Red Dwarf X Page 2

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 7 2011, 9:15 AM BST

Given the financial success of the Inbetweeners film, the Red Dwarf crew must be seething that they didn't get to do their film, particularly given the larger fan base for Red Dwarf.

Yeah, but how many succesful comedy sci fi films can you think of compared with the number of succesful comedies about sex mad teenage boys.

Quote: chipolata @ September 7 2011, 9:31 AM BST

Yeah, but how many succesful comedy sci fi films can you think of compared with the number of succesful comedies about sex mad teenage boys.

Well, yes, but I was just thinking fanboy numbers. I'm presuming most of the people going to see Inbetweeners are fans of the TV show?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 7 2011, 9:35 AM BST

Well, yes, but I was just thinking fanboy numbers. I'm presuming most of the people going to see Inbetweeners are fans of the TV show?

I don't know. I just don't know.

Quote: chipolata @ September 7 2011, 9:37 AM BST

I don't know. I just don't know.

Yeah, I mean, it's all speculation, innit. I ain't got no empirical evidence to hand, merely my own prejudices.

Be interesting to see how well Inbetweeners does overseas where they've got no idea about the telly programme.

Interesting is a strong word.

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 7 2011, 11:05 AM BST

Interesting is a strong word.

:P

Quote: chipolata @ September 7 2011, 9:58 AM BST

Be interesting to see how well Inbetweeners does overseas where they've got no idea about the telly programme.

It's reasonably popular on BBC America. Not a smash hit I don't think, but I know a few people who watch and love it on there.

I've not seen the last series yet. Didn't last 10 minutes in because it was like somebody took something I really enjoyed and made it shit.

Quote: Aaron @ September 7 2011, 2:38 PM BST

It's reasonably popular on BBC America. Not a smash hit I don't think, but I know a few people who watch and love it on there.

Gee, I love your British clunge!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 7 2011, 9:15 AM BST

Given the financial success of the Inbetweeners film, the Red Dwarf crew must be seething that they didn't get to do their film, particularly given the larger fan base for Red Dwarf.

A big difference in budgets though perhaps?

Doug Naylor was offered a budget of £6m I think to make the Red Dwarf movie but turned it down. I think the figure they wanted to raise was around £12m and they admitted that they would have had to attract a whole new audience to make it profitable and not just the existing fans.

Fact: Red Dwarf X will only be a hit if, during the end credits, a v/o tells us where Danny John-Jules will be appearing in theatre.

I hope Red Dwarf's a big success for Dave. The audience for Back to Earth was very good, so hopefully that bodes well.

Quote: Leevil @ September 7 2011, 2:59 PM BST

I've not seen the last series yet. Didn't last 10 minutes in because it was like somebody took something I really enjoyed and made it shit.

I unfortunately watched all of the show. That includes Back to Earth as well. I can identify where you are coming from with what you are saying. I felt like that for the whole of series 7 and 8 and the BTE special. Morale for another series just isn't as high as it should be with me. I love the show so I do. I've liked it since I first saw it back in the late 80s. To me the show has long since passed its sell by date judging from the way series 7 and 8 and BTE went. I don't want this show to be known as the sci-fi version of Last of the Summer Wine and run for longer than it should have.

As a die hard Dwarfer, I'm naturally looking forward to it. I've seen 'Back To Earth' (thought some of it was a bit flat, quite impressed they still carried it off though), and think it'll be interesting to see how Dave fares with a full series. But the main bone of contention for me is... why? Why are they doing another series? Admittedly, the last two series housed by far the weakest material, but that doesn't necessarily require there to be a better send-off. Too many great shows have been wrecked by revivals, or simply by just running too long. And I'd rather not have that happen to The Dwarf, cheers. I'm excited for the new run, but given a choice, I'd rather have my memories of the truly excellent episodes left alone.

I really don't get this idea that new episodes, even if rubbish, can effect the past episodes and somehow make them worse.

Shit Red Dwarf is still better than the vast majority of other comedies so I'd rather they keep going as long as possible. And beyond.

"Series 2,571 was so much better than the rubbish series 1,945 blah blah blah..."

Dan