The Office: An American Workplace Page 20

David Brent is going to make a cameo on Jan. 27th's episode.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/19/ricky-gervias-reprise-role-nbc-the-offic/

It's interesting to read the various responses to this topic- I'm a huge fan of The Office UK version so when I initially heard about the American reinvention, my heart sank. However, it is true that it must be viewed as a separate comedy- rather than a version of the Gervais/Merchant creation. Just wondering if anyone could give me your opinions on the differences between American and British humour? And what that might reflect about the cultures themselves? Any great reinventions you could share with me, either US comedies to UK or vise versa, would be fantastic too. :)

Quote: MTpromises @ January 19 2011, 8:05 PM GMT

That promises to be bizarre.

Quote: peter gazzard @ January 18 2011, 9:58 PM GMT

Toby and Andy

These are particularly good because there's no equivalent in the UK version.

Quote: chipolata @ January 20 2011, 9:20 AM GMT

That promises to be bizarre.

I know, right? For one thing they're going to have to work on the assumption that the American pilot never happened - or else Brent and Scott have had some eerily similar experiences.

Quote: MTpromises @ January 19 2011, 8:05 PM GMT

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/19/ricky-gervias-reprise-role-nbc-the-offic/

Americans don't tend to like loser characters although Seinfeld was the exception . They were all losers apart from Jerry

I need to get back on track with this. Haven't watched any episodes since midway through season four, I think.

Spoiler.

Michael meets Brent. Gervais cameo.

Dont worry about spoiling it - his cameo is the cold open and was shown last night.

Just watched the episode...funny as always.

Quote: Cat1 @ January 20 2011, 5:55 AM GMT

Just wondering if anyone could give me your opinions on the differences between American and British humour?

British humour gives us Last of the Summer Wine.
Amercan humour give us Jackass.

We are two nations joined by a love of people pointlessly hurtling themselves down hills.

Just watched the David Brent cameo. A nice nod to the origins of the show.

Shocking that the UK version premiered ten years ago!

Quote: Tiggs @ January 28 2011, 10:49 AM GMT

Dont worry about spoiling it - his cameo is the cold open and was shown last night.

Just watched the episode...funny as always.

Diffrence is one is timeless humour(LOTSW) while the othr is puerile oonsense IMO

There was no reason for his cameo, where were Michael and David when they met in the recent episode? A lift? Where?

Quote: jhmagic1 @ January 29 2011, 11:12 PM GMT

There was no reason for his cameo,

Yes there was, Carrel is leaving the show so it was a nice little pre-credits nod to the original. It was just supposed to be a nice little moment for the fans.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 29 2011, 11:56 PM GMT

Yes there was, Carrel is leaving the show so it was a nice little pre-credits nod to the original. It was just supposed to be a nice little moment for the fans.

I mean in terms of the story. Where were they and why were they there together. Why was David Brent in the USA?

Quote: jhmagic1 @ January 29 2011, 11:12 PM GMT

There was no reason for his cameo

Gervais is taking over when Carell leaves, so the rumour goes. Hence Brent being in the building.