Why is Michael McIntyre so popular? Page 17

Quote: Tony Cowards @ September 9 2012, 1:48 PM BST

I watched his show for an hour and Michael McIntyre made me laugh on several occasions

Several occasions that's a good hit rate. Everyone's a comedy snob, if you're not you'd like everything

I think some people have very particular tastes in comedy, which in turn makes them very picky and hard to please. Even though many of these people watch a lot of comedy, if this comedy is the wrong shape to fit into their comedy box, they will take a sledge hammer to it WHILE watching the comedy in question. A strong desire to think too much, to deconstruct the comedy in question, can and will take away from the enjoyment factor. It does not matter if it's a film or a book, etc, sometimes over analysis can destroy an act/story/piece and other times it can enhance your personal satisfaction. For an example, you would watch The Godfather with a differnt approach/headset compared to The Life of Brian!

Michael McIntyre doesn't fill many of my comedy boxes but he can and does make me laugh. He gets an unfair ride in terms of criticism but it's hard to be sympathetic when he has laughed all the way to the bank. The masses like him so he must be doing something right...

Quote: Bob Hicks @ September 10 2012, 6:54 PM BST

A strong desire to think too much, to deconstruct the comedy in question, can and will take away from the enjoyment factor.

What's to deconstruct? He does the same bland, unimaginative, middle of the road observational crap and faux outrage that every other dull arsed, unfunny comedian on the circuit does.

People know what they are going to get every single time they are served, it's McDonald's. Peter Kay has cottoned onto this money making formula with his constant Alzheimer questionnaire style of comedy.

The only other comic I can think that reached the same levels of public approval so quickly was Michael Barrymore. So if anyone has a spare fisted to death homosexual lying around, any chance you could chuck it in McIntyre's pool?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 10 2012, 9:10 PM BST

Peter Kay has cottoned onto this money making formula with his constant Alzheimer questionnaire style of comedy.

I couldn't agree more. If my wife makes me sit through the dreary cheese cake monologue again I may have to gnaw my own face off. This comedy of recognition is so bloody dull. The audeince may as well just have a seance and channel the early eighties. I don't care about betamax I was there it was rubbish. I don't want to be part of some strange comedy community where we all laugh at how daft things were when we was young. It's not comforting, it's lazy. I want it to stop. I do for some reason find John Bishop hilarious though, well I never said I was consistent.

John Bishop was astonishingly good on the Accused.

Quote: Pingl @ September 10 2012, 10:21 PM BST

I don't care about betamax I was there it was rubbish.

It was far superior to VHS but the way big business stitched it up VHS won.

I had a C5 and a C7 plus a camcorder.

Quote: Oldrocker @ September 11 2012, 12:49 AM BST

It was far superior to VHS but the way big business stitched it up VHS won.

I had a C5 and a C7 plus a camcorder.

All video was rubbish, always scrunching up in the machine. VHS was dreadful too, much prefer DVD.

Quote: Pingl @ September 11 2012, 9:13 AM BST

All video was rubbish, always scrunching up in the machine. VHS was dreadful too, much prefer DVD.

Well, yes. but that wasn't the point.

Heard an old Unbelievable Truth with McIntyre on it. It wasn't good. He was surprisingly unprofessional at reading the script, blaming the way it was written, and while he might have been forgiven for not realising the sundial was an ancient device, he went on to lose any remaining respect by trying to defend this ignorance.
I thought I'd grown bored of McIntyre bashing, but this lamentable performance gave me new reasons to dislike him.

Quote: Pingl @ September 10 2012, 10:21 PM BST

If my wife makes me sit through the dreary cheese cake monologue again I may have to gnaw my own face off.

Well why don't you ask your wife why he's so popular?
(I know we've switched to Peter Kay - but the argument's the same.)
Is she inferior to you - a lesser being?

Or could it be you have different senses of humour - finding different things funny?

I think this whole argument is a bit silly - rather reminds me of my own 14 year-old self railing against The Carpenters, when it was obvious King Crimson were better.

Quote: Lazzard @ September 11 2012, 9:29 AM BST

Well why don't you ask your wife why he's so popular?
(I know we've switched to Peter Kay - but the argument's the same.)
Is she inferior to you - a lesser being?

Or could it be you have different senses of humour - finding different things funny?

I'm afraid it's not so much the content as the constant repetition that gets me down. Of course comedy is subjective, simply stating you personally don't like something doesn't mean that it's inferior. But if we are not allowed to stress any preferences than we can all watch hours of Terry and June on loop and slowly go mad. There are no lesser beings, just different beings, although in your case...

Some things bear repeating, somethings don't.
Some people like hearing the same gags again - especially observational stuff because, essentially, the comedian is talking about your life - and everyone likes hearing about themselves.
Personally, I could watch Peter Kay all night - McIntyre wears thin after a little bit.

I've nothing against Peter kay he is a very talented comedian, although I feel he is now resting on his laurels, but good luck to him, his bank balance is a lot healthier than mine. I couldn't, however, watch him over and over again, his observations are too general, too misty with nostalgia. However, as you say, that's what makes him so popular, and there is no doubt he is a comedian that is loved as well as admired; a rare feat these days. There are comedies and comedians I can watch over and over, Hancock, Dave Allen, Rob Wilton, but it's personal taste, and to me more to do with some comedy having layers and constantly finding things you'd missed on the first watch. Not something I get with Peter Kay, once I've watched it, I've watched it.

Quote: Pingl @ September 11 2012, 9:52 AM BST

we can all watch hours of Terry and June on loop

Yes, please!

Quote: Pingl @ September 11 2012, 9:52 AM BST

I'm afraid it's not so much the content as the constant repetition that gets me down.

I've often wondered how much time Roy Clarke saved by characters repeating the previous words .

A made up example:

'You don't want to let them stay out too late.'

'You should always make sure they don't stay out too late.'

'Mine always stays out too late.'

A graphic demonstration of why I'm not a script writer but you get my drift?