Why is Michael McIntyre so popular? Page 16

Quote: sootyj @ September 4 2012, 11:42 AM BST

Yeh he played all this music from the 80s, these really shit jokes from comedy site for wankers and worst of all he had a Peterborough accent.

What a freak.

You got me banged to rights

Quote: Tuumble @ September 4 2012, 11:28 AM BST

I've said before Michael McIntyre is the only person to make me turn off an episode of Desert Island Discs. I had my opinion on him and I thought I'd give him a chance to redeem himself but as a person he came over really creepy.

Judge for yourself...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012jf8n/Desert_Island_Discs_Michael_McIntyre/

You clearly didn't hear the Norman Wisdom one - he picked eight songs by himself - and this was before his dementia.

He is really easy to like.. he might not be the most brilliant comedian but definitely very likeable. Thats what I think anyway

McIntyre is very popular but so is bringing back hanging, his comedy is lazy and appeals to the lowest common denominator. I think Frankie Boyle, whom I can't stand either is in the same boat but with an evil twist. They will both be consigned to the dustbin of comedy.

Me and my wife, who are both fairly discerning comedy fans, watched his Wembley show on Comedy Central last night and both laughed a lot.

Whether you like him or not I'm not sure how you can make accusations of his comedy being "lazy", I thought his material was excellently structured and he is a very physical comedian, he really "acts" out his material.

As for "appeals to the lowest common denominator", I'm not entirely sure what that means, it's not as if all his material is about the soaps, Big Brother, TOWIE, vajazzles, Facebook or other well worn stand up tropes, unlike a lot of comedians.

I think the fact that he's managed to break out of the circuit and appeal to the 99% of the public who don't go to comedy clubs is what irks "comedy fans".

I think what annoys me is his "you know what it's like when you buy a sandwich and it's not got mayo on" type of humour. It grates on me, it's too arch, comedy by numbers. As Stewart Lee says to the audience "I'm not interested in your lives." It's too bland, too uninspiring, but each to his own. As for physicality, I'm sure he is a fine performer but personally I find him irritating and I think 99% maybe overstating his popularity. John Bishop who can also fill arenas is brilliant, much of it observational, but with more soul, more depth. I guess the real problem is I don't believe McIntyre.

You've misunderstood my point, I'm not saying 99% of the public necessarily like him but I'm saying he appeals to "a percentage of" the 99% of the public who've never set foot in a comedy club.

My mum knows who Michael McIntyre is, she's probably never heard of Stewart Lee.

Many comedians have been popular in their time, it doesn't mean it will last or has any lasting value. Veiwing figures, audience numbers are great, but it does not guarentee longevity, Derek Roy was one of the highest rated comedians of the fifties, anyone remember him now.

Quote: Pingl @ September 9 2012, 11:29 AM BST

Many comedians have been popular in their time, it doesn't mean it will last or has any lasting value. Veiwing figures, audience numbers are great, but it does not guarentee longevity, Derek Roy was one of the highest rated comedians of the fifties, anyone remember him now.

Eh?

The question was "Why is Michael McIntyre so popular?" not "Why will Michael McIntyre be remembered in 60 years time", that's a completely separate point and one which we won't know the answer to for quite some time.

I doubt any comedians will be remembered for that long. As an art form, stand-up is pretty throwaway.

Quote: chipolata @ September 9 2012, 1:24 PM BST

I doubt any comedians will be remembered for that long. As an art form, stand-up is pretty throwaway.

Max Miller?

Quote: Tony Cowards @ September 9 2012, 9:32 AM BST

Me and my wife, who are both fairly discerning comedy fans, watched his Wembley show on Comedy Central last night and both laughed a lot.

Not that I wish to castigate yourself or your good lady wife, but you can't be both discerning comedy fans and purposely sit down to watch an entire Michael McIntyre show. It smacks of 'I'm not racist but...'.

I've already stated why I think MM is popular and who he appeals to, so won't be retreading old ground. I'd just like it if people didn't try to speak for the majority of 'discerning comedy fans' without the credentials to back it up.

Quote: sootyj @ September 9 2012, 1:26 PM BST

Max Miller?

Yup. And the fact that from the fifties onwards, more and more had stuff recorded or filmed and they still exist, and we still remember them today, means that comedy fans will forever rediscover and they will be remembered.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 9 2012, 1:36 PM BST

Not that I wish to castigate yourself or your good lady wife, but you can't be both discerning comedy fans and purposely sit down to watch an entire Michael McIntyre show. It smacks of 'I'm not racist but...'.

This is why terms like "comedy snob" get bandied around, apologies for enjoying something popular rather than being led by the "zeitgeist" or comedy critics who'd rather I liked something which was all chin-strokey but didn't actually make me laugh.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 9 2012, 1:36 PM BST

I've already stated why I think MM is popular and who he appeals to, so won't be retreading old ground. I'd just like it if people didn't try to speak for the majority of 'discerning comedy fans' without the credentials to back it up.

Where was I speaking for the "majority of discerning comedy fans"?

I was speaking about my own, and my wife's view, they are entirely personal opinions, I never claimed to be talking for any majority. I do consider myself a comedy fan as I view a huge amount of it, both professionally and for entertainment and, obviously, like everyone else, in the same way that we all consider ourselves to be "better than average drivers", I think I have fairly discerning taste in comedy.

I watched his show for an hour and Michael McIntyre made me laugh on several occasions, if this means I need to dragged in front of comedy's equivalent of The Hague for crimes against humanity then so be it.

Quote: Pingl @ September 9 2012, 9:55 AM BST

I think what annoys me is his "you know what it's like when you buy a sandwich and it's not got mayo on" type of humour.

Yeah, bloody excellent. I hate mayo.