The Office: An American Workplace Page 23

Quote: chipolata @ May 20 2011, 9:49 AM BST

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a320480/catherine-tate-favourite-for-office-role.html

No fecking way!

Catherine Tate! Sick

I've never watched the American version of The Office, always thought it would be like seeing a loved one in a hospice...

Then you've missed out on some great comedy.

Yes. It's better than the UK version, especially once it gets going (though not so much recently)

Quote: David Bussell @ March 2 2010, 11:20 AM BST

Just watched the first truly disappointing episode of this, Series 6, episode 15. Neither story resolved itself in a satisfying way and the laughs were very thin on the ground. I love this show but they're coasting a bit on our affection for the characters at this point. Still, hoping it's a one-off.

5 more to go till this one.
I'm on Episode 10

Been watching the first few episodes and the casting seems massively inferior to the original, which is surprising in a way. It seems pretty poor so far, I'm tempted to skip to series 2, though I can't see it getting that much better...

Quote: Vader @ June 29 2011, 9:35 PM BST

Been watching the first few episodes and the casting seems massively inferior to the original, which is surprising in a way. It seems pretty poor so far, I'm tempted to skip to series 2, though I can't see it getting that much better...

It does. Although the American version has a great cast.

I'll take this one Stott.

It gets a lot better from the second series on & makes it's own identity.
In series 1 they are re using the UK scripts to a certain extent.

Don't give up.

Quote: Vader @ June 29 2011, 9:35 PM BST

I would just have to echo the above two posts really. The first series is basically just characters you don't know reading the lines of others - it genuinely isn't until the second that you start to see them develop their own identity.

The first episode of the second series is an excellent example of what eventually becomes the US version's strength. It's longevity means you know alot more about all the backup characters and they really start to influence what happens to the key group.

I like that the bit at the bottom of this thread is about David Brent and the British Office.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ June 29 2011, 5:25 PM BST

Yes. It's better than the UK version, especially once it gets going

I find it absolutely incredible that anyone can say this. The whole point of the concept is to document office life. The US version is not based in any sort of reality. David Brent became a caricature at times in Series 2, granted, but he was ultimately punished for his ridiculous acts by getting sacked.

There is no way that Michael would've kept his job after all these years with all the things he's said and done. Just throwing in the odd "sales are really good under his leadership" line is lazy. You can also not have documentary comedy go on for seven or eight years. The premise has been stretched to breaking point and it shows.

Jenna Fischer is beautiful though.

Quote: Millsy @ July 6 2011, 12:24 PM BST

I find it absolutely incredible that anyone can say this.

It's not that odd that some people may have enjoyed the American version more than the original; it's a funny show with great characters.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 6 2011, 12:27 PM BST

It's not that odd that some people may have enjoyed the American version more than the original; it's a funny show with great characters.

They probably shouldn't be compared if I'm honest, they're so far removed from eachother. I guess I liked the subtlety of the UK version and don't like the fact that everyone has to be a character in the US series.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a328602/james-spader-officially-joins-the-office.html

I'd say The US Office is ultimately better as had more episodes and therefore more minutes of good TV. My heart will always be with the UK Office though.