Why is Michael McIntyre so popular? Page 7

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 22 2012, 11:24 AM BST

I think they are all very talented comedians... but it's not backed up by the material. there's nothing memorable

Disagree; some of those Tony mentions have got great, memorable material. Again, with Adam Riches, I often think about the shows of his I've been too. No, he's not a Bill Hicks-like act, but he's very, very funny. They're just not doing the sort of act that you want.

Is he the one with the leg?

Quote: zooo @ June 22 2012, 11:34 AM BST

No, he's English, won the main Edinburgh award last year, does crazy characters and involves the audience A LOT.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 22 2012, 11:35 AM BST

involves the audience A LOT.

*shudders*

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 22 2012, 11:35 AM BST

involves the audience A LOT.

*shudders*

Getting confused now. Michael McIntyre isn't popular because he does small stand up gigs in pubs, he is popular because he has been repeatedly plastered all over our television screens as BBC damage control after Sachsgate and Frankie Boyle.

If stand up does not translate well to television, then why is Michael McIntyre popular?

As for Adam Riches, what's he going to do on a panel show, suddenly leap into the audience in a desperate bid for material?

Quote: zooo @ June 22 2012, 11:34 AM BST

Laughing out loud

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 22 2012, 11:24 AM BST

- Bill Hicks, Sam Kinison, Rob Newman, Dave Chappelle and Jerry Sadowitz.

Three of these are American and the other two had their time on TV and for differing reasons decided it wasn't for them, I think you may be harking back to a Golden Age of boundary pushing stand up on TV in Britain which didn't really exist.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 22 2012, 12:02 PM BST

I think you may be harking back to a Golden Age of boundary pushing

I think you are 100% correct. Now ask yourself, why in a televisual comedy world where I'm force fed the likes of Sean Lock and Gina Yashere on an almost daily basis would I hark back to a Golden Age?

All I'm being told is - here is some bland crap, enjoy it or shut up.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 22 2012, 11:47 AM BST

As for Adam Riches, what's he going to do on a panel show, suddenly leap into the audience in a desperate bid for material?

What's what he would do on a panel show got to do with if he's a funny comedian or not? Hopefully a slot on 8 Out Of 10 Cats isn't the extent of his ambitions!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 22 2012, 12:22 PM BST

What's what he would do on a panel show got to do with if he's a funny comedian or not? Hopefully a slot on 8 Out Of 10 Cats isn't the extent of his ambitions!

I'm merely pointing out that the whole audience involvement 'schtick' is a con. Adam Riches isn't the first and certainly won't be the last. I wouldn't pay to see a film and then expect to sell popcorn or run the projector.

Any comedian who actively involves the audience should be shot in the head and buried by the railway tracks in an unmarked grave.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 22 2012, 12:35 PM BST

I'm merely pointing out that the whole audience involvement 'schtick' is a con. Adam Riches isn't the first and certainly won't be the last. I wouldn't pay to see a film and then expect to sell popcorn or run the projector.

It's not a 'con', his live act is amazing. Whether he can translate to TV is another matter, but he is a brilliant live performer and a great comedian.

Wait a sec, are you saying you don't think Sean Lock is funny?

Quote: zooo @ June 22 2012, 12:49 PM BST

Who? Me..? I like Sean Lock, yes.

Nooo, not you, Mr Carpark.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 22 2012, 11:47 AM BST

Getting confused now. Michael McIntyre isn't popular because he does small stand up gigs in pubs, he is popular because he has been repeatedly plastered all over our television screens as BBC damage control after Sachsgate and Frankie Boyle.

If stand up does not translate well to television, then why is Michael McIntyre popular?

Yes, but you're talking as if there's some golden age when edgy stand up comedians ruled the television world. There never was such an age.

Quote: zooo @ June 22 2012, 12:49 PM BST

I do not think Sean Lock is funny. I have seen him numerous times on QI and he just does a Rhod Gilbert - comes out with some mirthless garbage and then yells it over and over again until the audience is forced to laugh to get him to shut up.

He is however, not as rubbish as professional Cockney, Micky Flanagan who has seemingly stepped out a Pathe newsreel from 1947.