Why is Michael McIntyre so popular? Page 3

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 19 2012, 8:54 AM BST

Not at all, you don't find MM funny but a LOT of people do, that is why he's on TV a lot and someone like Stewart Lee isn't.

Though Lee now heads two series, so not too bad for a niche comedian!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 19 2012, 9:06 AM BST

Though Lee now heads two series, so not too bad for a niche comedian!

Not bad at all.

Personally I'd say that to a greater, or lesser, extent, ALL comedians are niche comedians but, occasionally, one or two will break through to become something bigger than that and become a "personality", I think McIntyre has done this, he appeals to people who wouldn't usually watch stand up comedy.

I just don't understand why people who don't like his style of comedy have to rubbish all the people who do find him funny, it's a very narrow minded view ("If you don't like what I like then you must be stupid").

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 19 2012, 9:12 AM BST

I just don't understand why people who don't like his style of comedy have to rubbish all the people who do find him funny, it's a very narrow minded view ("If you don't like what I like then you must be stupid").

To misquote a famous film, 'Forget it Tony, it's Internet-town.'

People be hating.

All this reminds me of a story David Baddiel used to tell.
That his mum always watched Hamish McBeth with the sound turned off because she just liked to watch the dog.
Sometimes people like simple things and sometimes they're the majority.

And sometimes people are very condescending. ;)

Not at all, you're being oversensitive.

What's better, watching an obscure anti establishment comedian with a handful of people on BBC Three and forcing yourself to work out when to laugh.

Or genuinely being amused with millions on BBC One and joshing about it at work the next day. But it really doesn't matter because it's just a bit of fun FFS?

Not sensitive, didn't for a moment think you were talking about me. Calling someone's work simple is condescending. That's all I'm saying! (Even if you were being complimentary.)

Simple comedy is an artform as difficult and satisfying as any.

Infact to prove it I'm going to post a sample from one of my recent writing jobs. Writing sketches for a Rodeo clown.

It's a very simple sketch so if it's simple, I'm patronising myself.

Quote: sootyj @ June 19 2012, 10:35 AM BST

Simple comedy is an artform as difficult and satisfying as any.

This. Just because the jokes are simple to follow and accessible to all doesn't mean they're not hard to write. If eveyone could do it then there would be no need for MM!

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 19 2012, 9:12 AM BST

I think it's good people can like different things. How boring would it be if we all liked exactly the same thing? It would make conversation boring if it was just I saw this, it's great and everyone just agreeing. Also would make getting tickets to anything a lot harder.

Here's one of my Rodeo clown sketches expect to see one in a week or so

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/24772#P885462

Well maybe simple is the wrong word. Or maybe it has just become loaded with negative meanings (to me anyway).
In my opinion, calling someone's work simple suggests you are saying he didn't put work into it.
But evidently you didn't mean that, so fair enough.

I was considering the other one that was a one man tribute to Titanic, featuring a motorised boat on wheels. It had bubbles coming out of a funnel and a guy dressed as an iceberg chases it around the Rodeo.

In a couple of months I will have permission to post the video.

Numerous professional, successful comedy writers - from all ends of the comedy spectrum - have commented to me that it's much harder to write clean, family-friendly comedy (Michael McIntyre, My Family), than to write something rude, laced with adult themes, or thought provoking.

'Simple' is definitely an unfair term to use. These are sections of comedy with entirely different agendas.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 19 2012, 8:54 AM BST

. Comedy is subjective but why, when lots of people do find McIntyre funny do you think they are "wrong" in some way?

Most people want nothing more from their comedy than be made to laugh, they don't want to be "educated" or "challenged" just made to laugh, what's so wrong with that?

Bernard Manning, Jim Davidson and Jimney Cricket all fall into your populist category of making the unsophisticated masses laugh.

I think lots of people are "wrong" about most things in life, Michael McIntyre is just an extention of their willful ignorance and group think mentality.

This is a comedy forum where fans get together to discuss, dissect and debate different humour related subjects. Why you are surprised that the Tesco of Comedy is getting a rough ride is beyond me.