very good at his craft, the delivery in particular is very good at bringing the audience alongside. He makes you forget you're listening to material. Most comedians don't acheive this. Not sure if I've explained that properly.

Quote: Overlay @ June 17 2012, 11:40 AM BST

Caught a repeat of one of his gigs on the telly box last night. Pretty much agree with all the above plus he is very good at his craft, the delivery in particular is very good at bringing the audience alongside. He makes you forget you're listening to material. Most comedians don't acheive this. Not sure if I've explained that properly.

Do you mean is it like you been talked to rather than talked at?

I think he means that it doesn't feel stilted and pre-written, in the way that most comics have a very clear set up and punchline pattern. MM is very good at making every he says sound very natural.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 17 2012, 12:42 PM BST

I think he means that it doesn't feel stilted and pre-written, in the way that most comics have a very clear set up and punchline pattern. MM is very good at making every he says sound very natural.

That's sort of what I meant, if feels more like a conversation or they are telling about something.

Personally I tend favour comics who tell a kind of story, more than someone who focuses on word play or one liners. Even if I think the word play is clever, it is not something I could listen to for more than 5-10 minutes at a time.

yes, all that really.

Why is Cheryl Cole so popular?
Why is Dan Brown so popular?

Because the public don't care what the critics say.

Quote: Nogget @ June 18 2012, 7:56 AM BST

Why is Cheryl Cole so popular?
Why is Dan Brown so popular?

Because the public don't care what the critics say.

Even if, in some cases, they brutally assault a toilet attendant.