The Office: An American Workplace Page 21

Quote: don rushmore @ January 30 2011, 12:03 AM GMT

Gervais is taking over when Carell leaves, so the rumour goes. Hence Brent being in the building.

Untrue, apparently

Quote: jhmagic1 @ January 29 2011, 11:59 PM GMT

I mean in terms of the story. Where were they and why were they there together. Why was David Brent in the USA?

The episode is not about Brent, that scene is it, just a nice little nod to the original for the fans as Carrell prepares to leave the show.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 30 2011, 12:05 AM GMT

The episode is not about Brent, that scene is it, just a nice little nod to the original for the fans as Carrel prepares to leave the show.

In that case, seems a bit shoehorned in Huh?

Does it matter, J? It was just included in the scene before the opening credits roll. No, it wasn't essential, but it was intended as a nice touch and that's how I saw it. I haven't seen the whole episode, but I'm sure people managed to get through it without too much worry.

Quote: jhmagic1 @ January 29 2011, 11:59 PM GMT

I mean in terms of the story. Where were they and why were they there together. Why was David Brent in the USA?

I am guessing you do not normally watch the show then.

The cold open is nearly always a little skit that has nothing to do with the story but just a chance to do something funny with the characters.

It was no more shoehorned in than any of the other bits of nonsense that they do pre-credits.

Personally I thought it was very nicely done, and far better contriving a plot line for the sake of a guest appearance.

Now that would be shoehorning.

For every Steve Guttenburg on Party Down there are whole later seasons of Will & Grace. Building episodes around a guest star rarely works.

Quote: Michael in London @ January 30 2011, 10:41 PM GMT

I am guessing you do not normally watch the show then.

Watched every show since season 1. I get the cold open thing. It was great to see Brent again, but when I heard he was going to be making this cameo I thought it would be part of a plot line. On reflection maybe it is better to have it as an unexplained cold open.

I think it would have been better done a few years ago. Leaving it so late into the run has built up expectation of it happening that you kind-of want something big. That was my initial feeling too when watching the episode.

It was so perfectly done though, just that moment for the two characters to see themselves, that I much prefer it to anything they could have done bringing Brent into an actual storyline.

Season 5 is resuming on Comedy Central next week.
Looking forward to it.

Been catching up with season 5. It got me thinking... This isn't the funniest sitcom, in fact I think I laugh out loud about 3 times per episode (if that!). It's also not got the best story arcs, probably because they're dragged out, I don't know?).

But what this does have is great characters. Especially Michael. He is a brilliantly vulnerable character, excellently played by Steve Carell. Along with Dwight, Angela, Andy, Kelly and Ryan. I really am hooked on the drama side of it. I would consider the whole show a light-comedy-drama, rather than straight out sitcom, although I know a lot will disagree.

I don't really enjoy the other cast members though. Apart from Darryl and Toby (who I hope returns (I'm on season 5 remember)) they don't really offer anything apart from being slightly odd characters. Maybe I need to watch a few more episodes but Creed for example, I just don't get. Plus, Stanley and Kevin don't do much for me either. The other women are quite good though, I suppose.

I'm a bit gutted I'm so far behind, so I can't talk about with anyone, or read this thread. But I suppose it means I can have episode marathon sessions for a while. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention Jim and Pam. There's a reason. I don't really likem them either. They have nothing on Tim and Dawn, probably because we were with them for such a short time that it didn't become boring. Don't get me wrong, Jim and Pam have good lines and Jim f**king with Dwight can be fun but I find Jim to be a bit of a dick and not really in a forgivable way. Probably because Dwight can be less twatish at times than his British equivalent Gareth, who we had no time to develop any sympathy for.

Yes.

Quote: Leevil @ March 1 2011, 4:46 PM GMT

Creed for example, I just don't get.

I really like Creed. He's a small but perfectly formed character.

Quote: chipolata @ March 9 2011, 1:22 PM GMT

I really like Creed. He's a small but perfectly formed character.

Agreed - we barely know anything about him and that's a major part of why he's so good! He doesn't appear in many episodes, but when he does speak, it's almost always hilarious.

They call hin Creed in real life, don't they?

Half way through season 6 now. :)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ March 9 2011, 9:15 PM GMT

They call hin Creed in real life, don't they?

Creed Bratton was in The Grass Roots back in the sixties.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Creed_Bratton

Ricky Gervais was just on radio 1 saying he is growing a beard for the american office. Is he appearing in it again?