Why is Michael McIntyre so popular? Page 13

I like Michael McIntyre. I also like Frankie Boyle. Which is better?

Neither. Comedy's a subjective art form.

Quote: Badge @ June 27 2012, 12:24 AM BST

One of the other bizarre things is that some of the people who are vehemently anti-McIntyre-and-all-who-sail-in-her don't really care, but spend so much time and effort explaining why they don't care that it probably means they do care. About what, I've no idea.

Perhaps they don't care for McIntyre, but they do care about what they perceive as his effect on comedy? A mass dumbing-down?

Quote: Nogget @ June 27 2012, 8:37 AM BST

Perhaps they don't care for McIntyre, but they do care about what they perceive as his effect on comedy? A mass dumbing-down?

Good point

That and I saw his smiling monkey face on a poster on the tube this morning and instinctively wanted to punch it

I think you're getting your chickens and eggs mixed up.

eh?

Quote: Nogget @ June 27 2012, 8:37 AM BST

If only it was purely dumbing down then I'd be fine with it, but I fear it is much more insidious then that. As part of the BBC's remit to make us all nice middle class people, McIntyre has been the spearhead for all things twee, populist and family friendly.

His rise to power in the last 4-5 years has been astonishing. I know of no other comedian that has been given so many television shows in such a short space of time, almost all of them on the BBC. The fact that 'people' consume this garbage like chocolate flavoured crack is my real concern.

My gripe isn't with McIntyre, it's with the concerted effort to champion him as the acceptable face of comedy in an almost Communistic approach to omni-present idolatry and propaganda. You just can't get away from the f**ker.

Quote: sootyj @ June 27 2012, 10:19 AM BST

That and I saw his smiling monkey face on a poster on the tube this morning and instinctively wanted to punch it

Even on the mutha fudging Tube.

RC, I genuinely think you need to have some sort of therapy, perhaps you need to meet McIntyre and stroke him, let him touch your hands, like people who suffer from arachnophobia do with spiders?

Some of the comments on this thread might make more sense if created comedy was the most important thing in the world, or that it had the 'power' to change the world.

It isn't and it doesn't!

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 27 2012, 12:28 PM BST

RC, I genuinely think you need to have some sort of therapy

Well obviously, I'm slagging off Michael McIntyre, so I must be clearly mentals.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 27 2012, 12:28 PM BST

perhaps you need to meet McIntyre and stroke him

They tried to do the same thing with me and Bin Laden. Didn't work.

Quote: rwayne @ June 27 2012, 12:43 PM BST

created comedy was the most important thing in the world

Weirdly, you'd think there'd be a place where those who treated comedy seriously could meet up to discuss it.

Oh wait. Unimpressed

Quote: rwayne @ June 27 2012, 12:43 PM BST

Some of the comments on this thread might make more sense if created comedy was the most important thing in the world, or that it had the 'power' to change the world.

It isn't and it doesn't!

Comedy certainly can change the world. At the very least, it makes people laugh, which is therapeutic, as in "laughter is the best medicine."

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 27 2012, 1:02 PM BST

Well obviously, I'm slagging off Michael McIntyre, so I must be clearly mentals.

They tried to do the same thing with me and Bin Laden. Didn't work.

Weirdly, you'd think there would be a place where those who treat comedy seriously could meet up to discuss it.

Oh wait. Unimpressed

Or a place where you could obsessively rant about things while giving it an 'importance' it clearly doesn't have. Or coming to said place at every opportunity: first thing in the morning til last thing at night, while at work (presumably you have a job) while out and to an extent where your phone 'alerts' you to thread updates so you can log back in and rant some more til it gets to be all consuming...oh wait.

Quote: Nogget @ June 27 2012, 1:06 PM BST

Comedy certainly can change the world. At the very least, it makes people laugh, which is therapeutic, as in "laughter is the best medicine."

Certainly it's therapeutic...well humour is. That exists in everyone's life it doesn't need to be created by someone else. It appears that some get no pleasure from comedy at all though... if you have to disect every joke to have the satisfaction of 'knowing' how clever you are then it seems a little sad.

Quote: rwayne @ June 27 2012, 1:07 PM BST

Or a place where you could obsessively rant about things while giving it an 'importance' it clearly doesn't have.

Or you could come to the same place and lambast those who obsessively rant at every given opportunity, whether it be morning, noon or night. Because that is totally different.

For his next trick, rwayne will visit Mumsnet and ask 'why do you lot keep going on about your kids? Children can't change the world, most of them can't even tie their own shoes, bunch of tiny losers.'

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 27 2012, 1:12 PM BST

Or you could come to the same place and lambast those who obsessively rant at every given opportunity, whether it be morning, noon or night. Because that is totally different.

For his next trick, rwayne will visit Mumsnet and ask 'why do you lot keep going on about your kids? Children can't change the world, most of them can't even tie their own shoes, bunch of tiny losers.'

Or maybe I'll go on facebook and do it...oh no not on it.

Or maybe I'll play a video game about big strong soldiers...oh hang on.

Maybe spend a little less time looking at the world through a screen and a bit more through your eyes?... you'll be happier fella.

I'm totally on RC's side now. I wasn't before, but now I totally am.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 27 2012, 1:18 PM BST

I'm totally on RC's side now. I wasn't before, but now I totally am.

Woo! \0/

Now all I have to do is convert 20 million more British people to my anti-McIntyre manifesto and I've won.

Quote: rwayne @ June 27 2012, 1:15 PM BST

Maybe spend a little less time looking at the world through a screen and a bit more through your eyes?... you'll be happier fella.

Oh rwayne, when it comes to your constant, relentless, almost obsessive digs at me on every single thread on the BCG, there is only one thing that would make me truly happy. Can you guess what that might be?